The dumbest thing you ever did in RimWorld.

Started by Dr. Z, June 10, 2015, 06:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

So we have threads about the funniest and the most evild things, now it's time for the dumbasses.

First Alpha 11 colony, second day on the ice sheet biome, after my usual 3 hours of colonist picking.
I ordered my people to deconstruct a small stone room to build up my main room and storage because of lack of wood. Nicky stood inside the room when deconstructing the last piece of wall and the falling ceiling clean decapitated her.

Today I invented the shamequit.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Shinzy

oh I've dropped many a roof on colonist deconstructiong the last middle pillar of the building

but my stupidest moment still has to be the massive infections in my colony with one doctor
and he couldn't handle them all, I lost over half my population =P
the dumbo part was that my base was built inside one of those new cryptopod shrines, I had 6 empty
caskets to dump the infected inside and treat them one by one. Guess if I had the brains to make use of them =P

applause!

Lady Wolf

The first dumb move I ever made was my first time building a food freezer, I wound up placing my coolers backwards along the outer wall and raised the temp of the room to 200ish and nearly killing my colonists with heat stroke when they went to have breakfast.

By far though the dumbest one was in my first game when trying to turn my main corridor of the colony into a last stand kill box with gun turrets every other square with loads of batteries in the walls near them for emergency power. (and it was on a flat map so I'd made the colony entirely out of wood with nice 4 block thick exterior wood walls.)

I didn't realize turrets and batteries go boom when destroyed, at least not until an electrical short much later in the hallway at night...

The short discharged the 12 batteries causing enough damage to blow out the turret it happened next to, and the chain reaction sent the entire string of turrets plus batteries up in flames which the wooden walls and flooring readily agreed with, and the resulting inferno nicely traps my sleeping colonists in their rooms and the heat spike kills them long before any of them can dig their way out of their rooms or even hope to fight the fires.

Had any of them survived the impending roof collapse from the raging inferno gutting the base would have likely done them in anyway.

When first learning this game I think the player is a bigger danger to themselves than anything the AI can cook up.  8)

Coenmcj

During the testing phase for A11, I made a neat little colony with vents everywhere to equalize temperature throughout the colony... I also accidentally put on not one, but two Coolers on backwards trying to cool down the 60+ C temperatures inside and not noticing until my last 2 colonists started dying from heatstroke as to what had happened.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Riftmaster

I recall one time I discovered a steam vent deep inside a mountain.

I had to rapidly wall it off (with stone of course) to avoid cooking my base, but one of my colonists decided to wall himself inside. 

Luckily I noticed in time.

Oddly enough, I usually use geothermal as my main power source, and in early game the space around the generator (I put them in 10x10 rooms to protect them from raiders and separate them from my base, as they require outside venting) doubles as a prison.

At one point on a tundra game I was micromanaging the missing piece of roof to keep the temp from cooking my prisoners, and still keep them warm.  I decided to stop after I realized they were just cold, not dying.

Listy

Up until recently I supplied all my orbital trade beacons with power...

Devon_v

Quote from: Listy on June 11, 2015, 02:17:42 AM
Up until recently I supplied all my orbital trade beacons with power...
They don't need it...?

RickyMartini

That's the joke.

On my first playthrough, I built everything out of steel because I really didn't realize that one could change material......  :-[

Katorone

Quote from: Skissor on June 11, 2015, 02:03:07 PM
That's the joke.

On my first playthrough, I built everything out of steel because I really didn't realize that one could change material......  :-[

Same here!  What?! I need to build mortars out of gold?!
+1 for roof collapsing on pawn... still happens.

Listy

llunauk

Recently I built a ship to escape the world from and forgot to load up 99% of my colonists.  I can imagine them watching the launch with tears in their eyes as their escape ship flew off!  In my defence they were moving some far away resources on a very big map and others were on a hunting trip.  We'll never forget you Colony 27!

MeowRailroad

I keep forgetting to make growing zones, cookstoves, and butcher tables, because everyone has survival food, and I usually don't pay much attention to alerts. Well, I just lost another colony to starvation. The whole "hunger" system should be removed because it's so unrealistic. I mean, if you don't eat anything for awhile, it's not like you're going to starve!  ;D
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

ItchyFlea

I don't know what the dumbest thing would be for me, as there have been quite a few...

The funniest would have to be having all 3 of my colonists die to a single psychotic squirrel. I was busy laying out plans for a mountain base and ignored the alert, as I didn't think my unarmed colonists would lose.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

hyperkiller

had  a firefight with all my colonist next to a motor, raider damaged it and everyone died instantly.. it was either my 1st or second time playing and was back in alpha 7 i think

Lady Wolf

Another dumb one was when playing with the enhanced defense mod for the first time. I built some firing port style walls with the mistaken thought that the enemy couldn't shoot through them, and lined one entire wall of my primary bases front room with them.

A short while later when a raid happen my guys are lined up behind the wall, standing on top of the batteries I never bothered to remove...

I'm sure you can guess how this ended when the enemy gun fire popped the batteries under my colonists feet.