Random Starting location

Started by Sorenzo, June 11, 2015, 05:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorenzo

Hey

I know this has been mentioned before, but I didn't find a suggestion thread for it, and I think it's almost a cheap idea, and one I've been hoping for for months.

All I want is a button that selects a random square on the world map when you're starting a colony.

I like randomizing as many parts of the start as I can - I always start with the first three colonists offered. Usually I pick a random location by rolling a number between 1 and 100 on both axes and guestimate what spot on the map that corresponds to. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm cheating because my selection will always be biased since I'm only really able to estimate the general region Random.org wants me to start at, and then I'm left to actually pick a spot, which isn't random at all... At best, it's arbitrary.

So, yeah... a button that selects a random square on the map. I'm guessing there's a mod for it. I don't imagine it'd be really difficult. It's easy to make a button, and it's easy to generate a number based on the world size. I don't know if it's easy to make the button select a specific location, though, because I haven't looked at the code involved. All that said, I also don't imagine it's high priority since only wannabe math nerds are gonna care, and even then they won't care too much. Unless they have OCD. Which I don't, but I'm autistic and that's close enough. ;-)

But I thought I'd put it out there.
Have a wonderful time with the new alpha, everyone! I haven't even selected a starting location yet...

Adamiks

+1 if this will be optional.

Sometimes i'm selecting my starting location with closed eyes :D

pajok

Sometimes i'm selecting my starting location with closed eyes :D

Me too! ;D

ciditi

+1 I was just thinking this the other day.  Sometimes I just want a random location.

puddlejumper448

You don't have to randomly guess where to start, the game gives you coordinates. the default world size is 200x150, Random number both of those and then on the landing site selection, where it tells you temp, rainfall, elevation, etc. there are "Debug Coordinates" (see the attached pic). The 200 is Horizontal and the 150 is vertical, just use your numbers and find it on the map. I recommend rolling 3 times though so you don't have to minimize if it puts you in the ocean.

That being said, it is a lot of steps to take everytime, I would love a button that does it also, +1

[attachment deleted due to age]