Gas Masks

Started by Peaches, June 11, 2015, 10:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peaches

Now that we have toxic fallout, it only makes sense for us to have some way of actually being able to go outside during said event. So why not have a gas mask? Of course this would make it so that the person would be invulnerable to the fallout but could give severe penalties to mood (no one likes to wear a stuffy gas mask), penalties to shooting (its hard to see out of them) and maybe some slight movement penalties if you want to further make it difficult (make them big and clunky like world war 1 era masks). Make it possible for people to go outside and do work while in the fallout but make it so that there is a severe trade off with impaired mood and ability (also maybe make impaired work speed or something). 

Kegereneku

One of the first thing I though when the event was announced. Then Tynan added Area to protect colonist

I would say, why not ?
But it would make the game more about surviving post-apocalypse death world.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Adamiks

+1 for gas mask/hazmat suit.

MrWiggles

I dont get this kind of suggestion. It doesn't seem surprising, or obscure, add on for the two new atmosphere based events that gas masks could be helpful.

So like... Tyron, and the testers that were already play this must be aware of it.

So whats the point of the suggestion?

NoImageAvailable

Haven't tried A11 yet but from the sounds of this event (colonists take constant damage while outside) it seems like the kind of event that actively detracts from gameplay. I mean, what kind of solutions are there to deal with this? Make your entire colony one structure. Now the only choice is whether you build it in a mountain or outside, but either way, the solution is trivial, the only effect this has on gameplay is further discourage outside colonies and make sprawling village type colonies no longer viable.

Overall it reduces the amount of viable playstyles in return for nothing but superficial variety. I would consider adding additional mechanics to deal with this event mandatory just to make it worth having in the game at all.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

MrWiggles

If the solution was trivial, wouldnt it be implemented?

Or more aptly, if the proposed solution was trivial and fun wouldnt it have been implemented? Are we now assuming that the Dev is incompetent?

Assuming the Dev is competent.
Then this isn't a hard inference.
If it was trivial, but removed, then it must have detracted from the game greater then the two new events.
If it was fun, but none trival, then its been pushed back for a future release, as there are none obvious problems that stand in its implementation.
Though please go on, about new events you havent played and how their disastrous. Shame on Tyrion for experimenting.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 12, 2015, 07:13:38 AM
If the solution was trivial, wouldnt it be implemented?

I mean the ingame solution to the event is trivial: if you have a mountain colony you just keep your colonists inside, if you have an outside colony you slightly modify your layout so it has no outside spaces (a mountain colony in the open essentially) at minimal cost and also keep your colonists inside. The only major changes are that you can no longer have a colony split into different structures nor outdoor growing ops (something which was already non-viable on many biomes and is also trivial to deal with).

QuoteThough please go on, about new events you havent played and how their disastrous. Shame on Tyrion for experimenting.

If you have an issue with my opinion, offer arguments, not snappy sarcasm.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Kegereneku

Haven't tried A11 yet either but this fallout event look like a excellent addition.

NoImageAvailable, you say that it encourage on building inside mountain as if doing so didn't have its load of disadvantage. Maybe Tynan could compensate more -example- by making event efficient against mountain-base but I can already hear the complain coming that Mountain/killbox are supposed to be easily defensible... like that "A11 Rant".

Fallout are temporary like every Events and zone area seemingly allow to deal with them efficiently enough regardless of the shape of your colony.

So your "actively detract from the gameplay" rant sound nonsensical. Not everybody build mountain base with indoor farm.
So I fail to see the point of this sudden criticism (plus, we haven't even tried it yet).
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

TLHeart

I have, and am presently in a toxic fallout event that has lasted 15 days in game... I do not build mountain bases, but out in the open, with detached buildings...It has been fun, dealing with a mech raid, and a pirate raid during the fallout.... 

And the zones are helping keep the colonists working, inside and outside. As their toxic build up grows to a point I don't like, I restrict them to inside, they still path through outside areas to get to bed, and to work, but the toxic build up reduces when inside. I have restricted all activity to the base region, to limit exposure time for those outside... don't want them walking allover the map at this time....

And the toxic fallout affect all plants and all animals also.

here is a screenshot of calvin while sleeping who has a toxic buildup of minor, and he is assigned to the base zone. He does outside work most of the day.

and here is chiyoko, who has a serious build up of toxic fallout... she is restricted to indoor activities, but she does path outside between the buildings... yet her build up is reducing each day.  this way she can sleep, eat, and clean while staying relatively safe.

Gas masks would make this a very easy event to counter, and then their would be no reason to even have the event.  And just how many citizens have gas mask at home? very very few.  The only way I see gas masks in the game, is to make them hard to obtain, and the filter would clog and stop working and need replaced, and those filters would need to be researched, and then crafted.

TLHeart

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 12, 2015, 07:06:00 AM
Haven't tried A11 yet but from the sounds of this event (colonists take constant damage while outside) it seems like the kind of event that actively detracts from gameplay. I mean, what kind of solutions are there to deal with this? Make your entire colony one structure. Now the only choice is whether you build it in a mountain or outside, but either way, the solution is trivial, the only effect this has on gameplay is further discourage outside colonies and make sprawling village type colonies no longer viable.

Overall it reduces the amount of viable playstyles in return for nothing but superficial variety. I would consider adding additional mechanics to deal with this event mandatory just to make it worth having in the game at all.

The reworked mood system will cause problems for those who only stays indoors. Just staying indoors does not work with a long event. You would really have to have a wide open design, with LOTS of beauty, comfort and joy, to counter the negative thoughts.

JimmyAgnt007

Id add a haz-mat suit to this suggestion and go so far as to suggest a toxic biome for the game, complete with plants and animals evolved to survive.  Constant fallout would be interesting, maybe with high wind periods where the weather is clear.  Acid rain (could be a regular event in other biomes) could damage regular clothing and weak building materials.

I tested an early build that had a glitch that didnt allow the fallout to end and so it for months and months before i downloaded a newer build and it ended.  I had to quickly mine out a mountain for metal and struggled to build indoor food production.  Made some stasis pods to store people while i built up my food reserves.  It was the most fun i ever had and added some long term stress. 

ciditi

Quote from: TLHeart on June 12, 2015, 03:48:36 PM
Gas masks would make this a very easy event to counter, and then their would be no reason to even have the event.  And just how many citizens have gas mask at home? very very few.  The only way I see gas masks in the game, is to make them hard to obtain, and the filter would clog and stop working and need replaced, and those filters would need to be researched, and then crafted.

I agree.  I initially suggested a hazmat suit in the Public Testing forum as a counter to the toxic fallout event.  However, like you said, if it totally counters it, it would make the event useless aside from killing all of the local flora/fauna.

I could still see a hazmat suit possible, but implement the quality & condition system.  Only excellent quality, 100% condition suits would prevent any toxic build-up.  All all lower quality/condition items would merely slow the build-up.  Make the suits hard to make, only use certain materials (plasteel?) and a lot of it. Make crafting difficult, high chance of catastrophic failure where the materials are destroyed.  Anyway, etc, etc, etc, I think there would be a number of ways to balance the addition of a hazmat suit.

I also like your idea of the filters.  Give them a short usage life-span and make them difficult to craft, or only buyable from a merchant (like AI cores from exotics), etc.  Make it so once a filter is exposed it's contaminated and degrades down to 0% after some amount of time.  Hell, make it an active air scrubber mask that requires battery power to function to constrain the time colonists can hang out in the fallout.  Lots of ways to balance this type of addition.

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 12, 2015, 04:25:04 PM
Id add a haz-mat suit to this suggestion and go so far as to suggest a toxic biome for the game, complete with plants and animals evolved to survive.  Constant fallout would be interesting, maybe with high wind periods where the weather is clear.  Acid rain (could be a regular event in other biomes) could damage regular clothing and weak building materials.

I tested an early build that had a glitch that didnt allow the fallout to end and so it for months and months before i downloaded a newer build and it ended.  I had to quickly mine out a mountain for metal and struggled to build indoor food production.  Made some stasis pods to store people while i built up my food reserves.  It was the most fun i ever had and added some long term stress. 

I also like the idea of a toxic biome, or maybe toxic areas on a map, implemented like marshland currently is.  I'm currently playing an ice sheet biome (admittedly on easier difficulty) just because a lot of the fun is maintaining and managing survival in such a bleak enviro.

Adamiks

"And just how many citizens have gas mask at home? very very few."

How many citizens have power armor at home?

MrWiggles

Elixiar

Not played alpha 11 yet.

But even something like "emergency respirators - slows radiation damage by 10%" I'd be happy with by the sounds of it. Yeah it's a pretty boring upgrade and doesn't really change much, but I just want more to research. The gas mask thing could be a lot of awkward micromanaging unless they did it automatically on going outside during the event.

However, all these suggestions are pretty good.
At the same time, Tynan has probably not included them for a reason. Seems like people are doing fine in open bases without them so maybe it would be better suited as a mod.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist