Project K9 (Third Times the Charm!)

Started by Ramsis, June 12, 2015, 09:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Alright boys and girls, some of you may remember Project K9, a very well received mod from many alphas ago that added dogs, wolves, and training to RimWorld. You could tame wild dogs/wolves and they would hang around your base, go haul things, go eat things, be dogs essentially which was the complete goal in the first place.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3593.0

Fast forward, the two devs that I had working under me for it moved on in life/gave up/etc and we were stuck with a non-updating mod that a lot of people liked... BUT WAIT, YOU CAN SAVE IT!

I'm not good with the tech side of RimWorld and honestly I work most of the day and barely have time to do anything anymore, but I know how much people loved K9 and was sad to see the devs bail out. I'm not going to lie, I'm desperate at this point. K9 was the coolest concept and one that a lot of people wanted to see added but it got snuffed out way too early; we now have Wargs that are actually using my old Wolf model and the Wargs have all the medical stuff added in now meaning any person coming into the project should have a hell lot less work to do.

I'm not opposed to possibly talking money at this point. I want this mod back, others want this mod back, and if it's done right Tynan may be willing to accept it into Vanilla but I need a whole mess of help from someone who is dedicated and ready to go.

Any takers?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Lady Wolf

Look for a pm from me within the hour.  ;)

isistoy

I had a look at it and it's a tough one to tame, but worth the pain revisiting.
From what I saw during the last hour or so, some defs will need merging with vanilla ones...
Probably also, some of the custom jobgivers...
Then, textures paths...
I am just scratching the surface, I am not a modder (yet) and it would (obvioulsy) take some effort to be revisited...
Happily, sources are in a repository, which is really handy.
I might be interested, but only if someone with rim mod structure knowledge jumps in as well...
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

Ramsis

I'm thinking about forming Team K9; it's something that will help flesh out the mod and keep it along until we can bother Tynan to adopting it for Vanilla use.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

isistoy

Didn't someone told you already somewhere on the forum: you can change your signature, floors are now things?
:D

Back on subject, I curr. try to cross-check what could possibly go wrong with the Pawn's specific mod behaviors (hunt and haul orders).
Might be worth reactivating it chunks by chunks, before i get my head messed-up completely :o

HBKRKO619

If Project K9 come back, I will be happier than happy :D

isistoy

Only just spawning the dogs, right now

[attachment deleted due to age]

isistoy

If you would be so kind to precisely remind us about the Tame ability and every interaction aspects you had between dogs and colonists? What behavior before and after Tame? When dogs spawn on the map?

Thanks in advance

Ramsis

Okay so, you would send a colonist to go tame a wild dog, it kinda randomly yay or nay'd the chance of taming the dog based on the social level, and when tamed the dog became a friendly of the colony. You weren't supposed to be able to control the dogs perse, they would linger around your base and go randomly haul things that were tagged for hauling.

Before hauling dogs were passive creatures that would sometimes hunt for food and otherwise just wander around eating food and corpses. They could "pop" corpses and they would turn into meat.

The overall goal is to add pets that can be used for things around the base. Hauling was a big deal back in Alpha 5, but now with their fur coats they have high tolerance to cold and low tolerance to heat, they had dog beds they could sleep in, and we had a breeding system for a short while where sometimes a male and female would breed and two or so puppies were spawned.

With the introduction of the medical system I believe we need to look at the prospects of implants and bionics for dogs that increase random functions. Having dogs should bolster joy and morale around a base, means we can also include dog lover and dog hater traits.

Petting should be a thing, toys should be a thing, chasing dogs or dogs chasing should be a thing, dog specific furniture and "doggy doors" would make plenty of sense.

I'm throwing this out there now, if anyone wants to talk to me directly about Project K9 or joining Team K9 talk to me in a PM here or contact me on:

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/youmadbro

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Ramsis

This is the version of Project K9 that was being worked on by Typ3Cast before he was in a rather horrific accident and had to move on from Dev work.

This version works with version 0.8.671 rev23427 as it's primary. Consider this stepping stone to be the most up to date version we have access to folks. I can't speak for bugs or troubles.

[attachment deleted due to age]

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

isistoy

Ok. Better start with this one, then.
Thanks

isistoy

I posted a technical call for some help with biographies for our doggys.
The mod is re-upping and progress is made on spawning and taming, but our backstories are not adapted to future wishes.
Still, some work to be done for the colony jobs to be up, mostly because they rely on these backstories and skills our dogs will have.
If we can get to properly define these for the pets, then I should be able to put you to work with xml edition to create them.

Link to the post: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13768.msg141137#msg141137

isistoy

Hello, hello,

Update on progress:

I am currently running a dev version with nearly all previous features of the mod.
Some rework for key features has been made, so if you knew the mod already, you can expect a few changes in behaviors...

Of course, it's still in progress and a 1st test version is not yet ready for the team, but will be this week-end.
The project is pushed through Github now, helping to keep track of changes.

Now, these are a couple screenshots of progress you'll find below, to show a few things like

• Sleeping and needs
  • Downed after hunting beasts they shouldn't :D
  • Being tamed by a colonist
  • Trying to defend the colony against threats
  • Hauling with other colonists (change)

Screenshots
http://imgur.com/gallery/c8Oav

Other updates will be done here soon.

HBKRKO619

Great :)
Continue like this guys, good luck :)

isistoy

Small update for people looking at this:

we now have a little team of people and there is a version in early testing stages for them.
New art is also being made or planned to be made, but most importantly, some new ideas and extensions are discussed on a daily basis.

Just so you know we are doing it and having a ton of fun in the process! Can't say exactly when we will be releasing it, but it is on its way, for Alpha 11.