Performance

Started by Weller, June 12, 2015, 07:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weller

Hi,

I've been following the development of Rimworld for a long time now, and would really like to start playing the game, however im worried my old laptop will struggle, I would like to know roughly how the game would perform especially towards the end game...

It's an i5 second gen 2.5ghz, 6gb RAM and a GT525M 1GB

I will appreciate any kind of advice and help...

Kubouch

You should be OK. I have i5, 4GB RAM, integrated graphics and it runs just fine.

chaouki

My netbook with an AMD C-50 (1Ghz), 4GB RAM and integrated graphics can handle the game at least with smaller maps sizes so I think you shouldn't have a problem playing with your system

Bodog999

You got better stuff than me, I'm running on an 7 year old laptop and I play the second to last map size always, I barely have lag.

Devon_v

The game is not graphically demanding, consisting almost entirely of billboard sprites. The simulation can lag on large maps with large numbers of humanoids, but it unlikely to be an issue playing normally.

laser50

Been able to play this on a super old Dual-Core 2 GHZ Intel processor, integrated graphics and 1 GB of RAM. So you should be able to, too.

Lady Wolf

This game will play on pretty much anything given it's basic level of graphics, especially with the high end graphics button unchecked in the options menu.

The only downside I run into with very large maps is the distance to resources, (from base to cargo pods and ore veins) as well as hunting expeditions have to range pretty far out.

This can be an issue in that your people can nearly starve/grow too tired to work by the time they reach their destination not to mention if someone gets seriously injured and is in need of rescue chances are they'll be dead before you can reach them and get back to base.

Adamiks

I don't think you will get computer that wouldn't run Rimworld. I have 2x3GHZ CPU, GPU with 128mb 64bits, 2GB RAM and i can play on big colonies on (smaller one) big map + biome with less plants (because plants are FPS hungry).

To play Rimworld you will mostly need CPU and on second place - RAM.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: Adamiks on June 13, 2015, 12:38:45 PM

Loads of free time helps too.  ;)

Seriously though, one major asset for RW is a widescreen monitor (20" + imho)

I play mostly on a 24" at 1920x1080 and it's more or less perfect. On smaller screens (14" or so) at 1024x768 resolution, the icons and menus can take up a lot of the screen which can make base building and panning arounf the map a pain.

skullywag

I "play" Rimworld almost daily on a surface pro 3 (i7) and it runs flawlessly so yeah cpu is paramount.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Adamiks

Quote from: Lady Wolf on June 13, 2015, 12:51:09 PM
Quote from: Adamiks on June 13, 2015, 12:38:45 PM
Seriously though, one major asset for RW is a widescreen monitor (20" + imho)

I play mostly on a 24" at 1920x1080 and it's more or less perfect. On smaller screens (14" or so) at 1024x768 resolution, the icons and menus can take up a lot of the screen which can make base building and panning arounf the map a pain.

True. I'm playing on 1440x900 and i must say that i would like to have a little more space. On smaller monitors this would be just painful.