Murderous thoughts

Started by Listy, June 11, 2015, 04:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

Quote from: Devon_v on June 11, 2015, 01:04:22 PM
Quote from: Skissor on June 11, 2015, 08:56:24 AM
Plus, even your pictures you posted show damage around 20 and somewhere.
But considering five traps were involved the expected average would be 80. (One trap wouldn't spring)

I actually set 20 traps. 10 Plasteel and 10 Steel.
First guy triggered two, third guy triggered one.
Second Volunteer triggered three and the forth six.

this was to be fair pretty rough and ready testing to see what sort of damage you'd get.

RickyMartini

I just made some extended testing and came to the conclusion that the average damage/trap (steel) is around 15-17.

Now I don't know how to read code so if someone would find out the actual average damage this would be pretty neat. Or maybe Tynan can give us the number?

Lady Wolf

I think the issue with damage variance is the various armor and clothing the targets are wearing?

Has anyone tested it with nudists/naked targets and see if the damage is more even?

I agree however, traps would be handier if they had a higher incidence of hitting the legs of the target to slow them up some. (60-70% of the time?)

RickyMartini

It should make a difference (just like for any damage)

TLHeart

Dead fall traps will instant kill a squirrel, damage a boar, hurt a dear..... I don't expect them to kill raiders... And they really are not spikes from the ground up, but from the description, they are a suspended spiked weight, that is dropped onto the target.  They are not intended to damage the legs.

Lady Wolf

I'm sure it won't be too long before we have bear traps, Punji pits, and a few other nice traps added in via various mods.

b0rsuk

Why should traps that fall on enemies from above focus on lower body ?

Traps are free damage. They don't cost much and don't use any power.

Tynan

Earlier in development they actually did hit the legs.

It was insanely OP because it would never kill anyone. But it would incapacitate everyone. Hitting the upper body means traps aren't a stupidly easy way of getting new recruits.

They may be a shade underpowered. That said, they're also extremely cheap. You can re-use them over and over for nothing more than the cost of a few seconds for a colonist to reset them, at no danger to yourself.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: Tynan on June 12, 2015, 07:21:02 PM
Earlier in development they actually did hit the legs.

It was insanely OP because it would never kill anyone. But it would incapacitate everyone. Hitting the upper body means traps aren't a stupidly easy way of getting new recruits.

They may be a shade underpowered. That said, they're also extremely cheap. You can re-use them over and over for nothing more than the cost of a few seconds for a colonist to reset them, at no danger to yourself.
Tynan, you got to remember that taking some one off at the calf area can kill then very fast. Example (sorry if its to gruesome). Here in my home state we had a gentleman who lost his fork lift licence do to misuse and the next step was him being let go. So he was moving boxes and the forklift got stuck in a forward tipping motion, leaning almost, into a rack that he was getting the box. He rushed to get the other forklift to move it, The first forklift he used slipped, (the one he is on now is a open faced stand up one) the first one fell, catching him with the forks in the right spot in the leg (dont remember that major arteries in the leg) he bled out before he could dial 911. Long story short a dead fall trap with spikes could kill you instantly no matter if its the leg or not. I was gonna question that my self too.
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Mikhail Reign

Re: no targeting the legs because it's OP - couldn't the traps just target the feet? I'm pretty sure I've seen colonists get around without a foot (not the whole leg). It would drastically slow them down but still not incapacitate them? Or just make them 100% to take off a leg - sure new colonist, without leg. Also it's not like you can target specific pawns - Useless Larry is just as likely to get caught as Awesome Randal.

Lady Wolf

It should be possible to code the traps so they can't rip of legs as well, limiting their ability to incapacitate but still let them target legs/feet to slow down the enemy?