New Randy

Started by Silvador, June 13, 2015, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

"Randy's event chances are affected by population (somewhat)."

OK, so, I have played with Randy from the very beginning of my Rimworld playing experience, and I love him. He can be unforgivingly brutal one moment, and then immensely generous the next, or just straight up random. This is why I love him as a storyteller. Nothing in life can ever truly be predicted, especially if you are dropped into an unfamiliar environment and forced to survive. I understand that Random is/was probably intended as a "more challenging/difficult" AI, due to his randomness, but it's that very randomness that makes me choose him 99.9% of the time, not because of difficulty, but because of pure unpredictability. That unpredictable nature, for me, gives the game another level of realism that simply doesn't exist with storytellers that "progress" in difficulty depending on the player's own progression and development.

So, when I saw in the notes for the most recent release that Randy's event spawning chances were tweaked to consider the player's population, I honestly felt a little... dismayed. For this reason I just have to ask, exactly how extensive was this tweaking? Are these changes going to be noticeable, or negligible? Just how random is Randy if the chances of him spawning an event are effected by the player's own actions?

Dr. Z

That was exactly my thought too and I also would like an answer to that question.
Prasie the Squirrel!

skullywag

protected override float IncidentChanceAdjustedForPopulation(IncidentDef def)
{
float num = 1f;
if (def.populationEffect >= IncidentPopulationEffect.Increase)
{
num = Find.Storyteller.intenderPopulation.PopulationIntent;
}
else
{
if (def.populationEffect <= IncidentPopulationEffect.Decrease)
{
num = -Find.Storyteller.intenderPopulation.PopulationIntent;
}
}
num = Mathf.Clamp(num, 0.4f, 2f);
return def.chance * num;
}

in case it helps.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Adamiks

+1 for old Randy! In A9 (not in A10, because this bug with storytellers) Randy was my favorite storyteller.

Blizz

I could see if it's like, the size of a raid (Something about a 25 man raid on a brand new colony seems a little unfair).

However I do agree, full randomization on the story teller pls.

SSS

Quote from: Blizz on June 13, 2015, 08:31:55 PM
I could see if it's like, the size of a raid (Something about a 25 man raid on a brand new colony seems a little unfair).
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it is "unfair".

Blizz

Quote from: SSS on June 14, 2015, 12:45:52 AM
Quote from: Blizz on June 13, 2015, 08:31:55 PM
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it is "unfair".

Totally! It would be "unfair", but I would also love for it to be totally random. I'd be playing Cassandra if I wanted a curve. :p

Silvador

Bump? Would still like to hear more on this matter.

And to skullywag, I appreciate the gesture, sadly it means nothing to me as I don't know how to read code; it's all just moonspeak to my brain.

Axelios

I can speak some languages of code, and from what I can tell of the code skully posted, the chance of an incident increases or decreases when the population increases or decreases. No effect on size of incident that I can tell. That doesn't sound very interesting to me, it just means that when people die it gets quiet and when people join it is more likely to get ""randy""
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Silvador

Quote from: Axelios on June 19, 2015, 04:51:32 PM
I can speak some languages of code, and from what I can tell of the code skully posted, the chance of an incident increases or decreases when the population increases or decreases. No effect on size of incident that I can tell. That doesn't sound very interesting to me, it just means that when people die it gets quiet and when people join it is more likely to get ""randy""

So, in short, Randy and Phoebe got jiggy and named their love child Randy II.

I can live with this, I guess. It would still be nice to maybe have an option to elect to play with "old" Randy.