do mechs/evil ships kinda ruin the game for anyone else???

Started by mc858, June 16, 2015, 02:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

i appreciate the added difficulty - but my problem is-
1- fights take too long and ruin the pace of the game IMO
2- they just arent as fun to kill as tribals/humans
3- evil ships just suck lol

anyone else ???? lol i caught myself just quitting after getting invaded by a buncha mechs.....its wierd because i actually look forward to big human raids but i seriously cant stand these robots anymore lol

Euzio

They can be a pain in the early stage when you don't have sufficient defences or weapons to deal with them. But there are still methods to take them on. They just might require more effort than usual.

Axelios

I'm currently doing an Ice Sheet map, and I have been struggling to survive. When an evil ship crashed down, I knew there was no way I was going to get rid of it with my people. I had only had two colonists who weren't incapable of violence, and they weren't the ones with enough cold tolerance to avoid freezing to death if they were go try their luck.

I knew that the psychic attacks were only going to get worse. So I did the only humane thing I could do. I took my one psychically deaf psychopath, and had her euthanize the entire colony. I'm sure it's what they would have wanted.

Fast forward a year in-game, the landscape is littered with the bodies of visitors and pirates who froze and/or went crazy from the extreme psychic effects of the evil ship wreckage, and my colony now consists of my one cheerful psychically deaf psychopath, and a couple of relatively happy psychically dull folks I selected from the doomed visitors.

So, there are ways to deal with evil ships. Including just letting them rust. :)
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Tynan

Quote from: Axelios on June 16, 2015, 02:49:35 AM
I'm currently doing an Ice Sheet map, and I have been struggling to survive. When an evil ship crashed down, I knew there was no way I was going to get rid of it with my people. I had only had two colonists who weren't incapable of violence, and they weren't the ones with enough cold tolerance to avoid freezing to death if they were go try their luck.

I knew that the psychic attacks were only going to get worse. So I did the only humane thing I could do. I took my one psychically deaf psychopath, and had her euthanize the entire colony. I'm sure it's what they would have wanted.

Fast forward a year in-game, the landscape is littered with the bodies of visitors and pirates who froze and/or went crazy from the extreme psychic effects of the evil ship wreckage, and my colony now consists of my one cheerful psychically deaf psychopath, and a couple of relatively happy psychically dull folks I selected from the doomed visitors.

So, there are ways to deal with evil ships. Including just letting them rust. :)

That is so genius; I never even thought of using the evil ship like that :p
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

milon

Wait, Tynan, you missed The Cult of the Gift?   o_O

EDIT - Link:  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5570.0

Adamiks

Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2015, 03:03:28 AM

That is so genius; I never even thought of using the evil ship like that :p

Wait, wait! Tynan is a creator of evil ships and he don't even know about Evil Temples? :O

What what what?! ;D

mc858

wow thats awesome...i wouldnt have thought of this in a million years lol

slamo

Evil ships are pretty easy to kill. Build six sentry guns around it, each at a distance of 1 or 2 tiles. After the last one is built have them all target the ship. When the mechs spawn, they attack the guns, which blow up and destroy the ship.

The trick is to have just enough guns to blow up the ship but not so many they also blow up the very valuable AI core.

Next experiment: surrounding ships with IEDs instead of sentry guns.

Way to stop this exploit: update the game so there's a 5-tile no build zone around ships. =)

lusername

Yeah, in the IRC, I've named this the "Jattenalle Defense" after the guy who came up with it there months ago.

Darkfirephoenix

I for my part love the tin foil helmets (are they added with a mod?), I have a ship part on the other side of the map for 3 years and tbh it's far more helpfull than any kind of defense (ofc you get mad animals etc. but the fact that sieges solve themselfes without me stepping in is pretty nice)

lusername

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on June 17, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
I for my part love the tin foil helmets (are they added with a mod?), I have a ship part on the other side of the map for 3 years and tbh it's far more helpfull than any kind of defense (ofc you get mad animals etc. but the fact that sieges solve themselfes without me stepping in is pretty nice)
Are mad animals actually a PROBLEM, though? Is it really BAD that critters will charge the turrets and convert themselves into meat, saving you the bother of hunting them?

Nasikabatrachus

At one point about six months ago I was working on a mod to have a player-built building with the same properties as the evil ship part, with the idea that it would defend a colony's cryptosleep tomb indefinitely. Of course, one can get the same results by putting everyone in their pods while a ship part is on the map, so that's no big deal.

To address the original question, I like the evil ship part, but if it occurs more than once I just go to dev mode and destroy it with the dev tools. I vastly prefer even sieges to getting more than one ship part simply because I find the idea of it happening more than once implausible.

My favorite thing, though, is getting raiders and mechanoids to fight, and a ship part is a very good way to do that.

TheNewNo2

I lost my last game because the ship landed in an area almost entirely surrounded by mountain, making an assault impossible. My colonists slowly went mad and eventually I gave up.

slamo

I've also had it land on my farm, freeze-destroying 100% of my crops.