do mechs/evil ships kinda ruin the game for anyone else???

Started by mc858, June 16, 2015, 02:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdr.Keen

long range artillery and mortars, no problem at all.
be water my friend!

lusername

Quote from: slamo on June 17, 2015, 09:49:42 PM
I've also had it land on my farm, freeze-destroying 100% of my crops.
If the loss of a single crop is an existential threat to your colony, it won't survive the nearly-weekly crop blights that do the same thing.

CheckSix

Well, I just had my first "evil ship" experience. I built 6 turrets within 1 - 2 squares as was suggested, but this didn't destroy the ship, nor did it kill the centipedes. I went back to my save, and built more turrets. but they also were not enough to destroy the ship and kill the centipedes. I went back AGAIN, and this time, I had 20 turrets specifically targeting the evil ship and whatever emerged from it (that is apart from the other turrets already defending the base [and sadly out of range]). Well, I had to mine every bit of steel on the map, and sell my soul to the trader to buy all his steel, but in the end, the 20 EXTRA turrets worked. In the meantime, all my colonists went berserk, bashing each other, and most are beaten pretty badly. I got the "valuable AI core" but it's damaged (hope I can repair it). Now to deconstruct everything, and sit back and count the total cost. Then major repairs everywhere, then we can see where we're going.
YES, IT RUINED THE GAME FOR ME. Please remove this from the game, or de-buff it or make it easier to kill.
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things.

keylocke

cyborg snipers + shielded bait = mech killers.

seriously, even with just cyborg snipers focus firing on a single target can easily wipe it out usually less than a minute/ per centipede. (assuming your snipers are careful shooters with high shooting skills)

focus fire your snipers on scyther > incendiary > charge rifles > minigun and then use a shielded pawn as bait and let him bunker on the side of a mountain.

mechs are only dangerous when they're going on a raid. mech ships are just sitting ducks when you have at least 1 sniper, just shoot and let the mechs spawn, get out of range, then start sniping the scythers > centipedes. then when the mechs are dead, send someone with high dps to finish the job.

NemesisN

When a Evil Ship lands I just place mines all around it and build one turret near by to shoot the ship (or you can use a colonist with sniper)

Once I force shoot couple of times at the ship with the turret the bastards get out and blew the f* up

those who get lucky and survive get heavily damaged and are near death so its easy to finish them off with Mortar, turrets or snipers

8)
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

TLHeart

Quote from: CheckSix on June 26, 2015, 01:21:04 AM
Well, I just had my first "evil ship" experience. I built 6 turrets within 1 - 2 squares as was suggested, but this didn't destroy the ship, nor did it kill the centipedes. I went back to my save, and built more turrets. but they also were not enough to destroy the ship and kill the centipedes. I went back AGAIN, and this time, I had 20 turrets specifically targeting the evil ship and whatever emerged from it (that is apart from the other turrets already defending the base [and sadly out of range]). Well, I had to mine every bit of steel on the map, and sell my soul to the trader to buy all his steel, but in the end, the 20 EXTRA turrets worked. In the meantime, all my colonists went berserk, bashing each other, and most are beaten pretty badly. I got the "valuable AI core" but it's damaged (hope I can repair it). Now to deconstruct everything, and sit back and count the total cost. Then major repairs everywhere, then we can see where we're going.
YES, IT RUINED THE GAME FOR ME. Please remove this from the game, or de-buff it or make it easier to kill.

Built your turrets too close to the ship, and probably too near too each other. 5 spaced turrets will destroy the mechs that spawn with ease, then you destroy the ship, with the remaining turrets, forced target, or with colonists... you have days of in game time before the psychotic drone causes problems, if you have some positive moods. 

Euzio

As long as it comes at a good time (not too early in the game and when my colonists have sufficient equipment to fight), then I see Evil Ships as a quick and easy way to earn silver (The AI core sells for loads).

Usually I have 2 ways of dealing with them.

If they fall near a power conduit line or one of my outside geothermal generators, I built a row of turrets within range of the ship, a sand bag row slightly behind (at least 3 blocks away in case turret explodes), line all my colonists with ranged weapons behind and fight it out with whatever spawns.

The 2nd option, is for when I have sniper rifles for my colonists. Those with sniper rifles would pop the ship from far to bring the mechanoids out, at which I would engage in hit-and-run tactics with them. If they chase me, I lure them to my base turrets and let them get killed. If not, I simply snipe them till they are dead.

christhekiller

I usually don't have too big of a problem. Typically I'll have it surrounded by all my colonists. The only time I've ever had problems is when it spawned when my colonists were still stuck with pistols and a survival rifle

mc858

Serviette Union

Last time an evil ship crashed I mortared it until the mechs popped out then left it alone for a while. After some time it sent out a psychic wave that drove nearby animals mad. Two packs of elk/deer and a load of boars that had been wandering around in the snow then converged on the mechanoids and wiped them out within seconds, since they were getting hit so much they couldn't even get a single shot off! Turrets dealt with the animals when they turned towards my colony and I was free to destory the crashed ship at my leisure. That was kind of fun.

Barley

Split your colonists into two groups:
1) Rodeo Clowns
2) Grenadiers

The Rodeo Clowns are equipped with shields. They run back and forth in front of the Mechaniods to attact fire. Try to find a balance between aggro range and safety: Too close and the shields will die, too far and the Mechs will engage the grenadiers. Hopefully you'll have multiple shields so if one guy loses his shield he can run to safety while the other pawn(s) distract.

Grenadiers use fragmentation grenades. Frags do high damage to multiple organs/components, but have a short range compared to guns. Since the Rodeo clowns are distracting the mechs, the short range isn't too bad. Three grenadiers will kill a centipede in 3 or 4 volleys if your really unlucky. If your lucky they'll die even faster.

Supplement with ieds: They're grenades you don't have to throw!
Supplement with Turrets: make good distractions, and if you hook the turrets up to a switch, you can wait until the mechs get into close range before they register the threat, then turn all the turrets on at once. Now you have 4 to five shots per turret to further distract/hurt the mechs!

antibodee

I use the evil ships.  I never kill the mechs myself.  I send one guy to snipe the ship till they pop out...then block off routes so invading armies have to pass through them.  Then I worry about comfort for my guys, start every war I can, and let them do the work.  You have to accept that you won't make many friends like this, but I kill the ship once they've don't all the work for me. 

Evil ship Mechs end up with thousands of kills on my maps lol.