Vehicles

Started by IdeaBoy, October 06, 2013, 05:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IdeaBoy

When i watch videos of rimworld i see the raiders just spawn in i would suggest, to make it more realistic that they come in with like, speeder bikes,atvs,spaceships,and cars (some may be armed) that could be used to move you're  colonists around the map for work and put things in the back of it to go to the pile or they could put weapons on them (if you manage to kill the raiders on it and not the whole thing) and use it against the raiders and there would have to be a pilot and a mechanic skill.  8)

AspenShadow

I'm really not sure whether vehicles will be future content or not, from a designer's PoV it's a hell of a lot of work for not much reward given the map size. Speeder bikes may be possible to implement, but they'd still have to be counted as a separate living unit to the rider.

I do agree with you about the Raider issue though, I thought perhaps they could come down in drop pods that stayed on the surface (instead of fading like survivors' do in the beginning) and then could be harvested for metal if raiders are defeated?

[Note: I've previously mentioned drop-pods idea and the concept is that they can drop onto the planet under their own steam fine, but they can't return to space/ship without it being authorised and the greater ship in orbit is doing the work on that front using remote recall aided by magnetic/gravitronic tech.]

IdeaBoy

Sorry if i kind of copied your idea i didn't want to read all of the post's so i just looked at the subjects.

AspenShadow

Quote from: IdeaBoy on October 06, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
Sorry if i kind of copied your idea i didn't one a read all of the post's so i just looked at the subjects.

Haha, no, no you didn't at all. The drop-pod thing only very broadly comes under vehicles as a whole and was introduced in a separate thread. The idea of vehicles has been tossed around a bit on various threads enough that it deserves it's own thread to discuss tbh, I'm not sure if Tynan has addressed it yet in comments/interview. I've read about 70% of what this forum has so I can't say for certain, but I think it's still up in the air.

British

Well, as far as I can tell, the raiders *do* come down with pods, just like the colonists.
It's so fast that if you don't take notice of them right when they come down and are only alerted by the messaging system, you'd indeed think they've come by feet.

Also, there *is* some kind of a vehicule: tiles !
They make you go faster ! :P

Ember

i would love to see an actual ship or shuttle come down to drop off large groups of raiders and such for the more organized groups

AspenShadow

Quote from: British on October 06, 2013, 05:46:36 PM
Well, as far as I can tell, the raiders *do* come down with pods, just like the colonists.
It's so fast that if you don't take notice of them right when they come down and are only alerted by the messaging system, you'd indeed think they've come by feet.

Also, there *is* some kind of a vehicule: tiles !
They make you go faster ! :P

Yep, but just like in the beginning of our colonists' adventure they disappear into the ether :(.
While metal's not scarce it'd be nice to salvage from their foolish attempt to throw themselves against my paranoid defences.

And I think "Tiles" wasn't quite in the spirit of what he was going for haha, though I acknowledge and like the system I've seen in the pre-alpha; that tile-terrain influences movement speed.

IdeaBoy

Yeah, but something besides "dropships" as vehicles would be cool.

Kalesin

Spike

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 06, 2013, 05:24:06 PM
I do agree with you about the Raider issue though, I thought perhaps they could come down in drop pods that stayed on the surface (instead of fading like survivors' do in the beginning) and then could be harvested for metal if raiders are defeated?

[Note: I've previously mentioned drop-pods idea and the concept is that they can drop onto the planet under their own steam fine, but they can't return to space/ship without it being authorised and the greater ship in orbit is doing the work on that front using remote recall aided by magnetic/gravitronic tech.]

Personally, I don't think vehicles are needed - unless the map size would be drastically increased.  And I do think the raiders drop in the standard "cargo pod", which should leave some scraps for you to harvest (maybe even the rare gadget to research & reverse-engineer).  However, your "colony" has only 3 people at the start - the raiders that are being sent down would be the lowest of the low, the most expendable pirates on the ship.  Or the poorest ones, with the shoddiest equipment.

Now perhaps once you have a thriving colony with a large population, they'd actually send down a dropship with an elite squad - but I haven't seen any gameplay footage of that type of colony yet.  Still, regular "drive around the map" vehicles don't seem to be necessary with the small map size.

IdeaBoy

You could put a drill on a vehicle and use it for faster mining,and build  a bed and put it on the back of it and your colonist's could put the stuff in there and a driver could drive it back and forth so they won't have to go back in forth wasting time.

GC13

There would be a lot of use for smallish vehicles: say 2x3 squares.

• Aid in hauling
  • Work large fields
  • Heavy drilling
  • Mobile auto-turret
  • Mobile manufactory
Even smaller vehicles (likely 1x2 squares) would be personal transports so your colonists didn't take so long moving around.

IdeaBoy

Yeah,like a speeder bike that has a stretcher attached to  the back of it to rescue raiders , and colonist's faster.

DeltaV

It would be cool to have a bunch of smaller colonies on a map connected by roads with vehicles traveling between them. I definitely like the idea.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Kender

Feels like playing DUNE again. Maybe there should be natives like Freemen, Sandworm etc.
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.