A nice evening with RW on a big screen.

Started by Dive, June 17, 2015, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dive

There is a cool way to play RW we have discovered recently. It requires a computer, a big screen tv, a table, a couch, an HDMI cable and a small group of friends of yours.
Order a pizza, make some tea, buy a cake. We are ready to go :)
Start a new colony, name your colonists after yourself and after whoever is with you. Now everyone is interested what will happen to "him". Play your normal game, comentate for anyone who is not familiar with the game, name every new colonist after someone you all know about.
When you feel like so, take a break and let someone else rule the colony while you are sitting on the comfy couch eating pizza.
You know what's special about RW in this scenario? It does not get boring for anyone! Everyone's having as much fun as you do, regardless of age, gender etc. It's also really addictive and time flies by insanely fast.
I just want to thank Tynan for making this possible  :)

[attachment deleted due to age]

chaouki

so I'm not the only one who's playing Rimworld on their TV screen :) but I never thought of making it a group event, sounds awesome

GamerGuy

I will give this a try but I do think my friends prefer gta5 (;

Tynan

This sounds like tons of fun :)

But Alpha 11 is out! You should update!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Cdr.Keen

be water my friend!

Adamiks

I would say "From Russia with love"

But problem is - i'm not from Russia, but close, because i'm from Poland, so cheers!

skullywag

Ive played a Rimworld drinking game with some buddies one night, similar to the above but you drink different drinks when certain events happen. My favourite was a black zambucca shot when someone broke....I like that drink so much I started making it happen on purpose.....hmm I should write a drinking game rules thread, would make for fun twitch streaming lol! :D
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Dive

That picture was taken the first time we had such event, we had a new event with A11 since then :)
Lol a RW drinking game seems like a feasible way of developement of this group event concept :D We should give it a try.

tylers2001

Is it just me or is the text in Russian?
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Dive

Quote from: tylers2001 on June 18, 2015, 07:13:15 PM
Hence it all took place in Russia and we're all Russians we were using russian fan-made translation. There is a lot of fan-made translations for RW :)

muffins

Quote from: Dive on June 18, 2015, 07:49:06 PM
Quote from: tylers2001 on June 18, 2015, 07:13:15 PM
Hence it all took place in Russia and we're all Russians we were using russian fan-made translation. There is a lot of fan-made translations for RW :)
In the Russian version do you get T-34 tanks to fight the Centipedes with?

(My god, that would be cool on so many levels.)

Topper

I love my HDMI tv connection. I find it a little hard to use a mouse on a big screen but if you got the right seating arrangements using a real TV is totally the way to play. I'm sure the computer monitor manufacturers hate this.

Dive

Quote from: muffins on June 18, 2015, 10:29:56 PM

In the Russian version do you get T-34 tanks to fight the Centipedes with?

(My god, that would be cool on so many levels.)
That would help a lot but no, the game is completely standart.

Quote from: Topper on June 18, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
I love my HDMI tv connection. I find it a little hard to use a mouse on a big screen but if you got the right seating arrangements using a real TV is totally the way to play. I'm sure the computer monitor manufacturers hate this.

IMO latency is what is more problematic. I'm not sure if it's the TV's fault, but a picture on the TV screen is like 0.5-0.8 sec. delayed compared to a computer screen, and it makes it difficult to play. So a player that controls the colony was looking at the computer screen, while everoyne else were "watching tv".

Dr. Z

Idea for RimWorld drinking game: Take three people, create three chemical interested colnists, name the colonists after you, immediately go into brewery, drink everytime your colonist drinks (maybe not a whole beer everytime or it might end quikly ;))
Prasie the Squirrel!

Cdr.Keen

Quote from: Dive on June 19, 2015, 06:44:58 PM
[...]

IMO latency is what is more problematic. I'm not sure if it's the TV's fault, but a picture on the TV screen is like 0.5-0.8 sec. delayed compared to a computer screen, and it makes it difficult to play. So a player that controls the colony was looking at the computer screen, while everoyne else were "watching tv".

most modern tvs are buffering the picture for better movie quality. they save the frames for 0.5s to 1.0s to insert missing frames. this will smoothen up the movies and the kabel/analogue signal.

so take a look at the setup of your tv. most tvs got presets like sports, nature, colorfull or --> gaming. when gaming enabled, the tv won't buffer the signal and fasten the display refresh rate. otherwise, try to disable the "hd-features" like smoothen, sharpen and stuff like this.
be water my friend!