[Mod Suggestion] Under Ground

Started by rsof69, June 18, 2015, 12:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsof69

We need to put another dimension on rimworld

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Illusion Distort

Elaborating on StorymasterQ, no.

Because it's a core engine issue, not something that can be done via a mod.

A2B has a multi-layer system but it isn't really.  It just fakes it by the "undercover" component simply not using any "space" ("fillPercent" is set to "0") and not being an edifice ("isEdifice" set to "false").  But it still exists on the same place everything as everything else.  A whole new plane or dimension is just not possible as a generalized mod.

So StorymasterQ just boiled it down to the simple "no" because the answer is..."no."
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

rsof69

I'm not sure you fully appreciate the scale and scope of what you are asking.  While it would be technically possible to add it, I doubt it's high on Tynans' priority list and seeing as this is his game I'm sure he already has more important things to do which actually add more than adding another dimension to the game.  Not to mention, even adding one more layer (increasing the z-depth from 0 to 1) would dramatically increase hardware requirements as it would basically double the memory requirement - most of the memory used is the game map, the game assets take up a small portion of the memory used.  Processing power requirements would also increase by an order of magnitude and not simply double as in the case of memory usage.  Most of the game code would have to be re-written to be "aware" of N z-levels most notably the AI which would be a huge chore and where most of the processing power would be required.  Even A* pathfinding (one of the simplest pathfinding algorithms) becomes a challenge when transversing multiple "levels."  The challenge is not in writing the code but writing efficient code.  I play RimWorld on a 1.8GHz dual-core laptop with 2GB of RAM and an integrated video chipset.  The game already uses all available memory even on the default map size.

This has come up before and others have gone through this with yet others.

Best bet when making requests is to use the forum search feature to see if it's been asked for before.  Multiplayer comes up a fair bit too and each time the short answer is "no" and the long answer is "nooooooooooooo."
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.