[Suggestion] Adjust Priority for Clothing Outfits

Started by MailletC, June 18, 2015, 12:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MailletC

Hello,
My name is Chris Maillet. I'm enjoying Rimworld a lot.
I came up with an idea for a suggestion last night, forgive me I haven't checked to forums to see if it's been suggested already.

When I am creating an outfit for my colonists to wear, I would like to be able to set the priorities for the different types of clothing. I saw a few colonists refusing to wear Combat Helmets, Kevlar Helmets, and Armor Vests even though they were available.
They seem to prefer wearing clothes over equipping armor. I know I am able to force them to wear things, but I prefer not to constantly micromanage. If I could set priorities in the outfit menu, I could have my colonists always equip helmets and body armor if it is available. I could also have them prefer armor protection over temperature control, that way if a group of mechanoids arrive in drop pods in the middle of February, I won't have to scramble at the last minute to get everyone ready. Granted we fought them off with only one KIA, but still after the fight when I did the Post Battle Analysis, I discovered the KIA wasn't wearing a helmet even though one was sitting in an equipment rack. That helmet might have just saved Seamstress' life when she got shot in the head, body armor certainly saved The Gabe when he got shot through a lung. Gabe did deserve it though, he only has a shooting skill of one, so all he does is spray LMG fire all over the place. Seamstress didn't deserve it, she was as deadly with a gun as with a sewing needle. I'm going to miss her a lot.

I'm rambling now.

Regards,

Chris Maillet

MailletC

Also, while I'm thinking about clothing, why can't I craft steel helmets and armor vests?
Using leather and steel for the vests, and plain steel or other materials for helmets. I can craft all kinds of furniture and weapons from steel, even build automated gun turrets, but I can't make a helmet or a vest with steel plates in it?
I hope that will be added at some point, I'd much rather spend my steel on body armor late in the game than rebuilding the 14 turrets that got destroyed in the last pirate raid.