Wheels

Started by Quasarrgames, June 20, 2015, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

Jimmy strained when he hauled the pile of stones. The sweat on his forehead quickly evaporated into the arid shrubland air. He lost his balance, and the stones came tumbling out of his arms. Four round stones formed a rectangle shape as they rolled across the ground in unison.

That was it! Jimmy had a great idea! He couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it before! Oh, thank the void gods! He gathered up as many stones as he could and quickly stauntered back to camp.

Reed opened Jimmy's bedroom door. "Jimmy," he asked, "you missed dinner today. And i haven't seen you in the rec room for days. Is something wrong?"
Jimmy was hunched over tinkering at something. beside him was something large and concealed beneath a blanket. "Everything's fine, Reed. Everything's way more than fine." jimmy said proudly.
"Uh, what's that under the blanket?" Reed asked.
"I think you'll like it. Presenting..." Said Jimmy. he tore off the blanket. In truth, what was under it wasn't really worth putting a blanket over. It was a rickety person-drawn cart made of wood and metal.
"...the best way to haul things!" Jimmy beamed. Other colonists were stopping to look at it.
"So this is what you spent our colony's valuable wood and metal on?" Tynan said skeptically.
"Trust me, it's worth it. I'll prove it to you during hauling duty tomorrow." Jimmy said.

to be continued...
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Quasarrgames

Within a week almost everything on the map had been hauled. Jimmy, with the help of other colonists, had constructed more carts. He had even constructed these four-wheeled platforms for joy and fast transportation, which he had called "Skateboards".

Jimmy was presenting his crazy new idea to the group during a meeting.
"...and with these long-range electric carts, we could gather more minerals, travel to other factions, maybe even find a way off this planet." Jimmy concluded
Murmurs arose from the group
"Do we even have the materials to do this?" asked a skeptic colonist.
"it would take a lot of metal and stored food, but with what we have, we could make it hundreds of miles." Jimmy answered.
More murmurs
"What about the human cost?" said Tynan, walking confidently to the front. "What about the dangers of sending colonists blindly out into the wilderness?"
"Well, we could send a robot"
"And risk a perfectly good AI core? No, this would take way too many resources to make, with little benefit to our experience in this colony."
"What do you mean?" Said jimmy. "We've spent years on this rock. Do you really expect us to make antimatter drives with our bare hands? This is the only feasible way to expand out and get out of here!"
"And what makes you so sure that we'd even find help here?" said Tynan defiantly and awesomely. "Think of all the things we could do instead of this!"
"We could expand our relationships!" said one colonist gleefully
"We could search for a water supply!" said another
"We could make babies!" Said another. Everybody looked at him quizically. He shrank back in his seat.
"That's actually not a bad idea..." a guy beside him said.
"Guys? Seriously!?" said Jimmy, annoyed and amazed.
"Then it's settled. We're not going out there!" Tynan said, to cheers.
Jimmy stormed out, frustrated and devastated that his idea had failed.

The next day, Tail came back from her haul with a strange amulet.
"What is it?" asked Reed.
"I don't know." Explained tail. "I found it out by a pirate ruin. it looks wierd doesn't it?"
"It sure does" agreed Reed.
Suddenly, a purple beam of light shot out from the amulet, and thrust itself upwards into the sky, where it formed into a strange symbol.
"I hope that wasn't bad..." Said Tail.

To be continued...

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Axelios

I love how you're drawing on activity in the forum for inspiration. Keep it up!~
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Quasarrgames

It started as a small dust cloud in the distance. Then it grew. The colonists heard sounds of burning rubber and screeching metal, which eventually grew to an earsplitting roar. Then they saw the vehicles. Some midworld colonists bluntly recognized them as "Cars" or "Trucks", but they were twisted, warped, with way too many spikes and gibblet cages hanging off of them. (Does anybody here remember gibblet cages? Ah, good times...) Then the colonists saw the raiders. Mentally they too looked twisted and warped, hooting and hollering and swinging weapons. The cars skided to a hault in front of the base.

"This is bad..." Tail said, shocked and scared.
A vibrantly-clad raider climbed to the roof of a car. He held a microphone. His deep voice boomed through the car's loud tinny speakers.
"CITIZENS OF THIS COLONY! YOU HAVE STOLEN THE SACRED AMULET, A DIVINE OFFERING TO THE WHEEL GODS! FOR YOUR TREACHERY, YOU SHALL PAY THE DIREST PRICE! SURRENDER THE AMULET, AND ONLY HALF OF YOU SHALL DIE! REFUSE, AND ALL YOUR ASHES SHALL BLOW IN HE WIND!" To this, there were hollers and cheers from the other bandits.
"This is VERY bad..." Tail said, biting her fist.
"Wheel gods?" Said reed quizically.
"RAMMERS! START THE CARNAGE!" Said the lead raider. Two cars with battering rams started ramming the walls of the colony. One broke through the thin wall of the killbox, charged through half the waiting turrets, and exploded.
"We still have half our killbox..." Said a worried colonist.
"I didn't create this" Tynan said, "this shouldn't be here at all! This can't be a mod, can it? No, it can't! this is all just a big bug! It's all defective code! YOU HEAR ME?!" He yelled at the raiders "YOU'RE ALL DEFECTIVE CODE!"

Tynan was having a little bit of a mental break. (he still seemed to have the pride and charisma of a charging stallion, though)

Tail grabbed Reed by the shirt. "We have to find Jimmy." She said. The two hurried off to find him.

To be continued...

Kelian

Sounds like Jimmy should of dedicated some metal to spike strips.