Uranium, what to do with it?

Started by Rafe009, June 20, 2015, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe009

Any suggestions? Should i build blunt weapons to knock out raiders or is plastisteel all around better for everything? Should i just sell the stuff?

Innese

Basically unless you plan to try and build a ship to escape, its only good for selling or crafting into things you plan to sell later or use as weapons

SSS

According to the info tab, it's good for blunt weapons. Maybe make a club out of it if you have an abundance? You can build (non-ship) cryptosleep caskets out of it too, in case of an emergency (e.g. when you have multiple colonists with critical wounds that you can't attend to simultaneously).

Building and crafting. I wouldn't advise selling it without crafting it into something.

RickyMartini

Either cryptosleep casket or craft it into a weapon. I never really saw the possibility to build a sculpture out of it.

Marcm

It is very preciouse as nuclear fuel for shure but its completly unreal to just handle it like steel, as implemented in Rimworld (and most other Games, to be fair), for multiple, simple scientific reasons. To start its very unlikely to be found as a vein of pure metal - that would form a natural reactor and deteriorate fast as such. Also its very toxic because even a few milligram will simply ray you to death from inside in a few days and ofcourse if you find or even start smithing it these milligrams will end up inside you.
If at all it should be in the game as something you have to refine from for example pitchblende but even then only with extreem caution and hightec chemistry and machines.

skullywag

Remember it also doesnt burn so any stuff you make from it is not flammable.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RickyMartini

Quote from: skullywag on June 22, 2015, 12:30:01 PM

Isn't anything made of stone also inflammable? I have never had the luxury to actually make any furniture out of uranium.  :D

SSS

Quote from: Skissor on June 22, 2015, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: skullywag on June 22, 2015, 12:30:01 PM

Isn't anything made of stone also inflammable? I have never had the luxury to actually make any furniture out of uranium.  :D

I'm not sure I would want to use furniture made out of uranium. Poor colonists.

Devon_v

Radioactivity,  like convection, does not exist in video games unless it does.

Now where's my volcano biome?

Marcm

Quote from: Devon_v on June 22, 2015, 08:05:49 PM
Radioactivity,  like convection, does not exist in video games unless it does.

Now where's my volcano biome?
"If no Radioactivity then no Volcanos, visa versa."
Old Vulcan axiom according science and first officer Spock.

Tynan

Now the toxic buildup exists, it would be fairly amusing to have uranium items and furniture slowly poison people.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

warden

Quote from: Tynan on June 22, 2015, 11:15:59 PM
Now the toxic buildup exists, it would be fairly amusing to have uranium items and furniture slowly poison people.

That'd be nice, but if you implement this, it could use some sort of a green "aura" around the radiating items or some other indicator telling me i have a radioactive item at hand. If a raider drops a Uranium weapon and it gets carried to my storage without me noticing, i'll be getting poisoned colonists all over the place. That would be the point of course, but we do get alerts for raiders and pretty much everything else anyway...

Marcm

But then again uranium should not exist in Rimworld. Our earth crust contains 2.4 ppm uranium. That is 0.00024 percent.

If you would move this correlation into Rimworld simulation, giving that one minable block of ore usualy results in 35 units of ore, you would have to mine 14.58 million worldblocks to gain 1 unit of uranium.

TLHeart

Quote from: Marcm on June 23, 2015, 03:09:38 AM
But then again uranium should not exist in Rimworld. Our earth crust contains 2.4 ppm uranium. That is 0.00024 percent.

If you would move this correlation into Rimworld simulation, giving that one minable block of ore usualy results in 35 units of ore, you would have to mine 14.58 million worldblocks to gain 1 unit of uranium.

Thinking about this wrong, as uranium is concentrated into certain areas, and not others.  Where uranium exist, mining it, produces ore. No mine just blindly mines every block to extract the oar, they only mine the blocks needed. 

And today uranium is not actually mined, but in situ extracted, using the natural underground water.

Devon_v

Quote from: TLHeartNo mine just blindly mines every block to extract the oar, they only mine the blocks needed. 

Now there's a funny mental image.

Also note that nothing in Rimworld is actually ore. It's remnants of past civilization, or chunks of crashed starships. That's how we can dig steel out of the ground, and it's likely how the uranium got there as well.