Uranium, what to do with it?

Started by Rafe009, June 20, 2015, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

If it does become toxic we need a 'radioactive' filter on storage zones like the 'rotten' options.

sparda666

Quote from: Devon_v on June 23, 2015, 09:19:14 AM
Quote from: TLHeartNo mine just blindly mines every block to extract the oar, they only mine the blocks needed. 

Now there's a funny mental image.

Im honestly imagining people with blindfolds digging through the mountain uncovering wooden paddles

Jimyoda

Quote from: sparda666 on June 23, 2015, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: TLHeartNo mine just blindly mines every block to extract the oar, they only mine the blocks needed. 

Now there's a funny mental image.

Im honestly imagining people with blindfolds digging through the mountain uncovering wooden paddles

Wish I had the artistic talent to draw that.

(Replace 'blindfolds' with a) cataracts or b) eyes shot due to hunting accidents or c) eyes missing because your incompetent doctor who was installing a bionic leg, slipped and accidentally stabbed him - in both eyes.)
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

TLHeart

or your grenadier threw a grenade close, and destroyed both her own eyes.  Yet she still works, and moves around the colony just fine.

Klitri

Quote from: Marcm on June 22, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
It is very preciouse as nuclear fuel for shure but its completly unreal to just handle it like steel, as implemented in Rimworld (and most other Games, to be fair), for multiple, simple scientific reasons. To start its very unlikely to be found as a vein of pure metal - that would form a natural reactor and deteriorate fast as such. Also its very toxic because even a few milligram will simply ray you to death from inside in a few days and ofcourse if you find or even start smithing it these milligrams will end up inside you.
If at all it should be in the game as something you have to refine from for example pitchblende but even then only with extreem caution and hightec chemistry and machines.

Quote from: Marcm on June 23, 2015, 03:09:38 AM
But then again uranium should not exist in Rimworld. Our earth crust contains 2.4 ppm uranium. That is 0.00024 percent.

If you would move this correlation into Rimworld simulation, giving that one minable block of ore usualy results in 35 units of ore, you would have to mine 14.58 million worldblocks to gain 1 unit of uranium.

Friendly reminder that this isn't real life, as if it was realistic I doubt colonists would be capable of constructing batteries, wind turbines, solar panels and turrets out of just steel.

b0rsuk

Uranium doesn't burn at all, which makes for better turrets than plasteel.

RickyMartini

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 24, 2015, 08:09:33 AM

True, uranium is the best material for turrets. Too bad it is so rare, you can find plasteel for your turrets 100x easier than uranium. Easily.

rmurdocci

Quote from: Skissor on June 24, 2015, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on June 24, 2015, 08:09:33 AM

True, uranium is the best material for turrets. Too bad it is so rare, you can find plasteel for your turrets 100x easier than uranium. Easily.

Question: Does this mean an uranium turret is indestructible? I mean, fire is usually not my main concern while protecting my turrets... How does "doesn't burn at all" help?

Thanks for your comments!

EDIT: spelling

RickyMartini

No, because turrets still take melee and bullet damage. It just means the every flame vanished as soon as it hits the turrets. Good for defense against centipedes.

rmurdocci

Quote from: Skissor on June 24, 2015, 05:16:32 PM
No, because turrets still take melee and bullet damage. It just means the every flame vanished as soon as it hits the turrets. Good for defense against centipedes.

Gotcha, thanks for the answer!

lusername

Why the heck is uranium non-flammable in Rimworld, anyway? REAL uranium is extremely flammable to the point where it may spontaneously ignite on its own! There's a reason we fire this stuff at enemy tanks: It punches through them like butter and THEN IT CATCHES FIRE.

RickyMartini

Well uranium behaves more or less like steel.

It's interesting tough since it's still flammable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrophoricity

RedPhanthom

Would be nice if we could use Uranium as a Power Source, Make a Reactor and use 1 Uranium that produces set amount of energy for set amount of time.

warden

Quote from: RedPhanthom on June 25, 2015, 02:27:10 PM
Would be nice if we could use Uranium as a Power Source, Make a Reactor and use 1 Uranium that produces set amount of energy for set amount of time.

I've been pining for this every time i play the game. A single piece would have to give energy for a considerable amount of time, though, since it's so rare.

Wolfen Waffle

Also note that nothing in Rimworld is actually ore. It's remnants of past civilization, or chunks of crashed starships. That's how we can dig steel out of the ground, and it's likely how the uranium got there as well.

That's all actually very new to me...