Pathing within assigned area

Started by Snownova, June 22, 2015, 05:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

I'm not 100% if this should be a suggestion of a bug report, but here goes:

So I was building a nice ice shelf colony, had me a nice little heated compound when a pack of wargs appeared. I quickly made an restriction area of the indoors area and assigned it to all the colonists, keeping them safe and inside.

One problem, my compound had multiple exterior doors and the interior layout was, shall we say, less than optimal. My compound was roughly rectangular, with a main hallway connecting all the rooms, shaped like a U rotated 90 degrees.

So after a few days I suddenly got a message that a colonist, who we shall call Billy, was injured.
Billy, being an idiot, wanted to go from the south-east end of the compound to the north-east end. To do this he should have taken the main hallway all around via the west side, staying nice and warm indoors all the way. Instead he took the south-east door outside, tried walking through a pack of wargs to get to the north-east door and promptly bled to death in the snow.

So my suggestion would be this: Tynan please let pawns check if a path is available that runs completely via their restricted zone, before letting them path outside it.

TLHeart

it is in the bugs section, but as tynan has stated, the new area restrictions are not a path restriction, but a destination restriction.  Sounds like the area restrictions will never work how many want them to.

Snownova

Quote from: TLHeart on June 22, 2015, 11:26:40 AM
it is in the bugs section, but as tynan has stated, the new area restrictions are not a path restriction, but a destination restriction.  Sounds like the area restrictions will never work how many want them to.

I know, that's why my suggestion was to have the program check first if a path is available that does not exit the restricted area, before allowing paths that go outside the area, even if the former are longer.

Axelios

I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

TLHeart

as I said, and so did Tynan,

they can still path outside the restricted areas...

quoted from the bug report;
Fixed now. They can still path outside allowed areas, but they'll try hard not to.

And the way I use areas, I need them to be able to path OUTSIDE the areas, to move between them.