Is there a Dev mod or Cheat mode?

Started by Mr. Picard, June 22, 2015, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Picard

I kinda just want to screw around. I know it was a previous thing, I looked everywhere in the options and it's not there. Is it still around or no?

TLHeart

it is there in options, says development mode, with a red "x" beside it. click the red "x", and development mode is on.

Mr. Picard

Oh wow. I am blind. Anyhow, thanks! I probably wouldn't have found out until much later. Cheers!

ItchyFlea

Be a little careful when using it. While in most situations using it is fine, it's possible to cause bugs to occur that wouldn't occur during normal gameplay.

On the other hand, it also lets you create interesting situations that wouldn't occur during normal gameplay. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Listy

I hope that Dev mode stays into the release, or at least a streamlined version. Cause sometimes in the early morning when I'm at work tired and just filling time on the night shift I don't want to deal with tension and tough challenges.

That moment when 20 odd centipedes arriver to kill you, two hours before you're due to finish your 12 hour night shift...
Nope **channels the SGA episode Sanctuary**

With a bit more finesse in some of the tools it would also allow you to create interesting maps, and story adventure modes. Equally it allows you to test stuff out and check mechanics.

leax256

after testing around in 11 I've noticed that dev mode has gotten a little beefier since the last update.

Coenmcj

Even if it's taken out of options by Tynan eventually, it's generally a bad idea to remove it entirely, It'll likely be hidden somewhere in a config file or need to be re-enabled by a Key press combo.

But considering we're still in Alpha, I don't think that time's anywhere soon.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

JimmyAgnt007

it took me forever to find the option too so dont worry.

is there any way to change the size of the tool for clearing an area?

NemesisN

I have a question

Is it a good idea to back up your save files before you use development mode ?

I mean if it causes buggs or problems with the world I am playing does it cause problems to entire game and other saved worlds ? Or just the world you are playing in ?

I want to have fun with this development mode and create a new world but I don't want to brake the game or lose my other worlds by doing it
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

MoparGamer

Quote from: NemesisN on June 25, 2015, 11:26:36 AM
I have a question

Is it a good idea to back up your save files before you use development mode ?

I mean if it causes buggs or problems with the world I am playing does it cause problems to entire game and other saved worlds ? Or just the world you are playing in ?

I want to have fun with this development mode and create a new world but I don't want to brake the game or lose my other worlds by doing it

I'd recommend saving before using it for 2 reasons:
1) as you said, It may cause bugs and crash your game.
2) you may find yourself wanting to go back to before you used dev mode.

TLHeart

I use developers mode all the time, and have never had it corrupt any saves, or crash the game. But I am not trying to make huge changes all at once either.

I create a save file to have a good starting point every time, as you use the developers mode to make and a change and test the outcome, against other strategies. 

milon

Quote from: MoparGamer on June 25, 2015, 11:33:35 AM
1) as you said, It may cause bugs and crash your game.

Dev mode shouldn't cause any bugs in your game (it basically just calls events).  It could certainly reveal bugs in the game, especially if you're using mods.