Real shealds

Started by Quasarrgames, June 22, 2015, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

Adding shields (made of wood and metal and plasteel) would be a cool addition to the game, and could compliment futuristic personal shields quite nicely. After all, meleers in the old days had shields of wood and metal, and personal shields are quite expensive for every single low-life sword raider to have one.

Changed topic name -Evul mod
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Axelios

Don't forget the tribes! They need shields too :)
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

TrashMan

Kegereneku

"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

killer117

u could make it spiked too, to increase melee damage
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

MrWiggles

The only thing a shield would do verse a firearm, is break your wrist and forearm, if the shield didn't fail. Because the shield would probably fail, and you would get shot through and die.

The tribals should bring them to bear, with an assumption of lack of understanding of how pointless they are.

Axelios

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:23:01 PM
The only thing a shield would do verse a firearm, is break your wrist and forearm, if the shield didn't fail. Because the shield would probably fail, and you would get shot through and die.

The tribals should bring them to bear, with an assumption of lack of understanding of how pointless they are.

Hmm your point about firearms pretty much kills the appeal of real shields for me.

But, shields would still be quite useful in melee combat, and you can make shields work against firearms. I think a kevlar shield would not be so bad.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Quasarrgames

Quote from: Axelios on June 24, 2015, 09:27:06 PM
Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:23:01 PM

Hmm your point about firearms pretty much kills the appeal of real shields for me.

But, shields would still be quite useful in melee combat, and you can make shields work against firearms. I think a kevlar shield would not be so bad.

We mustn't forget plasteel shields as well. They could be able to stop firearms.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

MrWiggles

Weather or not, a kelvar shield, with strike plates or plas steel (which in my head cannon is a very dense metal) could catch a bullet, isn't really the issue...

It could.

Its just that well, where does all that kinetic energy go?

I mean if were to be less cruel about it, it could probably catch one bullet, and then be useless and reduce the hitpoints to the arm that was carrying it.

Also spike shields, is just a DnD fantasy thing. While there are some example of spiked shields, generally the spikes just cause head aches.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
Also spike shields, is just a DnD fantasy thing. While there are some example of spiked shields, generally the spikes just cause head aches.

Especially when applied directly to heads. BA DUM TSH!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

MrWiggles

Xanting

I do like the idea of a built shield maybe any damage it does block is transferred to its hitpoints so damaged shields become less effective at blocking until it breaks entirely.

Toggle

Remember though, if there was a shield as the guy above said even for melee, rimworld is cruel. It would likely make it easier to break someones arm because they would rely on the shield, and someone beating it into you could injure you. Oh look, my colonist is defending against his atta-*SNAP* HIS ARM BROKE!

Although a plasteel shield would be interesting. But I think it would really require a new slot, and all weapons, even knives, seem to be held in two hands. I think it would just make some more sense to have armour, such as plasteel chainmail, which would make movement a bit slower but protect more against swords. Bullets of course, would shoot through it like the kool-aid man through hot butter. And he breaks through brick walls.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Axelios

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
..where does all that kinetic energy go?

I don't think bullets would be that bad. They're tiny. The shield would allow you take the hit over a wider area, possibly bruising your arm and should, rather than making a small hole all the way through you.

We have them in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_shield

- 22 July 2015

Xanting

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 24, 2015, 11:32:21 PM
Although a plasteel shield would be interesting. But I think it would really require a new slot, and all weapons, even knives, seem to be held in two hands. I think it would just make some more sense to have armour, such as plasteel chainmail, which would make movement a bit slower but protect more against swords. Bullets of course, would shoot through it like the kool-aid man through hot butter. And he breaks through brick walls.

I was thinking shields would be more primitive versions of the energy shields in the game except they are damaged by shots and don't recharge like the energy shields.