Real shealds

Started by Quasarrgames, June 22, 2015, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSS

Quote from: Axelios on June 25, 2015, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
..where does all that kinetic energy go?

I don't think bullets would be that bad. They're tiny. The shield would allow you take the hit over a wider area, possibly bruising your arm and should, rather than making a small hole all the way through you.

We have them in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_shield

I was going to point this out as well. It's very possible to stop a bullet with a ballistic shield.

skullywag

I have working shield in my wip mod. (Rimworld forever) Im going to be copying it out of that mod and releasing it standalone. The basic premise is they are made of stuff and and have different hitpoints and stop damage based on chance which is based off of melee skill. I plan to extend and improve it further.

See example here:

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13195.0
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

my opinion about this is that since personal shields (the energy one) are mostly used against projectile weapons (i think they're useless against melee), real shields would provide protection for melee battles.

this would allow brawlers to equip shields and go out to hunt animals with better chances of avoiding injury.

hector212121

Quote from: keylocke on June 25, 2015, 06:36:19 AM
my opinion about this is that since personal shields (the energy one) are mostly used against projectile weapons (i think they're useless against melee), real shields would provide protection for melee battles.

this would allow brawlers to equip shields and go out to hunt animals with better chances of avoiding injury.

Yes, exactly.

Let's say that shields have a % chance to intercept(whether or not it defends against anything) melee or ranged weapons, then a % deflect(no damage) physical projectiles/strikes and otherwise absorb a % or flat amount of damage. Energy projectiles would be flat-out absorbed by the shield if intercepted but the shield would take the full damage and possibly, if wood, catch alight.

killer117

What if, instead of holding the shield and hoping the bullets impact dosent snap ur arm. Why not use it like deployable cover. U give the guy and M-16 strapped to his back, hand him a shield, and run him infront of ur base. He reaches a location, u give him an order, and he plants his shield down, and voila, an early, primitive version of a manned turret. A dude behind armoured half cover with a semi-auto machine gun. And u could change the stregth of the shield by its matirials. And could use techs to upgrade them. Reinforcements for durability, a shooting slot for accuracy, a armband for manuvability. Turn it from a steel panel on ur arm to an advanced reactive portable cover. Could even, as its last upgrade, give the user a more powerful portable shield, only when deployed though. But it could cover almost all over. But the shooting hole could be uncovered, allowing the collinist to fire out the front, but not the sides or rear. This sorta thing could help reace turrets as it gives a much larger degree of tactical options
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Toggle

Quote from: killer117 on June 25, 2015, 07:58:34 AM
What if, instead of holding the shield and hoping the bullets impact dosent snap ur arm. Why not use it like deployable cover. U give the guy and M-16 strapped to his back, hand him a shield, and run him infront of ur base. He reaches a location, u give him an order, and he plants his shield down, and voila, an early, primitive version of a manned turret. A dude behind armoured half cover with a semi-auto machine gun. And u could change the stregth of the shield by its matirials. And could use techs to upgrade them. Reinforcements for durability, a shooting slot for accuracy, a armband for manuvability. Turn it from a steel panel on ur arm to an advanced reactive portable cover. Could even, as its last upgrade, give the user a more powerful portable shield, only when deployed though. But it could cover almost all over. But the shooting hole could be uncovered, allowing the collinist to fire out the front, but not the sides or rear. This sorta thing could help reace turrets as it gives a much larger degree of tactical options

Uh... I'm sorry but this is sounding like an FPS. I don't see how you could get any of this in rimworld, as we don't even have walls in-game that allows you to shoot through, likely just for balance reasons. This shield would basically be a block, but put down quickly. I guess just that would be okay, but I just doubt it will be added.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Regret

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 25, 2015, 01:06:48 PM

Uh... I'm sorry but this is sounding like an FPS. I don't see how you could get any of this in rimworld, as we don't even have walls in-game that allows you to shoot through, likely just for balance reasons. This shield would basically be a block, but put down quickly. I guess just that would be okay, but I just doubt it will be added.

Deployable cover would change the tactical options greatly. There would have to be downside though, the current way objects are built is by the pawn carrying the construction materials to the location and building it.
That mechanic can be used with a new material (Portable Cover). This item would be carried by a pawn in the same way construction material is usually carried. It just needs to be a construction that can be built when the pawn is in combat mode.

Effectively the only changes that need to be made are:
- New construction material named Portable Cover.
- New block named Portable Cover.
- Changed behaviour for pawns in combat: They can pick up portable cover and build it. carrying portable cover could have some penalties like walking a bit slower or shooting a lot slower.

Edit: Posted in Cheap Ideas.

hector212121

Portable cover is easy. Mini-fiable wall-like thing or sandbag-like thing, and actual implementation of the inventory(!)

It pisses me off that the enemies can carry shit around but we can't.

Adamiks

Toggle

Quote from: Regret on June 26, 2015, 08:54:18 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 25, 2015, 01:06:48 PM
(Someones text) ...

(My Text) ...
Effectively the only changes that need to be made are:
- New construction material named Portable Cover.
- New block named Portable Cover.
- Changed behaviour for pawns in combat: They can pick up portable cover and build it. carrying portable cover could have some penalties like walking a bit slower or shooting a lot slower.

Eh, yeah I was saying that's basically the way it would be added. I'd imagine it would be in security though, "Portal Shields", made out of different materials, stronger then usual walls, require more materials. I guess I was too rude to the idea, but it just didn't feel very rimworld like in that way before. So you'd make these in the crafting bench, theory 1 couldn't have scaling of awful, normal, but theory 2 can.

So theory 1: It works by crafting them, and they become just "Quick shields" of wood/steel/plasteel  I'd assume. Maybe only steel and plasteel. You then go into the security tab, and build a "Quick shield" of any of said materials. You put the building point, force someone to build it, and when they place it it just builds instantly. Then you can pick it back up.

Theory 2 is much better I think. Instead of all this, it becomes like installable objects, such as tv's and couches! You craft one, this time it can actually have scaling because you're able to decide which ones are placed, and you click the item, you assign it to be installed somewhere for no work at all. I think this is much better because it allows scaling, which the crafting bench has for all weapons, and would use the system already set well. You could also uninstall it after. It would probably be made of steel or plasteel.

SSS

Quote from: keylocke on June 25, 2015, 06:36:19 AM

+1

Toggle

Only thing with personal shields is I've yet to see any two items be held in hands at once.

skullywag

My shields in the link i provided allows the use of weapons and the shield at the same time, it just uses the same technique the personal shield does to draw the shield as a shield and not a rotating bubble, even changes direction when you move. Ill get an uploaded version of it up soon so people can feedback on it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Axelios

That sounds like good work :-) well done
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

leax256

Quote from: SSS on June 25, 2015, 02:56:39 AM
Quote from: Axelios on June 25, 2015, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
..where does all that kinetic energy go?

I don't think bullets would be that bad. They're tiny. The shield would allow you take the hit over a wider area, possibly bruising your arm and should, rather than making a small hole all the way through you.

We have them in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_shield

I was going to point this out as well. It's very possible to stop a bullet with a ballistic shield.

yea, bullets have a very low total energy. they only pierce through stuff cause that energy in in a small point.