11.834 Shield user has ranged weapon; Hunter still shoots prey

Started by TLHeart, June 22, 2015, 05:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Very interesting event. Have a hunter equip a personal shield, and a ranged weapon, and have them go hunting. They will walk up to the prey and start shooting, from point blank range, until the prey is dead.

Not what I was expecting to happen, since the personal shield prevents the use of ranged weapons.

to recreate,
have a hunter force wear a personal shield, with a ranged weapon.
Have them hunt an animal.
Observe the shots from point blank range.
Prey dies.

axeometric

I believe I'm right in saying that if a shield user has a ranged weapon equipped, regardless of the range or tech of it, the user can still fire out but only from point blank range, I think it says something about them only able to shoot at point blank range in the main shield info screen

TLHeart

here is a screen shot of what it actually says....
last line says, it prevents firing out as well

and the hunters are firing out.

SSS

So essentially, according to the info tab, shots from point-blank range shouldn't be stopped by a shield, but shots going out should always be shot.

It's possible the description is incorrect rather than the gameplay, with point-blank gunfire being allowed out of the shield and all gunfire (even point blank) going in being blocked.

TLHeart

Quote from: SSS on June 22, 2015, 09:52:39 PM
So essentially, according to the info tab, shots from point-blank range shouldn't be stopped by a shield, but shots going out should always be shot.

It's possible the description is incorrect rather than the gameplay, with point-blank gunfire being allowed out of the shield and all gunfire (even point blank) going in being blocked.

another person that does not read what the shield does...

it prevents firing out as well....

in any other situation with a personal shield, the pawn can not fire a ranged weapon, in any way.  But a hunter can...

Cimanyd

Quote from: TLHeart on June 22, 2015, 10:22:31 PM
in any other situation with a personal shield, the pawn can not fire a ranged weapon, in any way.  But a hunter can...

I just tested, and a colonist with a personal shield can still shoot at things right next to her when drafted. It also doesn't stop point-blank shots  from another colonist, though that doesn't matter normally since enemies switch to melee anyway when you're that close.

If I remember correctly, the personal shield is supposed to stop incoming and outgoing damage from anywhere except right next to the wearer. Nothing to do with whether it's a melee or ranged weapon.

The "shield user has ranged weapon" warning agrees with this.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

StorymasterQ

So maybe the shield has a range of slightly larger than a person's reach, so:
- shooting far away is blocked
- getting close so that the enemy is 'inside' the shield allows ranged weapons to work
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

TLHeart

again, the hunter is not touching the animal but is two cells away, and shots. The personal shield is supposed to prevent shots going out.

and here is haskel shooting at a deer from two cells away, not touching.

TLHeart

If all you people don't think it is a bug, then it is a great way to have your hunting parties not shoot each other, since they never shoot from a distance.  Just have to remember to have the hunters drop the shields when it is time for battle with the other factions.

Cimanyd

Quote from: TLHeart on June 22, 2015, 11:39:57 PM
again, the hunter is not touching the animal but is two cells away, and shots. The personal shield is supposed to prevent shots going out.

and here is haskel shooting at a deer from two cells away, not touching.
[image]

The deer is moving in the screenshot, right? I think I noticed the colonist could start aiming a shot when the target was right next to her, and still made the shot after the target moved away a little bit. I guess you could consider that a bug, though I don't see how it can be exploited, since you still have to get in point-blank range of something to shoot it.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

TLHeart

very simple guys, The in game action does NOT match the description of what the personal shield says it does.... and that is prevents firing out as well

And then the other tool tip says, except at target that are already touching them....

That is the definition of a bug, we have two tool tips, saying different things.

So which is it, prevents firing out, or allows firing only when touching?

Tynan

It "prevents firing out" but technically if you're shooting at something you're touching, you're not firing *out*, because they're partly inside the bubble with you. Pushing a gun into someone's chest and firing is pretty much the same as stabbing them. But yeah, I can clarify this.

Also the hunters' behavior is just weird so I'll call it a bug. They shouldn't gun-hunt with a shield one.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Yay! My guess is most accurate.

"I might be an idiot, but I'm an accurate idiot." :D (QI Season H Episode 5, Ross Noble)
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Axelios

Congrats! It always feels good to help by finding bugs, and have your finds confirmed
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog