Start to Mod

Started by NemesisN, June 24, 2015, 10:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NemesisN

I want to know how do you Mod in RimWorld is there a specific program that makes the job easy with not much programing and coding going on or you need to be able to understand and write a code

I have seen a lot of people doing mods so I am curios is there a simple program for that ?

I want to give it a try
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

SlimeCrusher

It's not hard to mod RimWorld, unless you go to the DLL stuff, but that's optional. If you don't understand DLL coding, don't try it just yet, keep with simple stuff, you can still do awesome things with XML!  ;D (but mostly dll mods get all attention while xml mods stay at the corner of the room, reason why my mods are so unpopular)

Mainly everything you mod will be a copy-paste of original stuff from the game, so go to your Rimworld/Mods folder, and open "Core" then "Defs", you'll see a lot of folders, inside them there's some .xml files, wich you can open with any text program, i recommend Notepad++.

You can start checking those out, but before you change anything, make a new folder in yours "mods" folder, called whatever you want your mod to be called, then make a folder called "Defs" (with caps and all that stuff, calling it "defs" or "Def" doesn't work) and put it inside that other folder, inside there you can copy-paste everything you want from the original "Core" folder, just make sure to put them inside their respective folders (For example, Weapons_Guns goes inside "ThingDefs", Hediffs_Drugs goes inside "Hediffdefs").
Just if you didn't understand, your folder thingies must look like "Mods/YourModName/Defs/DEFSGOHERE"
Now you can start editting stuff, most of learning is trial and error, just make sure to ask anything here if you got stuck!

If you made a weapon, and you want to make a texture for it, use any sort of drawing program that lets you have a transparent background, otherwise it'll be a white cube with a gun drawn inside, i use GIMP, but you can use anything else. Save the texture as a .png.
After you made a texture, make a "Textures" folder inside "YourModName" folder, and put your textures in there, if you want you can also make dividing folders, like "YourModName/Textures/Weapons/Firearms/heregoestexture", but you don't need to.
After that, find the "<texPath></texPath>" thingies, and replace what goes inside them with where you put the texture. Example: "<texPath>Weapons/Firearms/superpistol</texPath> (its caps sensitive, like everything else)

I think that's all you need to start modding, wish you luck!  ;D

Illusion Distort

There are some programs to "help" you, but i preffer to do my modding by "CTRL+C and CTRL+V" trial and error, you will learn alot about the structure of rimworld defs and see for yourself how easy TY has made rimworld modding.

Ps: After some time doing my own "mods", i looked at what the other rimworld modders had done, and how they solved their problems and structured their mod. That was a true learning experience. EPOE(Expanded Prostetics & Organ Engeneering) is a mod i "tinker" with, and i must say i truly learned alot and got new ideas, even made my own small mod wich gave my starting colonists prosthetics.

Pss: comas and punctuation marks is your friend (your question was "hard" to read). If you find this comment cruel or unfitting, let me know.

Psssssss: If you need further help, let mehh knaw.