[A17] Skullywags Weapon Packs - Laser and Gauss updated!

Started by skullywag, June 24, 2015, 03:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Skullywags Weapon Packs

Click the images to get the download from my github.

Long range weapons that can randomly stun enemies. Includes a turret. You need to buy laser capacitors from traders to build.

Weapons firing insanely fast projectiles that can randomly emp enemies, great against mechs. Includes a turret. You need to buy gauss magnets from traders to build.

Thanks to Marnador for his awesome Rimworld font

Thanks to the guys over at Goldhawk Interactive and Rmory Studios for making Xenonauts and creating such awesome art from which the weapons are derived from.

Thanks to Rikiki for writing awesome laser projectile code, without it my lasers would be meh.

License - You may do whatever you want with the code in my mods, except for straight updating it (leave that to me please) as long as you dont use it to make money in any way shape or form. This includes taking donations. Modpack owners I require a PM to request inclusion. Art within my mods may not be used without consent, some of the art was not done by me so PM me first.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

kaptain_kavern

Man you're a modding machine!

Can wait to try to burn some raiders/zombies.

Thx

Materialjam

Great! The only complaint I might have is with the ranges of the weapons, right now they are all almost equal...

Perhaps you could have the gauss act as a slow-firing sniper turret of sorts, the plasma as a short-to-mid fast firing weapon, and the laser somewhere in-between the two? Atm, I have ditched everything for plasma since it is a single-block turret with equal range to the others while also having good burst and damage.

nmid

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

nmid

Quote from: Materialjam on June 26, 2015, 12:21:45 PM
Great! The only complaint I might have is with the ranges of the weapons, right now they are all almost equal...

Perhaps you could have the gauss act as a slow-firing sniper turret of sorts, the plasma as a short-to-mid fast firing weapon, and the laser somewhere in-between the two? Atm, I have ditched everything for plasma since it is a single-block turret with equal range to the others while also having good burst and damage.

I agree. Just had a look at the xmls.
I was thinking of changing the values to something I like, but I risk making them OP :p

I'll wait for skullywag to make them a bit more distinct before adding it to my game.
Thanks once again, looking forward to using them.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

skullywag

This is what i need, feedback, one thing i dont know if anyone has noticed yet is that lasers have a chance to stun, plasma a chance to set on fire and gauss a chance to emp, so they all have their uses, ill definitely be doing another revision with changes but ill wait for some more feedback.

Fallatus

In my opinion: Gauss should have long charge time but have the most damage, Plasma should be at the medium and Lasers should be the fastest firing but with longer cooldown.

Gauss:
Loong range (unless there's a face in the way it wont stop quickly.)
Long charge time (charging capacitors.)
Highest damage (you try taking a hyper velocity round to the face and be fine.)
Medium cooldown (Gotta bleed of that heat!)
Low fire rate (don't need more than a few shots to take both an arm and a leg.)

Plasma:
Medium range (the plasma would eventually disperse)
Medium to short charge (heating the plasma.)
Medium to high damage (Plasma is usually pretty hot, Y'know?)
Medium to long cooldown (gotta discharge the heat buildup.)
Medium fire rate (Plasma is isolated from the barrel but still bleed of some heat.)

Lasers:
Long range (it's a laser, They go pretty far.)
Low charge time (The power is already in its batteries)
Low to medium damage (a laser is rather precise.)
Short to medium cooldown (Batteries have to recharge.)
High fire rate (Lasers don't exactly have bullet limits.)

Flame:
Short range (fire is basically uncontained plasma)
Low charge time (the fuel comes ready to go)
Short to high damage (the longer you are exposed to fire the worse it gets)
Short cooldown: (no need to recharge but maybe to cool down the barrel a bit)
Medium to high "fire" rate (What you gonna do when the tanks empty and the barrel too hot?)

hypnoshadow

Quote from: Fallatus on June 26, 2015, 03:47:25 PM
In my opinion: Gauss should have long charge time but have the most damage, Plasma should be at the medium and Lasers should be the fastest firing but with longer cooldown.

Gauss:
Loong range (unless there's a face in the way it wont stop quickly.)
Long charge time (charging capacitors.)
Highest damage (you try taking a hyper velocity round to the face and be fine.)
Medium cooldown (Gotta bleed of that heat!)
Low fire rate (don't need more than a few shots to take both an arm and a leg.)

Plasma:
Medium range (the plasma would eventually disperse)
Medium to short charge (heating the plasma.)
Medium to high damage (Plasma is usually pretty hot, Y'know?)
Medium to long cooldown (gotta discharge the heat buildup.)
Medium fire rate (Plasma is isolated from the barrel but still bleed of some heat.)

Lasers:
Long range (it's a laser, They go pretty far.)
Low charge time (The power is already in its batteries)
Low to medium damage (a laser is rather precise.)
Short to medium cooldown (Batteries have to recharge.)
High fire rate (Lasers don't exactly have bullet limits.)

Flame:
Short range (fire is basically uncontained plasma)
Low charge time (the fuel comes ready to go)
Short to high damage (the longer you are exposed to fire the worse it gets)
Short cooldown: (no need to recharge but maybe to cool down the barrel a bit)
Medium to high "fire" rate (What you gonna do when the tanks empty and the barrel too hot?)

this/\

Dragoon

Quote from: skullywag on June 26, 2015, 03:15:41 PM
is that lasers have a chance to stun, plasma a chance to set on fire and gauss a chance to emp

I wonder if they all could have the same (or similar) stats but with different element chances.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

nmid

Quote from: skullywag on June 26, 2015, 03:15:41 PM
is that lasers have a chance to stun, plasma a chance to set on fire and gauss a chance to emp

I did notice... was quite happy and was going to use lasers to do some quick captures..
if we do change it to what fallatus suggested, then it might be more balanced as stunned enemies will be out of easy grab range.

I think his suggestions are very well presented and well thought out. I find it quite appealing :).

N4rF

My question is, how do you produce the components for these turrets? Is there a table to do so or is it all trade?

nosureph

these sprites look like they were ripped straight from xenonauts

skullywag

All trade for turret components, i did think about having it as a breakdown the weapons type dealy but it didnt really work.

Nosureph I put in the notes under the links that these are from xenonauts, i play it a lot and love the art style that rmory did for them so, i pixelated them and threw them into rimworld.

also Fellatus thats a hell of a first post, am adjusting accordingly and we'll see how people like it.

dragoon did you mean different chances per weapon so a laser pistol has less chance than the rifle of stunning?

Materialjam

Glad I could get the ball rolling! Fallatus hit the nail right on the head, even better than my original idea, and something like that would definitely give each one a more distinct feeling in addition to their current properties.

As for different chances for the different weapons, that sounds like a great idea! The pistol obviously having the least chance to have an effect, up to the turret with the greatest chance.

skullywag

Rebalanced weapons based on:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13992.msg145252#msg145252

Please feedback on this id like to get this nailed. Im worried that with the cooldowns raised pawns are going to be rooted to the spot a lot more and wont respond to commands until the cooldown is over.