A handful of suggestions

Started by ba12348, June 24, 2015, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ba12348

Insulated walls:  Current walls get an insulation value, granite wall > wood wall > steel wall, and get an insulated version of some wall types, wood, steel, etc, hard to insulate a sandstone wall though.

Item repair: gain the ability to repair items such as clothing and guns (at a machinery table), includes a chance to completely destroy the item in the process depending on the skill of the worker, and the condition of the item when they start.

book learning:  Colonists can read to improve certain skills, like crafting, tailoring, cooking and social.  Improves the skill faster than actually doing it, but does not produce anything, and can only improve it up to a point.  Other skills such as mining can only be improved by doing, cant really read how to dig a hole after all.  Perhaps books need to be purchased from traders and come in many versions, i.e. "basic cooking" can raise a cooking level to 3, "intermediate cooking" can raise a cooking level to 6, but only if it is already a 3, and advanced takes it to 9 if its at 6.

Central computer:  Allows all objects to be switched from a central point, but can be accessed by anyone, so enemies could turn off your defenses if they get to it.  Might also be affected by mechanoids.

How about another power source too, like a generator?  Consumes wood (or coal or oil if they were to be added  to the game) to produce moderate, constant power, less than a geothermal but doesn't fluctuate with weather, and isn't tied to a location like geo.  fueling falls under the responsibilities of a hauler, and can be given an extra priority level (essential?) so that it will draw fuel from a "critical" stockpile.  Likewise, could be turned off so that it wont consume fuel, but can be there and available in case of emergency.
(I'd also like to see a uranium reactor, but that might be a bit OP)

And one last thing: an Armoire/dresser, claimed just like a bed, and colonists can use it to automatically store clothes (like parkas in summer) and can be stocked with new clothes which colonists will automatically take to replace worn out clothing.

MrWiggles

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Most of these suggestions have already been suggested a lot. Everything except the computer one. I've been thinking of making a suggesting for bandwidth or cycles be a resources for the camp to manage guns and doors... but it didnt feel like there was a lot things for colony mainframe to do yet. Though I do like it being a use for the ai cores.

Anyway, as I said before, most of these suggestions have been suggested a lot. Like tonnes before. They've been suggested so often, they cliche in the 'cheapest idea' thread and 'frequent suggestion thread. I've taken a shine in trying to understand why you, the new guy, thought they werent suggested before.

I'm not meaning to be disparaging or condescending, I am really interested in new folks come into a community for  game thats been out for a bit, with an active  community, then make a litany repetitive suggestions.  It happens on lots of other games too like Dwarf Fotress.

So whats the thought process or the goal?

Axelios

My feedback:

Insulated Walls:
This makes sense. I'd like to see this implemented using some sort of gel or stuffing. It could be applied to existing walls, and as you say, take varying levels of skill.

Item Repair:
This makes sense, and you've given a nice example of how it could go wrong. I hope this gets added.

Book Learning:
I have seen that the game already has "Neural Learner" things that can be bought from traders for a high price. I don't know how well they work yet, so although books sound very similar, I don't have much to say. Perhaps a neural learner is instant and one use, and books can be very slow and multiple use?

Central Computer
I think the game is crying out for more switches and such for the power net. This sounds like a desire for better net control, which I want too.

Power Source:
This sounds good, and I've seen it done in the Superior Crafting mod pack. Did you know that the Ship Power Core is a legitimate power source? Produces a measly 1000W but it can be used anywhere.

Dresser
This sounds good, I think the game needs a storage solution for clothes.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

MrWiggles

None of the suggestions are bad, these repetitive suggestions aren't bad, its why in part they keep being brought up. They aren't just super easy, no brainer things to create in the girl.

Asero

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:21:07 PM
I am really interested in new folks come into a community for  game thats been out for a bit, with an active  community, then make a litany repetitive suggestions.  It happens on lots of other games too like Dwarf Fotress. So whats the thought process or the goal?

Worse things can happen. Especially if all you see is people complaining, getting angry, asking for refunds. Go look at some of the Steam forums for other pre-release/alpha games out there. Annoying yes, but I think it's kind of a positive sign that a game/developer might be doing something right after all--even if people want to come and post their ideas ad nauseam.

MrWiggles

I'm not against it. I just want to understand it.

StorymasterQ

Don't we all, Mr. Wiggles. Don't we all.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Toggle

Yo, copying style as Axe. Mah own feedback.

Insulated Walls:
A fine idea, would probably cost half the walls cost in cloth, we took away the insulated wall, this could fill the space. Would make the wall more flammable though (Possibly, unless it was say built inside the walls middle with two edges covering it).

Item Repair:
Suggested before, Tynan has actually addressed it, it wont really happen. Something to do with short lives, not really worth it for the majority of stuff like clothing. Some things you can't make though, which I get, but yeah.

Book Learning:
A way to learn skills, although the problem with this is we have this already in a different form. The thingamajiggies, they look like eyeballs, they connect to your brain. Colonist uses this, it improves skills. It's the same as the book, but instant, so it's better. So books wouldn't really benefit.

Central Computer:
This doesn't have enough information for me. Would turning this on/off basically switch every item connected to the power stream on/off? So a giant switch but turns EVERYTHING off? Doesn't seem like it would be that effective. If you mean turning off any device from it, they're simple electrical wirings, and stuff like lamps wouldn't make sense to turn off from a computer across the entire base.

Power Source:
This is an idea suggested, which I'm meh on. Not much commentary besides how exactly it would be added.

Dresser:
Oh, this is a giant can of worms to be opened. This is one of the most common suggestions, although not exact, but something to store clothing. I don't have much to say on this, except it would prevent access to individual pieces of clothing in it, and Rimworld tries to let you access everything.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

ba12348

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 24, 2015, 09:21:07 PM
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not meaning to be disparaging or condescending, I am really interested in new folks come into a community for  game thats been out for a bit, with an active  community, then make a litany repetitive suggestions.  It happens on lots of other games too like Dwarf Fotress.

So whats the thought process or the goal?

Ah thinly veiled criticisms are always so nice when coming to a new community.  And I suppose I could be considered new in that I only have 3 posts on this forum, but I've been playing Rimworld since version 254. 

But enough about that, the thought process goes something like this:  In 10 pages of the suggestion forum the only things I repeated were clothing related, granted I did not dig through the "cheapest suggestions" thread, in fact I thought about putting a few of these there, but decided there were enough it warranted its own thread, and 10 pages is a hair over a month of suggestions.

Having established that very few of my suggestions are repeats, I looked at the few that were, all clothing related.  I found http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13493.0 which talks about changing clothes automatically, and http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13603.0 which also talks about changing clothes, but brings the wardrobe into it,  http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12097.0 brings up wardrobes again but mainly talks about revamping the cloth system, http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13791.0 talks about repairs, but also talks about degrading them every time you do so which I can't say I particularly care for but thats not why we're here, and  http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13859.0 talks about outfits and making colonists smart enough to wear armor when they plan to get shot at.

So long story short, when I posted this I posted (to the best of my knowledge) 4.5 new ideas (repairs are half)  repeated 1 idea which I feel is sorely needed ingame, and basically suggested one thing already ingame (did not know about the neural learner).

Toggle

Actually, insulated walls are the only thing I haven't seen suggested before. Pretty much everything but the books, which was the neural learner as you just said, has been almost posted with those exact specifications. You won't find them all in individual idea posts, as they are scattered around in other forums, and on reddit. Even a bit may not be posted but have certainly been thought of, such as the clothes dresser in every possible way shape and form, but not posted.

Axelios

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 25, 2015, 12:06:30 AM
Actually, insulated walls are the only thing I haven't seen suggested before. Pretty much everything but the books, which was the neural learner as you just said, has been almost posted with those exact specifications. You won't find them all in individual idea posts, as they are scattered around in other forums, and on reddit. Even a bit may not be posted but have certainly been thought of, such as the clothes dresser in every possible way shape and form, but not posted.

Details :) It sounds like he would have to obsessively search through every forum post and Reddit thread to get it right. If that's the requirement, I wouldn't expect anyone to post suggestions, because I wouldn't wish that level of research on anyone.

I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

SSS

Item repair and wardrobes have been suggested a lot, but I don't get the attack on OP. o.O

Speaking of which, I liked ZOMBIE's idea to only allow things colonists can't create to be repaired.

Anyway, as for the rest:

Insulated Walls: Yes please! Building aesthetically-pleasing bases can make temperature management difficult, so an option that doesn't require double-walling would be very much appreciated even if it does require more colony time/resources (such as growing cotton for the cloth). You could even have traders carry an expensive insulator that's more effective.

Book Learning: I think this could have a place. We already have neurotrainers, as others mentioned. Books could be a poor man's (i.e. early game) alternative that isn't as effective: You have to spend time reading it; it would only a bit more effective (+50%?) than actually doing the job; you don't get the products of the job; and it stops working (for the given colonist) after a few uses. I'm a little iffy on whether it would be worth the trouble, but conceptually I like the idea.

Central Computer: Don't get me wrong. I really really like this idea... but I think it would be hard to balance. Allowing raiders to sabotage your base if they get to it doesn't mean much, since you'll likely put it in one of the most secure places in your base. Unless you had a new raid type that could hack your computer and screw with your systems (e.g. open all the autodoors, deactivate all the turrets), it would be really really overpowered, and even at that I'm a little uncertain. If Tynan would be willing to balance something like that, though, then I'm for it.

New Power Source: This is suggested on occasion in different forms. I wouldn't mind if we could power our bases temporarily via heat from wood or something, but beyond that I'm hesitant.

Toggle

Quote from: Axelios on June 25, 2015, 12:18:27 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 25, 2015, 12:06:30 AM

Details :) It sounds like he would have to obsessively search through every forum post and Reddit thread to get it right. If that's the requirement, I wouldn't expect anyone to post suggestions, because I wouldn't wish that level of research on anyone.

Yeah, I was just talking about how he said it was 4.5 new ideas. I feeel the neeeed to correct.

MrWiggles

Well, I know that the dresser was brought up before in the cheapest idea through. Though that was more about item stacking.

I think its pretty clear that Rimworld could use some love with great variety of items being able to be stacked.

But I wouldnt really call it a requirement. I'm am not personally against the repeats. Mostly because I dont think they can be stopped. After a certain point, you just have to engage in the community to get a feeling of whats been suggested and wants.

So I suppose, my inquiry is why do they have a need to make suggestions, that have more then likely already been posted?  I dont think it comes from a bad place. I'm just curious.

Toggle

Well, if he sees the idea being suggested a lot it's likely he'll try to find a good method for adding it, since Tynan probably doesn't want to add in the currently suggested method, or just hasn't yet.