A handful of suggestions

Started by ba12348, June 24, 2015, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axelios

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 25, 2015, 07:47:12 PM
So I suppose, my inquiry is why do they have a need to make suggestions, that have more then likely already been posted?  I dont think it comes from a bad place. I'm just curious.

Personally, if I think something has probably beem suggested before, I'll have a look for it. I won't spend all day looking, and if I don't find it I'll go ahead and suggest it again.

It sounds to me like you don't understand why people aren't thinking of something, and then not posting it after deciding it's "more then likely already been posted".

I'm a little annoyed at folks seeming to jump on suggestion makers here. I see that you've said your only curious so I'm trying to be too hasty myself.

Basically, it sounds like you think a suggestion should not be made if it seems obvious. I can understand that.

I think that every suggestion should be made, even the really dumb one. But if the suggestion has already been made and can easily be found in 5 minutes, then I think it shouldn't be repeated.

Despite that, I don't think we should expect people to spend a long time searching for whether a suggestion has already been made.
The reason I think that, is I think if we demand suggesters do a labourious amount of digging in the forum before suggesting things, we'll miss out on good ideas because someone will decide it isn't worth the effort.

So, I understand that seeing the same ideas repeated is boring, but I wouldn't want it policed because dumb ideas can spark great ones, and repeated ideas can come with a new twist that makes it work.

*Breathes*.
I hope I wasn't harsh, Mr Wiggles. It's been a long day.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Toggle

Quote from: Axelios on June 26, 2015, 03:15:58 AM
Quote from: MrWiggles on June 25, 2015, 07:47:12 PM
So I suppose, my inquiry is why do they have a need to make suggestions, that have more then likely already been posted?  I dont think it comes from a bad place. I'm just curious.

So, I understand that seeing the same ideas repeated is boring, but I wouldn't want it policed because dumb ideas can spark great ones, and repeated ideas can come with a new twist that makes it work.
Basically that ^
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

MrWiggles

I get that. But some of the suggestions are /super/ obvious, in such a fashion the Dev must have known it'd a keen thing to do.

Like the stacking clothing thing. He's (the dev) played through the game, had lots of clothes, and more then likely went, "I wish my item system could handle stacking of those items but it can't right now.". And if he didn't then the early testers more then likely caught it. Its very obvious bit of tedium that is extremely space intensive and we all know from real life that clothing can be compressed and stacked into a very small volume.  Its not a leap there.

So is there some part of the thinking from the new posters, something like, "Well obviously, stacking clothing has escaped everyone thats played the game collectively longer then I have, as its not implement."

Toggle

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 26, 2015, 01:23:25 PM
I get that. But some of the suggestions are /super/ obvious, in such a fashion the Dev must have known it'd a keen thing to do.

Like the stacking clothing thing. He's (the dev) played through the game, had lots of clothes, and more then likely went, "I wish my item system could handle stacking of those items but it can't right now.". And if he didn't then the early testers more then likely caught it. Its very obvious bit of tedium that is extremely space intensive and we all know from real life that clothing can be compressed and stacked into a very small volume.  Its not a leap there.

So is there some part of the thinking from the new posters, something like, "Well obviously, stacking clothing has escaped everyone thats played the game collectively longer then I have, as its not implement."

Eh, actually though, I doubt Tynan plays through the game that much, as he has a lot to do. Also, the more it's suggested, the more the demand rises, the more likely something will be added in similar, or Tynan will say something about it.

MrWiggles

As stipulated, if he didnt, then the tester would have brought it up.

Toggle

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 26, 2015, 05:54:02 PM

Just a note though, the testers are pretty much us. We test for him. And I don't see how they would. The testers are supposed to report glitches and bugs and such, not suggestions. Why would someone testing the game go "Oh I see we can't stack clothes, even though we haven't been able to ever before and all changes are listed in the changelogs and pre-release video".

SSS

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 26, 2015, 07:21:49 PM
Quote from: MrWiggles on June 26, 2015, 05:54:02 PM

Just a note though, the testers are pretty much us. We test for him. And I don't see how they would. The testers are supposed to report glitches and bugs and such, not suggestions. Why would someone testing the game go "Oh I see we can't stack clothes, even though we haven't been able to ever before and all changes are listed in the changelogs and pre-release video".

This is correct. Testers are explicitly told to take suggestions to the suggestions forum. They only report bugs/glitches.

MrWiggles

There are the private testers, before the public release

Asero

Soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself. And this is the nature of the universe; we struggle against it, we fight to deny it, but it is of course pretend, it is a lie. ;D

Toggle

Quote from: MrWiggles on June 26, 2015, 08:42:05 PM

Yeah... and they're us. Literally, a few weeks ago you could see the thread in the general forum from Tynan asking for the alpha 12 testers. If you're willing to check for bugs and be ready to clearly report them, you can sign up as a tester. There's a few other people who have helped Tynan on the game, but he's the main developer and we're he only people besides him who test.

Toggle

Quote from: Asero on June 26, 2015, 09:37:29 PM
Soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself. And this is the nature of the universe; we struggle against it, we fight to deny it, but it is of course pretend, it is a lie. ;D

Yes, nice Matrix quote there. Totally relevant to the topic.

SSS

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 26, 2015, 10:51:37 PM

Yeah... and they're us. Literally, a few weeks ago you could see the thread in the general forum from Tynan asking for the alpha 12 testers. If you're willing to check for bugs and be ready to clearly report them, you can sign up as a tester. There's a few other people who have helped Tynan on the game, but he's the main developer and we're he only people besides him who test.

He was calling for public testers, but the concept is still the same whether the tester is public or private. Testers report bugs and glitches. They don't make suggestions. All suggestions go in the suggestions forum. You can look at the mantis yourself if you're skeptical. Tynan actively tells testers to keep suggestions to the forums. All discussion is oriented toward fixing bugs.

My point still stands.

Toggle

Quote from: SSS on June 27, 2015, 01:06:39 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 26, 2015, 10:51:37 PM

He was calling for public testers, but the concept is still the same whether the tester is public or private. Testers report bugs and glitches. They don't make suggestions. All suggestions go in the suggestions forum. You can look at the mantis yourself if you're skeptical. Tynan actively tells testers to keep suggestions to the forums. All discussion is oriented toward fixing bugs.

My point still stands.

Uh... I'm not sure what your point is because it seems you're trying to argue against mine, and my point was the testers wouldn't suggest stuff. I think we have the same point, because I was telling him just the fact we're the testers.

TLHeart

oh, testers suggest stuff all the time, at least I do, some are in the public suggestions area. We just have to be sure our suggestion is based upon current public knowledge.

But many many of the suggestions are simple repeats of what has been suggested before. Some Tynan has said he likes the idea, but that at the present time they will not be implemented, as he has other things he wants to implement first. And he makes no promises either.

Razvan92