[A12d] Ish's Medieval Mods - Update: Alpha 12 and Balance (1 Sep 2015)

Started by IshOfTheWoods, June 24, 2015, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_Dandy

I wonder if it is possible to add horseback riding to the game. :) Anyways, glad to hear there are hopes and plans making this an epic medieval MOD of Rimworld.

NephilimNexus

I can see this getting copy/pasted into every fantasy mod henceforth.  Speaking of which, when are the orcs coming back?

IshOfTheWoods

Just updated: added a noble house faction!

Quote from: akiceabear on June 27, 2015, 01:04:29 PM
If oil is implemented, it could also act as fuel for lighting. In medieval times it should be challenging to always have vibrant light, correct?

If oiled ground isn't implemented, there are other fuel possibilities listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons

Perhaps the most consistent to use within RimWorld would be that when you butcher a creature you also receive a share of animal fat, which can then be spread into the ground (but degrades with time). Different animals have differing fat output.

A perhaps even easier one would to be incorporate a mechanic that allows you split stacks of wood into 1 wood bundles and lay them in an area, waiting for a well-timed fire arrow.

Good points - I'll see what I can do

Quote from: CovertGhost7377 on June 27, 2015, 03:43:23 PM
Do you think you could make trebuchet and catapult mortars? As a way to combat sieges without real mortars.

Most certainly  :D

Quote from: Beathrus on June 27, 2015, 09:44:22 PM
I feel like the game, Therian Saga would be a good basic idea factory for this mod; when it comes to gear at least.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Quote from: Tynan on June 28, 2015, 01:52:49 AM
This looks really fantastic, actually. Great work.

Wow! Thank you! If you want to incorporate any/all into vanilla, feel free

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on June 28, 2015, 02:31:14 AM
I wonder if it is possible to add horseback riding to the game. :) Anyways, glad to hear there are hopes and plans making this an epic medieval MOD of Rimworld.

It should be possible, the question is how hard it would be. I think I'll probably wait to see if that's ever added to vanilla before putting too much work in.

Quote from: NephilimNexus on June 28, 2015, 02:31:45 AM
I can see this getting copy/pasted into every fantasy mod henceforth.  Speaking of which, when are the orcs coming back?

Thanks! I might try to make a fantasy mod myself, after I make enough medieval stuff.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Kaballah

I notice that the nasal helmet does not actually cover the nose, it really should.

e: I tinkered with this for a while and I can't guess the syntax to specify a particular body part, and Nose is not in a convenient group.   :(

Also, base trade values for everything are way lower than what they should be, compare them to pretty much everything else in vanilla apparel.  Very well done mod though!

hector212121

Ish, what about a crossbow? Make it deal, like, 30 damage, more accurate than greatbow, lower fire rate.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: skullywag on June 28, 2015, 03:31:55 PM
that parapet texture is simply edible....love it.

It might be a bit hard on the teeth... But thanks, Skully! Mostly I took the brick wall atlas and gave it a haircut

Quote from: Kaballah on June 30, 2015, 09:21:36 PM
I notice that the nasal helmet does not actually cover the nose, it really should.

e: I tinkered with this for a while and I can't guess the syntax to specify a particular body part, and Nose is not in a convenient group.   :(

Also, base trade values for everything are way lower than what they should be, compare them to pretty much everything else in vanilla apparel.  Very well done mod though!

When I started playing around with this an alpha or two ago, it didn't look simple to make it cover the nose. I might take another look, but if it's not an easy fix, I'll probably just call that an abstraction... Besides, the main point of the nose bar is not to protect the nose itself, but provide extra protect to the face in general (from slashing attacks). The bar does not protect from projectiles or stabs from the side.

I'll need to take a look at the trade values. Was it just the apparel? Crafted items have their market value based off of material, amount of material, work and quality (I think), not explicitly set like other items. I wonder if it might be since steel is so cheap... I could either make it use more, take more work, or see if some sort of multiplier is possible.

Thanks for feedback! I haven't had time to playtest for anything besides bugs, so this sort of balancing feedback is much appreciated. All my balance work is in spreadsheets and very theoretical.

Quote from: hector212121 on June 30, 2015, 10:42:52 PM
Ish, what about a crossbow? Make it deal, like, 30 damage, more accurate than greatbow, lower fire rate.

Project Armory already includes a crossbow or two. I'll take another look at that, and then maybe make my own or just incorporate that into my mod. I also need to make some decisions about medieval ranged weapons in general. Any suggestions?

Kaballah

Quote from: IshOfTheWoods on July 01, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
When I started playing around with this an alpha or two ago, it didn't look simple to make it cover the nose. I might take another look, but if it's not an easy fix, I'll probably just call that an abstraction...

I'm certain there's a way to specify a particular body part, it's just a question of syntax.  PM Tynan and just ask (or Tynan if you're reading please enlighten us).

Also another thing that would be cool to have would be a low tech shield, like something worn on the arm (possibly another reason to get this armor syntax question answered) that provides "block chance", something like how darkness inflicts miss chance.  I doubt that would be simple but it'd be really nice to have an alternative to high tech shields.

QuoteI'll need to take a look at the trade values. Was it just the apparel?

Yeah the weapons didn't look far out of line.  Full platemail probably should be somewhat similar in cost to power armor really.

Also you may want to ease up a little bit on how hot armor makes you, I noticed that with fur gambeson/helmet/hauberk my colonists were complaining of heat even though the outdoor temperature was about 4C.  I think the heat thing is a good feature, just maybe tone it down a bit.

Kyos

Hi! I was until recently working on a similar full conversion mod called LotR. (Until I lost all the data when the laptop melted, again. And had to recreate it all from scratch. (25% done as of writing!)) And while that was/is medieval fantasy, - there is certainly quite a bit of overlap with regular medievalness, for obvious reasons.

Anyhow: Know that you have my support and I volunteer assistance with def wrangling and texture sprites. But not C#. I don't do C#.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Kaballah on July 01, 2015, 01:20:58 AM
Also another thing that would be cool to have would be a low tech shield, like something worn on the arm (possibly another reason to get this armor syntax question answered) that provides "block chance", something like how darkness inflicts miss chance.  I doubt that would be simple but it'd be really nice to have an alternative to high tech shields.

No need to reinvent the wheel (or shield): Skullywag's Defensive Mods

Yeah the weapons didn't look far out of line.  Full platemail probably should be somewhat similar in cost to power armor really.

I don't think I want it to be quite that expensive. It's defense values are lower, the penalties are higher. Should be more expensive than it is for sure though. I'll see what I can do to beef it up. I'll probably get to all this this weekend.

Also you may want to ease up a little bit on how hot armor makes you, I noticed that with fur gambeson/helmet/hauberk my colonists were complaining of heat even though the outdoor temperature was about 4C.  I think the heat thing is a good feature, just maybe tone it down a bit.

Yeah, that's too much for sure. If that was gambeson and plate I might call it a feature, but that definitely needs to be toned down. Although I do wonder if fur has some sort of multiplier or offset that made it even worse. Time for testing!

Quote from: Kyos on July 01, 2015, 07:41:50 AM
Hi! I was until recently working on a similar full conversion mod called LotR. (Until I lost all the data when the laptop melted, again. And had to recreate it all from scratch. (25% done as of writing!)) And while that was/is medieval fantasy, - there is certainly quite a bit of overlap with regular medievalness, for obvious reasons.

Anyhow: Know that you have my support and I volunteer assistance with def wrangling and texture sprites. But not C#. I don't do C#.

I remember seeing that thread. It was looking pretty good but then pretty dead -- sorry about your laptop. Feel free to incorporate any of these mods/resources into yours, and thanks for offer of assistance. If you want to collaborate more directly, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck with the rewrite!

AllenWL

Quote from: IshOfTheWoods on July 01, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
Project Armory already includes a crossbow or two. I'll take another look at that, and then maybe make my own or just incorporate that into my mod. I also need to make some decisions about medieval ranged weapons in general. Any suggestions?
Well, there are a few medieval ranged weapons, but mostly, they tended to be close-range stuff.

The ones I know are:
Crossbow- Usually stronger, slower, and with bigger range then the bow. Easier to aim. Smaller types where faster to load, but not much more powerful then bows.
Sling- If you where good enough, you could out-range longbows with this weapon. Also packs quite a punch.
Javelin/throwing spears- Good for both melee and ranged combat, though usually somewhat lacking in both. Still has a decent range on it.
Boomerang- While a weapon(sorta) more useful for playing or hunting small game than combat. Still, you get what you get....
Throwing knives- Like knives, but smaller and throwable.

And that's about it for all medieval ranged weaponry I know of. There's the blowdart and bola as well, but I don't think they really fit in the 'medieval' thing. On that regard, nether to boomerangs and slings, really...

Wild Card

Hey just dropped by to say thanx for the great mod...i look forward to seeing more of it...or the total conversion that you have planned :)
Thx again it`s a great mod :)

Kaballah

Quote from: IshOfTheWoods on July 01, 2015, 08:46:48 AM
Also another thing that would be cool to have would be a low tech shield, like something worn on the arm ...

No need to reinvent the wheel (or shield): Skullywag's Defensive Mods

Awesome, I didn't know that existed.  I'll look at it and see if it has the bodypart specific syntax also, thanks.
e: torso and neck, never mind

skullywag

My mod simply protects against damage it doesnt cover body parts. It could do though, i think you have the potential part the damage is going to hit in the preabsorbdamage method so you could check in there and only do the chance based calculations if its on you allowed list of body parts. Probably only a few limes of code, a few more if you want it xml definable.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Kaballah

Well the real question was what's the syntax to get an armor piece to cover a specific body part (e.g. the nose)?