[A12d] Ish's Medieval Mods - Update: Alpha 12 and Balance (1 Sep 2015)

Started by IshOfTheWoods, June 24, 2015, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetardedWabbit

Love the mod and the dedication!
I do have to say that you really need to nerf the stamped earth walls. 40 work is not nearly enough for a wall with 1000 health that costs no resources? Either the work needs to be massively increased, like a 1000 work or more, or their health needs to be decreased a lot which is my suggestion.
Besides that, love your creation!

Amalfi

Wild Card

Yeah please let there be an A12 version of this....im looking forward to see where this mod will go

IshOfTheWoods

Update! Alpha 12, nerfed stamped-earth walls, reworked the noble house faction.

While all feedback is appreciated, in particular I'd like to hear about:

• Balance on crossbows and ballista
  • Balance on noble house
  • Stamped-earth walls: do they even add much? Should I just cut it out?

Quote from: The13thRonin on August 12, 2015, 10:41:29 AM
Suggestion: Change the factions name to Feudalists?

It's weird to call a pawn a Noble Houser.

Did you see this text in game? I haven't seen it. When it's referring to a group of them, they are called "Medieval Retainers" and when talking about individual ones, I believe it used the pawnkind names (guard, squire, man-at-arms, knight).

Quote from: ninjabreadman32 on August 11, 2015, 03:00:27 PM
Quote from: Hunter00064 on August 08, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
For defenses you should add Ballista Bolts, craftable at Smithy, and 2 variants, Wood Tipped and Steel Tipped

I like this idea. You'd have to make the ballista a little stronger to balance with this, but it's a cool idea. And maybe even Plasteel bolts(explosive even, if you can get it to fit within the lore of the mod); really expensive, but really really strong, to help with mechanoids and the like. 

Hm... I like the sound of this, but I believe multiple ammo types might require multiple ballistas, like how in vanilla we need to create incendiary mortars, EMP mortars, etc., in which case I might hold off for now.

And to everybody: thanks for the feedback and encouragement! I am back after a busy few months.

Beathrus

Hey, I was wondering if you could add in an option so I could break down gear into materials. Since I get raided by the Noble Faction, and end up with a -Lot- of gear. So like, can you add in the option to break down the gear in like a furnace or something?

DeanSherman

Hi, i like Medieval Armor, because all items are craftable and i dont need to wait for random trader ships.
Some questions:
Why do you store unfinished smithable apparel as weapons?
Nasal helm actually doesn't protect nose, is it bug or feature?
Could you add 1-2 leather helms for diversity?
I could be wrong, but hauberk + leather duster give same protection, more comfort temperatures and less penalties, less cost than plate armor, may be you should balance it somehow, for example expand covered zone of plate armor to legs.
Good luck!

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: DeanSherman on September 27, 2015, 08:10:12 PM
Hi, i like Medieval Armor, because all items are craftable and i dont need to wait for random trader ships.
Some questions:
Why do you store unfinished smithable apparel as weapons?
That's a bug. Thanks for reporting :)

Nasal helm actually doesn't protect nose, is it bug or feature?
It's a bit of both. From my understanding of the xml, it's not possible to protect just the nose. Additionally, the nasal bar was not intended to protect the nose, but to deflect strikes to the face (imagine a slash, with the blade running down the nasal bar).

Could you add 1-2 leather helms for diversity?
Yeah, I can add a leather cap. Just did a bit of research, and it sounds like lamellar body armor was sometimes made of boiled leather plates as the primary material, so I might add that in too.

I could be wrong, but hauberk + leather duster give same protection, more comfort temperatures and less penalties, less cost than plate armor, may be you should balance it somehow, for example expand covered zone of plate armor to legs.
Interesting. I'll look into that. Leg coverage might be a good idea.

Good luck!
Thanks! And also thanks for all the great feedback. I haven't had much time for playing RimWorld let alone modding, but I have a job interview Monday and things should calm down after that.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Beathrus on September 15, 2015, 05:38:29 PM
Hey, I was wondering if you could add in an option so I could break down gear into materials. Since I get raided by the Noble Faction, and end up with a -Lot- of gear. So like, can you add in the option to break down the gear in like a furnace or something?
That is a great idea! I will work on a furnace job for the next version.

17shadow

I really enjoy your mod ish, and i've been trying to RP a small feudal kingdom using it and adding some stuff like animal rug and norbal. The only issue I have is that to be perfect i would need to deactivate the mechanoid faction and events, as well as the outlander and the pirate (basically just keeping the tribe, norbal and noble house, maybe more if i can find another custom faction that fit). Do you have an advice on that, i'm very noob at modding?

I can live with cheating on the energy, but in the way i envision this mod developing i'd figure ways to remove the need for electricity, or at least find a way to circumvent the need to remain RP. As an exemple, i try to use fires as torch as light source (i play using darkness mod, so its kinda vital), but its very limited lifespan makes that really tedious. Maybe you could drastically increase the lenght of a fire or make it auto-renew, if thats possible. Removing electricity need for the cooking stove would also be nice.

In the real long term, I think you could first make small patch to removes stuff that don't belongs in the setting (like events), and then progressively replace more hardcoded stuff with medieval equivalent.

You could make the research table an alchemist table, and i guess i as well as other could help you making an additional backstories pack to help complete the reconversion of the game. The mechanic of the game, especially with the addition of greed and stuff makes for great story and fit that setting, and i had a lot of fun by adding the relationship mod to the mix and by using careful prepare.

Sorry for long post and bad english, and you already made a wonderful job on that project, so do as you see fit and thanks for the mod.

RolandDeschain

Quote from: 17shadow on October 28, 2015, 07:47:58 PM
I really enjoy your mod ish, and i've been trying to RP a small feudal kingdom using it and adding some stuff like animal rug and norbal. The only issue I have is that to be perfect i would need to deactivate the mechanoid faction and events, as well as the outlander and the pirate (basically just keeping the tribe, norbal and noble house, maybe more if i can find another custom faction that fit). Do you have an advice on that, i'm very noob at modding?

I can live with cheating on the energy, but in the way i envision this mod developing i'd figure ways to remove the need for electricity, or at least find a way to circumvent the need to remain RP. As an exemple, i try to use fires as torch as light source (i play using darkness mod, so its kinda vital), but its very limited lifespan makes that really tedious. Maybe you could drastically increase the lenght of a fire or make it auto-renew, if thats possible. Removing electricity need for the cooking stove would also be nice.

In the real long term, I think you could first make small patch to removes stuff that don't belongs in the setting (like events), and then progressively replace more hardcoded stuff with medieval equivalent.

You could make the research table an alchemist table, and i guess i as well as other could help you making an additional backstories pack to help complete the reconversion of the game. The mechanic of the game, especially with the addition of greed and stuff makes for great story and fit that setting, and i had a lot of fun by adding the relationship mod to the mix and by using careful prepare.

Sorry for long post and bad english, and you already made a wonderful job on that project, so do as you see fit and thanks for the mod.

Them feels man. I am currently attempting the exact same thing and Ish's mods are the closest ive come so far.  As for the campfires, if you go into Rimworld>Mods>Core>Defs>Buildings_Temperature and edit the campfire lifespan to make it longer. (i simply added a 0 to the LifeSpan Ticks to make it x10 longer). If you want to create a world without pirates or outlanders, then you go to Core>Defs>FactopmDefs>Factions and you can edit the spawn on map creation to 0, and change the tribals and what not to something higher if you would like a few more of them.

EDIT: Thank you Ish for the amazing mod. I've checked this mods progress nearly daily since its first release and I can't wait for more great things to be added to it!

cuproPanda

As far as the power goes, I think this mod might be exactly what you're looking for. It is a mod I made after UOM tanked and I wanted to replicate spending a long time building up to a tech base. It should fit right in with Ish's Medieval Mods
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Shadewarp

Going to have to try this :) I have had a burning wish to make a medival kingdom in RimWorld since the begining :)

IshOfTheWoods

If you're comfortable with a little XML editing, to remove factions from the game create new faction defs with the same def name as the faction you want to remove but everything else blank (that's how I did it a few alphas ago at least). If you want I can provide a quick snippet.

I haven't had a chance to play with it myself yet, but I'd definitely recommend CuproPanda's Powerless mod, which (s)he also linked. I was going to add some of that stuff in next, but looks like CuproPanda has it covered!

When I first started working on a medieval mod (several alphas ago, and never released) I started with this. However, I decided that I needed to get feedback on my mods, and no one would want to play something with lots removed and little added. Another issue is that once I start removing things, it can quickly cause compatibility problems with other mods. Perhaps with the next release, which probably won't be for a while :(, I'll add some patches for content removal.

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the mod. Unfortunately, I haven't much free time recently and the time I do have is away from my desktop computer which can run RimWorld, so not much playing or modding recently (and probably not for next couple months). Hearing that you're enjoying the mod though makes me want to get back to it as soon as I can!

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: RolandDeschain on October 28, 2015, 09:25:22 PM
Them feels man. I am currently attempting the exact same thing and Ish's mods are the closest ive come so far.  As for the campfires, if you go into Rimworld>Mods>Core>Defs>Buildings_Temperature and edit the campfire lifespan to make it longer. (i simply added a 0 to the LifeSpan Ticks to make it x10 longer). If you want to create a world without pirates or outlanders, then you go to Core>Defs>FactopmDefs>Factions and you can edit the spawn on map creation to 0, and change the tribals and what not to something higher if you would like a few more of them.

EDIT: Thank you Ish for the amazing mod. I've checked this mods progress nearly daily since its first release and I can't wait for more great things to be added to it!

You are welcome! Sorry I haven't released much new recently... I hope to get back into it in January. Hearing that people are using and enjoying the mod is always motivating!