[A12d] Ish's Medieval Mods - Update: Alpha 12 and Balance (1 Sep 2015)

Started by IshOfTheWoods, June 24, 2015, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Okay trying to deal with mechanoids with melee is pretty dumb.  It wasn't their ranged attacks, or even the scythers' melee, but the centipedes basically sit on a guy and he dies in 1-2 hits, even with hauberk/helm/shield.  This is much more a problem with mechanoids being dumb though and not your mod (probably I'll just disable mechanoids when trying to play with this).

Beathrus

Quote from: Kaballah on July 02, 2015, 02:56:47 PM
Okay trying to deal with mechanoids with melee is pretty dumb.  It wasn't their ranged attacks, or even the scythers' melee, but the centipedes basically sit on a guy and he dies in 1-2 hits, even with hauberk/helm/shield.  This is much more a problem with mechanoids being dumb though and not your mod (probably I'll just disable mechanoids when trying to play with this).

Pfft. I like to think that, Centipedes do the 'worm' to crush people to death.

Kaballah

Getting run over by a tank would mess you up, sure, but the entire gimmick of centipedes is "big, slow, hits hard with big area damage gun" not "surgical accuracy five tendril death punch".

IshOfTheWoods

UPDATE!

Balanced Medieval Armor for market value and hot weather penalties (thanks Kaballah!) and added much-requested ballistas to Medieval Defenses.

Quote from: AllenWL on July 01, 2015, 08:51:54 AM
Well, there are a few medieval ranged weapons, but mostly, they tended to be close-range stuff.

The ones I know are:
Crossbow- Usually stronger, slower, and with bigger range then the bow. Easier to aim. Smaller types where faster to load, but not much more powerful then bows.
Sling- If you where good enough, you could out-range longbows with this weapon. Also packs quite a punch.
Javelin/throwing spears- Good for both melee and ranged combat, though usually somewhat lacking in both. Still has a decent range on it.
Boomerang- While a weapon(sorta) more useful for playing or hunting small game than combat. Still, you get what you get....
Throwing knives- Like knives, but smaller and throwable.

And that's about it for all medieval ranged weaponry I know of. There's the blowdart and bola as well, but I don't think they really fit in the 'medieval' thing. On that regard, nether to boomerangs and slings, really...

Those are all great! Thanks. I agree about boomerangs for sure, but I think slings fit well enough. I might add a bit of non-European weapons for variety - shuriken (throwing stars) and chakram (thrown circular blade, from India). Thoughts on that? Also, anyone have opinions on early gunpowder weapons, or should I leave that to other mods?

Quote from: Wild Card on July 01, 2015, 01:30:21 PM
Hey just dropped by to say thanx for the great mod...i look forward to seeing more of it...or the total conversion that you have planned :)
Thx again it`s a great mod :)

And thank you for downloading and playing! Letting me know that you are using and enjoying it is a great way to motivate me to keep working :)

Quote from: Kaballah on July 02, 2015, 02:56:47 PM

Maybe a ballista will help ;)

AllenWL

Quote from: IshOfTheWoods on July 03, 2015, 02:48:17 PM
UPDATE!

Balanced Medieval Armor for market value and hot weather penalties (thanks Kaballah!) and added much-requested ballistas to Medieval Defenses.

Quote from: AllenWL on July 01, 2015, 08:51:54 AM
Well, there are a few medieval ranged weapons, but mostly, they tended to be close-range stuff.

The ones I know are:
Crossbow- Usually stronger, slower, and with bigger range then the bow. Easier to aim. Smaller types where faster to load, but not much more powerful then bows.
Sling- If you where good enough, you could out-range longbows with this weapon. Also packs quite a punch.
Javelin/throwing spears- Good for both melee and ranged combat, though usually somewhat lacking in both. Still has a decent range on it.
Boomerang- While a weapon(sorta) more useful for playing or hunting small game than combat. Still, you get what you get....
Throwing knives- Like knives, but smaller and throwable.

And that's about it for all medieval ranged weaponry I know of. There's the blowdart and bola as well, but I don't think they really fit in the 'medieval' thing. On that regard, nether to boomerangs and slings, really...

Those are all great! Thanks. I agree about boomerangs for sure, but I think slings fit well enough. I might add a bit of non-European weapons for variety - shuriken (throwing stars) and chakram (thrown circular blade, from India). Thoughts on that? Also, anyone have opinions on early gunpowder weapons, or should I leave that to other mods?
Ohh, nice. That should help more.

I suppose some non-European weapons would be nice too, though I'm not really sure on what might set them apart. There's only so much verity you can get with the medieval weapons. It has to be sharp, throwable, and preferably lethal. That doesn't really give much leeway in being creative. Though, You can't really call bows, javelins, slings, etc a 'European' weapon since they where used in many other places as well. Other then a few 'creative' ones like bommerangs, chakarms, etc most ranged weapons have more-or-less similar counterparts in quite the many places.
Though personally, I like verity. It allows for a more in-depth character thing and such.

As for gunpowder weapons, maybe cannons or really old-style bombs or something, but not guns. Guns took a while to be refined enough for use, and I feel like they would end up a nether here nor there kind of thing, and possibly take away the use for many other medieval ranged weapons.

mipen

villert

Would love to see a full, total-conversion to medieval style of play. Please keep up the good work!

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: mipen on July 04, 2015, 03:43:43 AM
UPDATE!

5 new ranged weapons: longbow, recurve bow, crossbow, arbalest, and repeating crossbow. Balance feedback, especially on the repeating crossbow, is most welcome!

The textures are amazing!
Quote from: villert on July 06, 2015, 12:03:14 PM
Would love to see a full, total-conversion to medieval style of play. Please keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Jorlem

Quote from: IshOfTheWoods on June 27, 2015, 12:22:58 PM

Quote from: AllenWL on June 27, 2015, 08:52:10 AM
The biggest problem I see with the mechanical power is unstableness.
I can't for the life of me think of how to store mechanical power, and wind in rimworld is rather inconsistent. And if power is lost through distance, it would mean you are limited in where you can make a base due to a need for constant, stable power. Animal power would need animals, and how would we catch them to use? And how to keep them alive and spinning the wheel?
Also, what would happen if two gears from different sources met? What if it splits to different paths?

Good points. That's just an idea I've been toying with in my head. This was for more of a total conversion to medieval times, and you would be required to build powered buildings rather close to power sources. It would definitely need more power sources though, and those could require (possibly substantial) code additions. Definitely a ways down the road, if I do decide to do it.

For power storage, you could have flywheels instead of batteries, with stone ones able to hold more power than ones made of lighter materials such as wood.  For transmission, you could replace wires with belts made of cloth or leather, and switches with gear interlocks.

For power generation, you could do something with the animal domestication that is going to be in the upcoming patch, or add watermills or classic windmills. 

Speaking of animals, here's another idea: trophies.  Perhaps a new bill to the artist table could be added, that would allow "statues" to be made from a corpse that is intact?  I think corpses remember how they died, and possibly who killed them, which could be neat to have in the descriptions.  (Or, if you want to get really morbid or creepy, make them out of the corpses of those who tried and failed to raid your castle.)

Mechanoid Hivemind

The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Ninefinger

«Temple»

For defenses you should add Ballista Bolts, craftable at Smithy, and 2 variants, Wood Tipped and Steel Tipped

AllenWL

So I just realized that no, the parapets don't stop people from walking over it. Well, there goes that base...

ninjabreadman32

Quote from: Hunter00064 on August 08, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
For defenses you should add Ballista Bolts, craftable at Smithy, and 2 variants, Wood Tipped and Steel Tipped

I like this idea. You'd have to make the ballista a little stronger to balance with this, but it's a cool idea. And maybe even Plasteel bolts(explosive even, if you can get it to fit within the lore of the mod); really expensive, but really really strong, to help with mechanoids and the like. 

The13thRonin

Suggestion: Change the factions name to Feudalists?

It's weird to call a pawn a Noble Houser.