[A12d] Ish's Medieval Mods - Update: Alpha 12 and Balance (1 Sep 2015)

Started by IshOfTheWoods, June 24, 2015, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Shadewarp on October 31, 2015, 05:01:57 AM
Going to have to try this :) I have had a burning wish to make a medival kingdom in RimWorld since the begining :)

Enjoy :D And do let me know if you have any ideas, feedback, or complaints!

17shadow

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! I did some editing and managed to remove most of the stuff that don't fit the setting, including the need for electricity, events and modern factions. For people wondering, you can edit the file to remove electicity need for production table, you can play with the generations number of each faction on world generation and you can deactivate most events that doesnt relates.

It gives a way less barebone feeling than in previous alpha, and its pretty satisfying. I'm looking for a mod that add a windmill (or just a production table to produce flour, and connect it straight into a wind generator, the illusion would be fine and i think the wind generator can be tweaked to be made out of wood, gotta look into that thou). My biggest issue now is with the comm console, i cant get it to work while removing electricity requirement (I had RPed it as an altar in a church, and beacon as cross). Removing trading is the only trade off that really affects the experience right IMO.

All of it, i recommend everyone to try it, and if people are interested i could try to upload tweaked file on this tread so people can copy them directly into their directory with a little bit of a pain in the ass. I'm gonna try to selectively fit a little bit more mod in the mix and see if there is a lot of conflict.

Thanks again Ish for the awesome work!

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: 17shadow on November 04, 2015, 05:33:36 PM
It gives a way less barebone feeling than in previous alpha, and its pretty satisfying. I'm looking for a mod that add a windmill (or just a production table to produce flour, and connect it straight into a wind generator, the illusion would be fine and i think the wind generator can be tweaked to be made out of wood, gotta look into that thou). My biggest issue now is with the comm console, i cant get it to work while removing electricity requirement (I had RPed it as an altar in a church, and beacon as cross). Removing trading is the only trade off that really affects the experience right IMO.

Glad you got it working! Yeah, I want a windmill too... and more medieval crops and food. I'm considering "Medieval Feast" as the next addition major addition, overhauling crops and meals.

Have you seen Haplo's Miscellaneous? One of the things it adds is a trader who visits you on the map. Unfortunately it's not stand-alone and comes with other non-medieval stuff, but you could possibly delete the defs for everything else. One of the tasks on my todo list is to get permission to use his code and then create a medieval trader who visits.

All of it, i recommend everyone to try it, and if people are interested i could try to upload tweaked file on this tread so people can copy them directly into their directory with a little bit of a pain in the ass. I'm gonna try to selectively fit a little bit more mod in the mix and see if there is a lot of conflict.

Thanks again Ish for the awesome work!

You are welcome! And for the record, I have absolutely no problem with you uploading a patch or even a modified version on any of my mods here (or other places). I've also designed these mods to cause as little conflicts with others as possible, so mixing in other mods shouldn't be much trouble.

Mr50k

hey ish i love this mod and i myself wanted to do something like it but cannot code. do you plan on making this a total conversion? i myself would totally play rimworld midevil. if i could help you in any way beside coulding i will i know how to draw and would love to see this mod to its fullest.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Mr50k on November 05, 2015, 05:11:51 PM
hey ish i love this mod and i myself wanted to do something like it but cannot code. do you plan on making this a total conversion? i myself would totally play rimworld midevil. if i could help you in any way beside coulding i will i know how to draw and would love to see this mod to its fullest.

I would love for a total conversion to be possible, either from my mods alone, or as a modpack including others' work (like panda's powerless, or skullywag's medieval shields). If you wanna help, ideas, feedback, and texture donations are always welcome. Feedback on the balance of existing content is especially useful, since I haven't had much time to play my mods.

Mr50k

Here is a list of all the mods i am playing with. they are as i know, all compatible

Additonallighting1.2
astrotec trading 1.2
astrotec v3.0
backstoruescore-12.0.0
bionic replacementscrafting 1.2
combatrealism
combatrealism defence
community core library
crash landing
CTS
edbinterface
edbmodorder
edbprepare carefully
embrasures 1.5
esm- minevein
extendedstorage-1.2
flameweapons-1.4
gaussweapons 1.4
glittertech
hospitality
industrialisation
laserweapons1.4
lt_adogsaid
infusion
mannable turrets 1.2.6
marines_SK
Medievalshields 1.4
neurotrainercrafting 1.2.1
plasma weapons 1.4
recycleapparel
rimbeast- suprisingly it worked and even made fort turtle versions of your weapons
medical info
throwing knives
toolsforhaul
training rack 1.0
veinminer
warhammer 40k weapons
weapons crafting 1.41- not tested
workpresets
zombieapocalypse_SK

i have about 2-3 hours of in game play with these mods and they seem to play nice with each other. at least for my experience. i have not tested crossbows with reloading on combat realism and i have to try it sometime

coldarray

I really enjoy your mods. my only suggestion is regarding the ballista which I really like but I find lags behind after the early stages of the game. mostly because of its rate of fire. I think a research option like a "reload lever" to up its rate of fire later on would be nice.

Oh and almost forgot. I think a neat addition to go along side the Ballista would be a Trebuchet. If the ballista is to be the turret then why not have a Trebuchet to be the mortar.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: coldarray on November 09, 2015, 02:16:56 AM
I really enjoy your mods. my only suggestion is regarding the ballista which I really like but I find lags behind after the early stages of the game. mostly because of its rate of fire. I think a research option like a "reload lever" to up its rate of fire later on would be nice.

That's a good idea! I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: coldarray on November 09, 2015, 02:16:56 AM
Oh and almost forgot. I think a neat addition to go along side the Ballista would be a Trebuchet. If the ballista is to be the turret then why not have a Trebuchet to be the mortar.

I'd like to a trebuchet and/or some other catapult. The main thing stopping me is that it would look really strange if it wasn't animated, and I don't trust my ability to animate it.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Mr50k on November 05, 2015, 05:48:26 PM
i have about 2-3 hours of in game play with these mods and they seem to play nice with each other. at least for my experience. i have not tested crossbows with reloading on combat realism and i have to try it sometime

Great! Glad to hear :)

17shadow

So I'm still in the process of tweaking the mod and adding stuff from other mod and testing all that more or less thoroughly. I'm proud to tell you all it's getting better. The last small detail I changed, but that made a huge difference, was to make the parapet impassable. It really helps with the medieval castle feeling i was trying to achieve. The misc and low power mods are also really great additions after some tweak, and right now im testing different aggresiveness setting fro the three selected factions (feudal, norbal and tribal). The problem is that without tweaking, even when generating a vast majority of feudal factions on the map tribal and most importantly norbal aggressions seems to predominate. Problem is, its hard to see the real effect of each change in the game as it takes a lot of time before you got enough raid for one to see a tendency.

I also tweaked the visiting trader to come more often, as they were designed to be a complement to space trading, as well as deactivated some features from the misc mod. If any of you have suggestion of other aspects i could add in the game, please tell me as the more content the better. Also, i consider writing more backstories once tweaking is finished to create more variety. My question is, how do we modify the backstories selected by each factions? it could allow me to reintegrate some spaces events while staying rp (as a chased character can be any spacer factions accepted character, it kinda breaks the simulation to accept them).

Vellexx

I recently bought Rimworld a week ago and I'm not familiar with modding. I read the forum and noticed people wanted the same thing I do, only tribe factions with the noble house. As I changed the FactionDefs to only support tribe generation via changing the "RequiredCountAtGameStart" to 0 to not spawn in any of the more modern factions I come across a problem. When the event that pops in the beginning with a spacer crashing down in an escape pod there is no person and it comes up with an unclosable error about the Spacer Refugee. What else do I need to change to fix this and any other problems similar to this down the road?

17shadow

You must not change the colonist or spacer factions, instead deactivate every events linked to them so they won't spawn (I also advise deactivating ancient building from map generation). For the pirates and other set it to 0. You will need mod for a solid RP experience after that (especially the caravan from misc if i remember well, just deactivate the other part of the mod you dont want). You could also add norbal for more faction variety.

Austupaio

Just want to say that I really enjoy the variety this set of mods adds to Rimworld's variety of factions and mixed-up technologies. I've been making a lot of use of kettle helmets to make up for a lack of kevlar/military helmets.

Some re-balancing might be required though, as it seems that sometimes my iron kettle helmets can actually turn out to be better than kevlar helmets, which is a little odd in a game where gunplay is dominant.

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Austupaio on November 21, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Just want to say that I really enjoy the variety this set of mods adds to Rimworld's variety of factions and mixed-up technologies. I've been making a lot of use of kettle helmets to make up for a lack of kevlar/military helmets.

Some re-balancing might be required though, as it seems that sometimes my iron kettle helmets can actually turn out to be better than kevlar helmets, which is a little odd in a game where gunplay is dominant.

Hmm... In theory the kettle helmets shouldn't be better, but I wonder if I'm not taking quality into account. Kevlar helmets don't have quality, correct? (I haven't had time to play much for the past 2 alphas so do correct me if I'm wrong.) Was it a high-quality kettlehat that was better?

Austupaio

Unfortunately not playing that colony any more and haven't started a new one. I basically just noticed that my kettle-helmets of generally normal/good/superior quality would provide far more protection (10-20%) than my slightly bad to normal military and kevlar helmets. Sorry I didn't take down the actual numbers, that probably would have been more helpful.

While it would make sense for a superior kettle helmet to be better than a poor military helmet, I still think that since most piercing type in the game will be guns rather than primitive weapons, it shouldn't be so much better that colonists will always pick the kettle helmet over other types. I'd say just debug spawn a bunch of helmets and since if the various qualities and armour values make sense to you, if they do, then it's not that big of a deal.