growing secret

Started by Quasarrgames, June 24, 2015, 10:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I'll let you in on a secret:

Plants in dim light (that of heaters, crematoriums, etc.) will grow at night, or at least i think they do. They'll only grow at about a fifth of their normal speed, but still, every little helps. :)

Now i just need to mod me a far-reaching dim lamp for this especially.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Kaballah

Pretty sure you're not really gaining anything here, as plants grow at reduced speed in low light anyway, so instead of a period of full (or better) growth speed and a period of 'resting', you just have a continuous period of low-speed growth.

Jimyoda

I'm largely copying from the wiki since I already posted these observations there. (This is as of Alpha 10, though I just checked that it's still true under Alpha 11).
Here goes:
Plants need at least 50% light to grow. When a plant lacks light its info window indicates 'Needs light level: 50%. As light rises above 50%, plant growth rate begins to rise above 0%. In normal soil, growth rate increases by 2% for every 1% increase in light level beyond 50%. At 100% light, the plant's growth rate finally reaches 100%.
Heaters and such give at most 60% light. Given all that you can calculate, (60%-50%)*2 = 20%; or 1/5 as you said.

However, from hour 19 through hour 5 plants will rest during which time they will not grow regardless of the light level. Since plants rest nearly 50% of any given 24-hour period, plants in normal soil, lit 100%, really get an average growth rate of about 50%. When lit 60% that average drops to 10%.

Therefore, for indoor plants, always use a sun lamp. If not a sun lamp then at least use a regular lamp. It provides 60% lights up to 7 cells away. A heater, smelter, etc, lights 60% only 3 cells away.

What you'd really need is a mod that eliminates plants resting (which I'm pretty sure this is one).
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/