Take the training wheels off of Cold Snap

Started by Kaballah, June 25, 2015, 12:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

The Cold Snap incident appears to have a floor that prevents it from occurring if it's already too cold.  Even if you force it from dev mode, it seems to not actually push temperature lower than whatever the floor is.  I can sort of understand preventing it from occurring naturally (not really) but it would be great if you could still at least force it to occur and make it extremely cold - and possibly make it permanently cold if you're allowed to tweak the incident xml file.  Also possibly add a flag variable in the incident xml file to allow the incident to occur naturally, so users can play with this if they like without somebody having to make binary mods for this.  Thanks!

Kaballah

GamerGuy

YES. I have aways thought about this and its great someone else wants it too.

Axelios

That explains why volcanic winter didn't do beans to my Ice Sheet game.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

RemingtonRyder

Looking at the code for the Cold Snap incident, the storyteller won't actually use it unless the temperature is between 0C and 10C.

It also will only go 20C lower than the seasonal temperature.

Volcanic Winter is a bit different, it can happen regardless of the seasonal temperature, but it only reduces the temperature by 7C at maximum.

e: Fortunately, it looks like Tynan has made it really easy to trigger and add new map conditions, or override existing ones. Fingers crossed, anyway.

e: I've got a test version of a mod for this up in the usual place. :)

Kaballah

MarvinKosh's mod provides a good alternative to the vanilla version - I just had the Cold Snap incident fire when the current temperature was already -55C and I wet my pants a little bit  8)  But I still think the vanilla incidents would be fine with the nanny parameters removed.  It's OK for the most extreme environments to be actually really scary.