How do you build your base?

Started by mokonasakura, June 25, 2015, 11:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokonasakura

Trying to get an idea of how I'm supposed to deal with hordes and mechs. I've tried long hall ways tons of sand bags and no walls at all. The long hallway is great for mechs but doesn't do anything to the horde of tribes people. Sandbags didn't to to much either except take up a huge amount of two days to repair, and well no walls as expected failed hard. Am I supposed to just cut myself off from the outside world completely?

NemesisN

For Mechanoids Mortar and Snipers do the best job

For large group of raiders (tribe people or any large group) you can use mines. You can also use mortar...you can also use turret explosion to kill group of tribe people destroying your turret since they basically meal attack them

Mortar are a great way to defend yourself, Fire Mortar is great against humans and EMP is great against Mechanoids....and regular explosive Mortar is best against both

Explosive mines are great against everyone since you can use Mines to build them near Mechanoid fallen ship so when they get out they blew up and get damaged seriously....and when you get attacked by group of people a mine can take out a lot of them
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

NemesisN

the game is difficult as it is...there is no easy way to defend yourself...but you do have options...and you will always have a challange

unless you use some turret mods or something that enchants your defense then you are pretty much a badass
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

mehguy22

The way I've experienced the game, I'll say that I don't believe in a 'magic bullet' base design to protect you from strong raiders (mechanoids & late game raids). Generally I try to keep the enemy close (out of melee range though 0.o), have a decent amount of turrets to distract them from the colonists, and a mobile 'melee squad' of a few colonists with personal shields and good melee weapons who I'll send out to melee key targets.
You ever heard of Space Vikings? No? Well they're way more badass than stupid space pirates. So much so that we get our name capitalized and they don't.

SSS

I'm currently working on a base that will (hopefully!) be able to handle any type of raid.

For tribals, I would recommend bunkering down temporarily to give said tribals enough time to spread out, then send out all of your colonists to melee each raider one at a time. Five versus one ends pretty quick: You can easily take out double your numbers in this manner before your colonists start feeling the pain themselves. Plus, you're a lot more likely to get incaps rather than deaths with melee, meaning a lower likelihood of colonist death and a higher likelihood of new recruits.

I wouldn't recommend it with normal raids, though. The weakness of tribal ranged weaponry is pretty key for this strategy. A normal raid could cause significant damage to your colonists before they can get close enough.

RIP if you're using a mountain base with one entrance though. :P

Cimanyd

Quote from: SSS on June 25, 2015, 10:46:57 PM
I wouldn't recommend it with normal raids, though. The weakness of tribal ranged weaponry is pretty key for this strategy.

Personal shields can help a lot against ranged weapons, if you're going for melee.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.