How to find plasteel/improve chances of getting it?

Started by LustrousWolf, June 26, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LustrousWolf

I really struggle in Rimworld when plasteel is not visible from the start of the game, I strip mine but normally die before I end up finding a vein. My main methods of getting plasteel is smelting plasteel weapons and disassembling mechanoids but it is hardly ever enough. I need plasteel for bionics and prosthesis (think thats from a mod lol). Is there a trick to finding it that I am missing, or am I just unlucky?

Devon_v

It's randomly distributed. I don't think it's actually guaranteed to be on the map. Traders sell it, mechanoids as you mentioned. If you play with Crash Landing it's possible to deconstruct surviving chunks of the ship. (As of a11 there's a LOT more variety in what comes down with you)

I believe there's a mod that lets you make Synthread, and then has a Synthread/Steel recipe to make Plasteel. It's not a major resource in vanilla since it's just for building the ship to win the game, so vanilla doesn't hand it out like the other resources. Personally I like it rare, bionics shouldn't be standard equipment. :)

Kaballah

Plasteel isn't required in anything in vanilla except for melee weapons, so yes it's coming from a mod.  Playing on large/small hills maps means you will have more rock tiles exposed and plasteel is a bit easier to spot, if that helps at all.  You can also tinker around in dev mode and un-fog the map and re-fog it when you're done peeking.

NemesisN

You can mine it...You can dismantle Mechanoids bodies to get it...and you can buy it from Shop
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

NemesisN

Quote from: Kaballah on June 26, 2015, 03:02:02 PM
Plasteel isn't required in anything in vanilla except for melee weapons, so yes it's coming from a mod.

actually you can use plasteel to build the most powerfull wall with most hitpoints....I use it mainly for my walls
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

keylocke

iirc, plasteel burns unlike stone and uranium (in-game)

Klitri

Quote from: NemesisN on June 26, 2015, 03:04:18 PM
Plasteel isn't required in anything in vanilla except for melee weapons, so yes it's coming from a mod.

actually you can use plasteel to build the most powerfull wall with most hitpoints....I use it mainly for my walls

The keyword in what she said was "required."

NemesisN

The keyword in what she said was "required."

plasteel is required for building a plasteel wall which is the most powerfull wall in RimWorld

so I don't understand what you mean with your comment

MoparGamer

Quote from: LustrousWolf on June 26, 2015, 02:24:50 PM
I really struggle in Rimworld when plasteel is not visible from the start of the game, I strip mine but normally die before I end up finding a vein. My main methods of getting plasteel is smelting plasteel weapons and disassembling mechanoids but it is hardly ever enough. I need plasteel for bionics and prosthesis (think thats from a mod lol). Is there a trick to finding it that I am missing, or am I just unlucky?
As Devon_V said, more mountains = more plasteel (generally).

The way I usually get plasteel is trading. Find a silver making method, then buy/trade for plasteel. It's expensive but the traders have a large supply.

muffins

Quote from: LustrousWolf on June 26, 2015, 02:24:50 PM
Turn on developer mode, click the view options at now appear at the top of the screen, disable "draw fog", suddenly see  where all the plasteel is on the map.

Don't mine stuff while running the game with fog turned off though, or you'll have to "refog" the map.

LustrousWolf

Another question, how many veins of plasteel are there on average per map? Should I stop looking for plasteel after I find the first vein? Or is there more out there? :o

Darmok

If you're using mods that let you make bionic parts from plasteel, chances are the part will be worth more than the plasteel used to make it. Therefore, to easily get more plasteel, save up a little to get enough plasteel to make the first part. Sell it, use the profits to buy even more plasteel. Rinse and repeat. I started doing this on my last colony before they all got wiped out. Was making 2-3k silver on my third batch. If I had more starting capital, it would have been even more. So just do that and get all of the anything you need.

lusername

Quote from: NemesisN on June 27, 2015, 01:14:05 AMplasteel is required for building a plasteel wall which is the most powerfull wall in RimWorld
But they're not the most powerful. They have maybe 10 more hitpoints than a granite wall, but unlike a granite wall, they burn, so their tiny extra hitpoints don't matter because they burn down.

But the best source of plasteel is dead Mechanoids. If you befriend as many human factions as possible, it will shift raiders towards the only remaining hostile factions, meaning Mechanoids. Then you will be regularly raided by mechanoids and can farm their corpses for the tasty plasteel.

NemesisN

It is the most powerful because it has most hitpoints...I think Uranium is close second not Granite

it only has 10% flamability you can still take the fire down with your colonist and it takes a very very very long time for the wall to burn down since its very powerful so you have plenty of time to put the fire out or rain can just fall by that time and turn it out for you

lusername

It has, what, about 10 hitpoints over Granite? In the time it will take for the fighting to end, a colonist to get there, and put out the fire, the wall will have lost more than 10 HP due to the fire. If Uranium has an edge over Granite, it will be an even narrower margin. And if they ever fix uranium, you'll be lucky if you can keep a wall like that from burning to the ground, real uranium is quite flammable!