[Mod support suggestion] Filter thoughts out for custom pawns

Started by isistoy, June 30, 2015, 04:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isistoy

Hello,

This is a technical mod request made as a follow-up, for Mipen's request for help on moods here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13725

In regards to thoughts: it is stated that only human-like intelligence is currently properly accepted by the game, for the colonist faction pawns.

In Project k9, we faced exactly the same concerns.

In my humble opinion, it is possibly also related to the fact that custom pawns might have a hard time, if not impossible time to interact with other faction's things through reservations, particularly those of colonists... Maybe I am completely wrong and it is just me...

For thoughts at least, there could possibly be a simple mechanic involving the pawns ThoughtHandler.
Maybe this object could help filter thoughts out, so that those not allowed (through xml setup) would be ignored.
The ThoughtHandler class is sealed right now, doing it's protecting job quite well.

As said, it could be that it is revealing some other big matter with pawn interactions around things reservations, which really look faction-segmented, right now.
If your pawn is not in the colony faction, then it's reservations capabilities over other factions might become a real show stopper in itself (still stop me there, if you disagree, please!!!!)

I don't pretend to master the game's arcanes, but I have been looking a bit at these mechanics recently and I would particularly like your comments, as well as a good breeze of might, if you faced these in a mod.
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

Lonely Rogue

Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Razvan92

Lonely Rogue

There is no problem. I am just wondering why his/her topic keeps saying it's new with only one post on it.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Shinzy

Quote from: DDawgSierra on June 30, 2015, 05:28:47 PM
There is no problem. I am just wondering why his/her topic keeps saying it's new with only one post on it.
happens sometimes, I very often get some new refreshing sticklers of a topics in my 'Show unread posts since last visit'
it is annoying but really really doesn't call for that! =P tis' not dark magic! don't burn the witch!
*usually it's all the edits, that do that by the way!

Lonely Rogue

I was just getting frustrated because I read this while Rimworld plays in the background, and this was messing up my day.
Any mod requests?

isistoy

Woww and you don't give a damn idea for the topic itself!
You visibility addict!
If you are angry against forum mechanics, ask some moderator for help, but don't post your concerns here!

isistoy

Just to update the topic for Thoughts: we are investigating with traits in backstories, to try and exclude thoughts we don't want for dogs.

Lonely Rogue

Any mod requests?

isistoy

Another update here: we just managed to get rid of thoughts we were not happy with, with the help of character traits, creating a new one for our needs.
Only one thing: the game warns you at the start that it has TraitDef with commonality = 0.
I can live with it anyway, but still, we would be glad to discuss possible other ways to do it.

Axelios

Sounds clever. So would that let you give a pawn a custom trait, like "K9" and filter out large groups of unwanted thoughts using it?
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

isistoy

Exactly. it works pretty well, apart from the warning we get at the start of the game.

I forgot my basics: this is mrofa's smart idea, who greatly contribute to K9, as well as Abrexus at the moment!