Mech suits

Started by Knudsen, October 06, 2013, 09:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murlocdummy

Quote from: Finjinimo on October 09, 2013, 11:41:09 PM
As an enemy like a mega-beast type, they could be interesting (especially when accompanied by raiders).

As something you might be able to capture at great cost and possibly then repurpose, that also could be interesting especially with the sense of accomplishment that entails. If Rimworld were to have something like this, I hope that they are incredibly unreliable and hard to maintain -- but cause a hella lot of fear.

As something you can build yourself, I don't really like it. I think it detracts too much from the fragility of the colonists. Life should be hard and cheap for these guys.

I think that this and other events like it should be part of the standard Cassandra storyline.  In the event that an automated narrative generator is implemented, I'd want most long-lasting colonies to have on one of their major accomplishments: 

"Day xxx.  Today, the Bandit King finally had enough of our 'impudence' and sent his finest bandit squadron to the simple farming community of TOWN.  They were equipped with the most advanced lasers and the most impenetrable armor this side of the galaxy.  They even utilized the Bandit King's personal mech suit, the Reynolds Ranger.  I swear, those missiles were as big as I am, but we eventually took it down with a well-aimed shot into its armor plating.  Okay, so it was more like 600.  What's important is that we captured the Bandit King's most powerful weapon, won that battle, and maybe even the war.
P.S.  We now have a new fountain centerpiece in TOWN's central square."

And yes, I name my colony TOWN.

mumblemumble

I think before outright mech suits, armor would be more appropriate...perhaps coupled with higher damage across the board on guns, so UN-armored guys would go down easier, while armored guys could take a bit more punishment.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

IncRaven

I'm adding my vote to this as well (as long as the enemies get them really close to end game)

armaldofan10

(keep in mind i am copy/pasting this from my post on the steam ideas thread)
ROBOTS! why not have "Robot Bays" or something similar. these could hold the most basic of robots (ones that put out fires) to defences bots, to medical robots to builders. these would take ALOT of energy, and it would not be wise to have more than, say, 3. they have batteries in them that will get low. they will automatically go back to a robotics bay to recharge, which should take a lot time for the larger ones with larger batteries (defence ones) and short ammount of times for the simple repair drones. if they run out of batteries before they get back to the bay, they just lay there on the map until a colonist hauls them back to the robot bay.

Bodog999

I would like to see mechs in the game cuz it is a westers SCI-FI! game.

Kirktheturk

If Mech Suits are to be added than for balancing they should have to be bought in separate pieces from a traveling salesman and would need to be very expensive.

daft73

The idea of a steampunk kind of suit may work. Though like many others the idea of a mech seems a bit of a stretch for the Rimworld universe.
I suppose if I were to design it: 1.Slow, 2.Explodes causing death to pilot and AoE damage to those near, 3.mountable weaponry(interchangeable), 4.Buildable, but costly and time consuming(think wonders from the civilization series), 5. colonists inspired(bonus of some sort whilst within certain proximity)..the same as the AoE damage proximity.

So yes it can be beast, or wreck your colonists. ;D

Flebe

I think Mechs are a great idea but instead of imagining theses massive walking tanks (well maybe in the endgame captured from a Pirate king) but more of a durable exo-skeleton used for mining and haling and battle. For example the mining one could not really limit the speed of the colonist wearing it but mean they have a much more powerful drill. A hauling one could be able to pick up 2-4 stacks of items (could have to research strength to improve the load) and be able to either move 1 really fast or lots but at a slower speed. The Combat one could just have a bit of shielding and better accuracy for the driver for that little bit more help in a fight. Obviously they would need power and need to be plugged into a charging station and always need driver to work but then it would stick with the western theme but just upgrade the people in it. So not going from man to tank more like man to man who is a bit stronger by machine. I think that i would work very well and really help colonists but at the cost of it taking up a lot of time on the Tech tree making it an item thats not to OP but still something useful.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

a89a89

I think it should not be a mech, but a exo-skeleton for combat and mining. The combat one could move faster or have armour depending on what model, increase melee damage, increase accuracy, lower shooting time, take less damage depending on model, and come with a preinstalled gun that could be inter switched. For the mining one it could mine faster, carrie a stack or two of items, not be terrified of darkness ( it wold have a head lamp) and a interchangeable drill.

SPAZZx7

Quote from: Semmy on October 09, 2013, 12:48:44 PM
altough ive been a big mechwarrior fan for a decade or 2 i cant seem to find joy in encountering them in this game.

They feel way to high tech for rimworld and way to expensive.

Rimworld isn't about joy, it's about overcoming the world that seeks to kill you, survival, and death. Personally I would be more interested in a rogue military mech bashing down my gates and being forced to overcome the most frightening beast imaginable than controlling wretched thing. Mech would probably exist in this universe, please don't restrict the possibilities in random events just because you don't think it fits. I've been reading a lot of "I don't think it fits the world" latly but all I'm hearing is "Let's limit it's potential because it's not what I vision" please let the world be what it chooses to be. I don't support controlling mechs, until it's late game at least, but don't use ;the colony as an excuse to not have them at all.

TimMartland

I would like to see mech suits in the game. Maybe give the lower 'level' ones (The first you try build, or get from raiders if your lucky enough to kill the driver without blowing up the mech) could look fairly jury-rigged and might break down and have a limited range of things they can carry. Better and more improved ones can be teched or bought. I think they should resemble the mechs from Avatar, Aliens and NS2 (Big, bipedal, exposed driver or shielded control unit, hands or moddable arms form customising by giving them MGs, drills, welders ect.)
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman