[Mod Support Request] Possible to change LinkFlag to a string value?

Started by mipen, July 01, 2015, 02:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mipen

I'm not sure how it would affect the drawing code for linked things, but I would make it much easier to have many different things that are linked together without being limited by the small number of options available inside the enum

Vas

Yea, I dislike that there is only a tiny amount of link flags.  My hydroponics uses it, so if someone else chooses the same link flag, then their stuff will cause a weird connection issue.  Would be nice to have the ability to select anything between -2,147,483,647 and 2,147,483,647 for link flags.  Would give us plenty of room to select a random number that no one else will accidentally select.  :P

<linkFlags>
   <li>-698052</li>
   <li>-793093</li>
   <li>297</li>
   <li>9988776655</li>
</linkFlags>

I assume this is what you were asking for, yes?
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

skullywag

I like the idea but the number thing....no, we'll end up like minecraft forge were a while back, managing a list of IDs. Id much rather it be the defnames of the other things you are linking to, they have to be a "thing" right.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

mipen

Or just something like a string, like:
<linkFlags>
<li>"MyCustomLink1"</li>
or even <li>"Mary poppins used an umbrella to fly"</li>

This would make it very easy to make certain it is always unique, especially if you used a special prefix or suffix

skullywag

Yeah thatll work but as you can only link to a thing and it must have a def and defnames are unique...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vas

I guess custom words would do better.  :P  Didn't think about that.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.