Trap idea - Exposed Electric Cables.

Started by A Friend, July 01, 2015, 09:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend

Lines of cables without insulation (or something) being used as an electric-based trap where it zaps oblivious fools stepping on it.
I don't really know how electricity works. So I can't make a proper suggestion of how the trap would work.

Help me out here.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

kaptain_kavern

Love the idea man. And it fit well in existing gameplay/trap system imho

SteelHeart

This should probably apply burn damage to the legs and stun the pawn. It should act as a conduit for obvious reasons.

Lonely Rogue

the trap would not work because you would be grounded if you were wearing shoes and because they're not a gear we assume everyone is wearing shoes. There are other problems with it, but typing takes forever on my phone.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

keylocke

"commander! they are attacking us!!"

"arm the tesla coils!!"

*vvrrrrrrtttttt!!!*

"sir, the enemy are wearing rubber boots!"

"hoist by my own petard!! those coils!! it does nothing!!"

Lonely Rogue

Lol, pretty much. It might have a *small* chance, such as if they slipped or were knocked down, but have it be an instability or down.but then you could just make a field of exposed cables and clean up the mess. Maybe every hit takes 1000 wd, and every step 100? Just for balance.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Axelios

As an Electrical Engineer, I can confirm that you can get horribly shock by the voltage difference between your feet.

If one foot is on the ground and zero voltage, and the other foot steps on the exposed high voltage cable, you get zapped my friend.

Interestingly, if there is a high voltage point in the dirt, the voltage actually radiates out, dropping in magnitude with distance.
If there wasn't proper safety measures in place you could get zapped just approaching the cable due to having your feet at different voltage levels on the dirt.

In this image, you can see how this man can get shocked as he steps away from a high voltage point in the ground.

In this image, you can see how the substation is all the same voltage level, (thanks to a buried mesh of conductors usually), but that voltage level drops as you go further away from the outside of the substation. The voltage between your feet (step voltage) isn't going to dangerous though unless you are very close to the substation, because the slope of the voltage is quite steep there, so you get a big voltage difference.

Any questions?
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Kaballah

I think this would be hilarious, especially if there was graphical FX like this:

Tynan

I love the idea. My main concern would be that it would be a totally OP way to capture enemies unharmed.

Though I think there are probably ways to balance it out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on July 06, 2015, 01:24:55 AM
I love the idea. My main concern would be that it would be a totally OP way to capture enemies unharmed.

Though I think there are probably ways to balance it out.

It drains your entire cache of batteries after one use. That'll balance it :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Drahkon

Maybe keep the power level low, small chance of moderate stun, but very low damage plus a little pain and unlikely to disable. Help break up and reduce the surge of damage done by big raid groups. Perhaps draining shields a bit as well. Decide on power usage after some testing. Maybe a chance to stun turrets placed too close. =P