[MOD] (Alpha 10) Thermoelectric Generator (v1.2) - Embrace the Heat and Cold!

Started by theubie, May 03, 2015, 10:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theubie

Yeah, tweaking went too far the other way on this one.  New version out probably tomorrow.  Mostly tweaking at this point, as it's working correctly, just needs to be dialed in.

theubie

Quote from: xort on May 05, 2015, 05:20:45 PM
I think your new non world changing version is a bit out of balance and dumps far too much heat. With a single TEG 7 heaters can't raise the temp past -14C when the outside is -30C.

3 Heaters is enough without the TEG to keep the temp at 21C.

Also the power output on a 15 degree difference is 17W.

Running from 51C to -30C I'm getting 75W at 86% efficient using 2 heaters running at 100W.

Yeah, I tweaked the numbers again.  Feel comfortable with where they are now.  Let me know what you think.  New version uploaded.

xort

Gave it a shot, and I think your still a bit on the low side for output/cost.

A wind turbine at it's lowest output seems to make 250W+ and about 1600W at half wind speed and 3000W at max.

The TEG with a range between 60C and -82C is putting out 203W.

Both cost 100 steel to make, and the TEG drains your temperature away.

I was however able to get 4 TEGs running off 3 heaters, making 150-200W each. Given 800W output to a -80C outside for the cost of 595 steel (4 TEG, 3 Heaters)

~

From my tests output caps at about 200W however you can build many of them in parallel as they don't seem to drain that much heat as before. They are net positive even when you run a cooler/heater setup from what I can tell.

However for reference a standing lamp draws 150W. For the cost it's wildly better to build a wind turbine and a battery.

Using 14 TEG in two stages, I was able to get a net of 1000W with an outside temp of -80C.
By two stages I mean a hot room, with 7 TEGs that go to a 1x7 room that has 7 more TEGs that lead to outside.

I'm not sure if this will hold with a higher temp and the heaters keeping the first room warmer. In theory it should.

However that was 4 heaters and 14 TEG, with a steel cost of 1600+.

That's 10 wind turbines that have 12 batteries hooked up, which will make 2000W to 30,000 W and 12,000 WD of stored power.

I like the total power generated number that shows, however my programming heart wonders how much memory/ what variable type that number is stored with/as.

theubie

Quote from: xort on May 06, 2015, 08:12:42 PM
Gave it a shot, and I think your still a bit on the low side for output/cost.

A wind turbine at it's lowest output seems to make 250W+ and about 1600W at half wind speed and 3000W at max.

The TEG with a range between 60C and -82C is putting out 203W.

Both cost 100 steel to make, and the TEG drains your temperature away.

I was however able to get 4 TEGs running off 3 heaters, making 150-200W each. Given 800W output to a -80C outside for the cost of 595 steel (4 TEG, 3 Heaters)

~

From my tests output caps at about 200W however you can build many of them in parallel as they don't seem to drain that much heat as before. They are net positive even when you run a cooler/heater setup from what I can tell.

However for reference a standing lamp draws 150W. For the cost it's wildly better to build a wind turbine and a battery.

Using 14 TEG in two stages, I was able to get a net of 1000W with an outside temp of -80C.
By two stages I mean a hot room, with 7 TEGs that go to a 1x7 room that has 7 more TEGs that lead to outside.

I'm not sure if this will hold with a higher temp and the heaters keeping the first room warmer. In theory it should.

However that was 4 heaters and 14 TEG, with a steel cost of 1600+.

That's 10 wind turbines that have 12 batteries hooked up, which will make 2000W to 30,000 W and 12,000 WD of stored power.

I like the total power generated number that shows, however my programming heart wonders how much memory/ what variable type that number is stored with/as.

I didn't envision the TEG being used for full base power, but rather a way to gain some extra power from heat exchanging.  Having said that I also agree that the output might be better a bit higher.

Total power generated is just a standard float rounded for pretty display.  Shouldn't be much of a memory hog.  It was added because I was considering making TEGs burn out and lose efficiency as they age.  Not sure I'm going to use that mechanic, though.  Might implement it in a total conversion later and make it apply to all generators.

LittleGreenStone

How much power would it generate, let's say, there's 95°C in one room and -30°C in the other?
Does it generate power based on the temperature difference?

theubie

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 07, 2015, 09:51:12 AM
How much power would it generate, let's say, there's 95�C in one room and -30�C in the other?
Does it generate power based on the temperature difference?

It would generate a little less than 250W of power at that difference in temperatures.  The amount of energy produced depends on the difference in heat.  However there is a point where the difference in heat is too much for the generator to efficiently process and it started producing less energy per degree of difference.

Evolvarium

This is the format I use. I put the generators around one vented square then funnel all the exhaust from my  coolers and steam vents into the outer section of the room. It takes a jump start of power from solar or wind turbines but after that this setup plus geothermal generators gives me all the power I need.

christianmc1101

Mein Lieblingswort: My favorite word:
Bundespräsidentenstichwahlwiederholungsverschiebung