[A13] Drier Boreal Forests biome

Started by Kaballah, July 01, 2015, 08:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

UPDATED FOR ALPHA 13

After loading tons of Boreal Forest maps and discarding because they had a gigantic mud flat right where I wanted to build, it occurred to me that there shouldn't really be great big fields of brown mud in what is supposed to be a high altitude (often mountainous), very cold region.  Here's a very simple mod that reduces the proportion of marsh in terrain patches.  You can still get quite large patches of land that can't be built on but they won't be a giant bog, they'll be mostly water tiles.

Download A13 Drier Boreal Forests

Sample patches:

* This mod has been updated to A13, enjoy

Update: I had accidentally included more biome defs than just Boreal Forest (Tundra, Ice Sheet) which can cause problems with other mods that alter those biomes e.g. MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Biomes mod.  Please re-download at the link above, thanks.

RemingtonRyder

Cool. :)

Um, I added []s to your title because it's the way mod titles have to be formatted now, btw.

Delekhan

I always thought the Boreal biome resembled a tundra swamp more than a Boreal Forest.

kaptain_kavern

Nice and usefull little mod. Thx.
Also i've add it to my [A11]modlist

Tynan

Hey man, I know boreal forests. This is the one biome I've actually spent a lot of time outdoors in (well, this and temperate forests)! And there's a lot of mud. At least around Ontario, big reed-filled mud pits aren't uncommon. We used to jump into them as kids; they'll swallow you up to the neck (or more if you want to drown..).

That said it's a video game so if you don't like them go ahead and remove them :).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kaballah

In flatter areas, sure!  It just seemed excessive when looking at high elevation maps up on mountain slopes to have such large expanses of marsh terrain.  Maybe if the terrain engine was a little more aware of elevation/slope and automatically adjusted the proportion of mud flats?

Tynan

Quote from: Kaballah on July 02, 2015, 02:53:48 PM
In flatter areas, sure!  It just seemed excessive when looking at high elevation maps up on mountain slopes to have such large expanses of marsh terrain.  Maybe if the terrain engine was a little more aware of elevation/slope and automatically adjusted the proportion of mud flats?

You're totally right about the lowlands/highlands thing.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Pheanox

Is there a way to edit this so the temperature is more temperate?  I didn't see anything about temperature in the def file.  I've lived in the Pacific Northwest most my life where there are temperate coniferous forests and thought it would be cool to have a bit of that biome mixed in to the game.

Kaballah

Biome is assigned (as far as I can tell) based on a tile's temperature range and precipitation, which are assigned before the actual biome definitions are applied.  Tinkering with temperature involves either a custom map condition - look at MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Pack for example - or by overriding the game's map generation code, which is way outside of what I know how to do.

e: This tests OK with A11b, updated thread title

Kaballah

Updated to Alpha 12d, see OP for new download link.  Enjoy!

Kaballah

Kaballah

I had accidentally included more biome defs than just Boreal Forest (Tundra, Ice Sheet) which can cause problems with other mods that alter those biomes e.g. MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Biomes mod.  Please re-download at the link in the OP, thanks.