Steam workshop discussion

Started by Jaxxa, July 01, 2015, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

By now you have all probably read the announcement of the steam release and workshop integration.
http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/

What does everyone else think about it?
I know with the Skyrim mods for a lot of people the Steam Workshop never really replaced the Nexus.

But Rimworld mainly is just using the forums to support and find mods which isn't ideal, leading to treads and lists and of mods (greate work to those guys), but that just puts the pressure all on one person to keep it updated.

I think that because of this reason the workshop has the potential to become the primary place to find and download mods for Rimworld.

The only issues that I can think of is getting mods for the DRM free version and dealing with the ordering in the mod management screen.
I have an idea to fix the mod manager here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14239.0

Effect do you think that Workshop and official release will have on mods?

Viperlol

Honestly i think workshop will cause a fair few issues with people simply taking a mod from someone and re labeling it as can be seen in other games on the workshop. As-well as effectively killing the modding sections of this forum. Despite that though, it would make the distribution of mods easier, but also bringing in some of the issues that steam workshop has when it comes to not downloading or updating mods subscribed too.
When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

Jaxxa

That is a good point, If it is automatically updating everyone's mods then each time an update is released that will break a save it will automatically stop everyone's game rather than giving them option wait until they want to start a new game.

skullywag

My mods will always be available from github at least. I do all my dev work with a proper repo behind it so its no extra work for me to bundle a new release on github when im don deving for the day. The moment there is even a whiff of people doing the rebadging thingy it will back up my fears that the steam workshop is a convenient but somewhat shitty thing.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Helixien

No, just no. I would prefer shooting myself in my own leg before I would touch the Workshop. Why? Because Steam has still no idea what they are doing with it! (Shown by paid Skyrim mods where the maker only got 25% of the money). But more important, the Workshop is most of the time overrun by idiots, morons, people who cant or wont read, people who can and do read, but still decide to ignore it and people who just have no idea and flame or downvote your mods for fun.

BUT that isnt the main problem. I quite often balance mods I download myself so Steam re-downloading them when the author releases an update is a no go. And as it is shown by the nexus already, many people dont even bother telling you which version of RimWorld the mod works with!

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 01, 2015, 08:17:01 PM
I know with the Skyrim mods for a lot of people the Steam Workshop never really replaced the Nexus.

Of course it hasnt! Because the workshop is a mess!

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 01, 2015, 08:17:01 PM
I think that because of this reason the workshop has the potential to become the primary place to find and download mods for Rimworld.

Never. Let. That. Happen. Go to the nexus, upload your mods there stay with the forum mod page! It works quite good so far!

NoImageAvailable

I will never use the Workshop for my mods, because:

1) It runs through Steam malware with all the massive disadvantages that brings.
2) It automatically updates mods, breaking save games and user-made adjustments in the process.
3) Sometimes it doesn't want to work and you are left with no option for a manual install, since it is entirely dependent on the malware.

He who trades manual control of installations for the promise of convenience deserves neither.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

RemingtonRyder

RimWorld will use mods whether they're from the Workshop or not. If you do not want to not update a particular mod, it's as simple as navigating to your mods folder and wiping one file in the About folder for the particular mod. Then it will be treated as though it is not a Workshop file. Well, in theory. The RimWorld Workshop isn't open to mods at the moment.

Basically, the process by which a game refreshes its own mod list is entirely dependant on the game's developer. Skyrim, for example, does auto-update mods when you use the launcher. Just because Steam auto-downloads new versions of mods though, doesn't mean a game has to use the newest version.

NoImageAvailable

That seems like an awfully complicated and involved process for something that can be achieved by just not using the Workshop.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

carlgraves

Cases like Cities skylines make me think the steam workshop can work. Workshop tends to work well for smaller compartmentalized mods; things like gun mods, faction mods, biome mods, storyteller mods etc. Generally anything that's an additive mod. But, huge gameplay overhauls are gonna stomp all over each other and break everything as the chances of a player using only 1 mod in a workshop setting is pretty low.

So, obviously there's going to be problems with some jackass downloading 120 mods and wondering why their game keeps crashing or claiming X mod doesn't work. But fuck that guy.

I'm all for Steam workshop support. I doubt workshop will ruin the game or at the least my game. If anything it will generally improve the modding environment; making distribution and integration a little easier for the end user.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on July 02, 2015, 03:14:26 PM
That seems like an awfully complicated and involved process for something that can be achieved by just not using the Workshop.

Well, yeah. The way I figure though, people who prefer the Workshop are going to use that above anything else. For people who don't mind a bit of manual installation for a bit more sanity, I can point them at the Dropbox links or the Nexus.

SuppleZombieKitten

I love steam workshop for the ease of mod management. Unfortunately I have bought the game a month to late therefore my questions.

How will steam workshop functionality be adjusted for those who bought the game to late to get the steam-key? Will you run additional servers that copy all workshop content and provide for those players? Is there other way (ie. adding as non steam game) to get access to workshop mods?

Personally I have never used the Workshop and turn Steam off when it's not actively being used simply because it has the annoying habit of updating when it's told not to.  Steam itself seems to spend more time updating itself than anything else it does.

My release medium of choice is either Nexus (for Elderscrolls/Fallout) or the games forum.  Somethings I may use github (CCL) but that's it about it.

Mods I plan on altering I to do "post patches" for, unless I need to change something fundamental about the mod itself, so that a mod update doesn't undo my changes.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.