After Rimworld... your next game

Started by sully9088, July 02, 2015, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sully9088

So I'm assuming you may want to start making another game once this one is complete.  I have a suggestion.  Can you make a game that is based on this game, but you are able to take your survivors and leave the planet?  I know you can do that in this game, but that's where the story ends.  It would be cool to continue the story.  It would be cool to manage a ship in space with the same mechanics in Rimworld.  It would also be cool to explore alien worlds and maybe go to space stations with your crew.  Maybe implement a bartering or trading mechanic.  Space battles like FTL.  Now that I survived in Rimworld and grew attached to my crew; its sad to see them fly off into the great beyond without me.  I want to go on adventures with them.

Jimyoda

I too hope that someday there will be some sort of sequel where rather than crash landing on a rimworld you're working in a highly advanced civilization with marvelous technology only teased at by glitterwold medicine and by the game lore. Hmm, so what would you call such a game? ....GlitterWorld. Uhh, never mind, that just does NOT sound right.

There is alot of space (pun intended) to expand on in the Rimworld universe to use as a setting in another game. Such a game should have what Rimworld fans have only dreamed of - multiplayer gameplay.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Cimanyd

Here's what Tynan says Rimworld II will be:

Quote from: /u/TynanSylvester
I was thinking a walking simulator. You wander around abandoned colonies.

Wow, I started writing that as a joke and it started to sound really cool...
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

skullywag

I really would like any new game to be in this universe, i feel it has the depth. Dont really care what game it is though.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

Dwarf Fortress has an adventure mode.  So maybe something like that. 

Though I really like to see FTL meets Rimworld.

Cdr.Keen

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 02, 2015, 12:35:23 PM
Dwarf Fortress has an adventure mode.  So maybe something like that. 

Though I really like to see FTL meets Rimworld.

thats what i thought too. you leave the planet, play like ftl, get shoot by someone and crash again :)
be water my friend!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Cimanyd on July 02, 2015, 11:43:08 AM

That actually sounds kinda interesting: a Rimworld rogue-like where you explore abandoned colonies filled with deadly killboxes, raiders and insane squirrels.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

JimmyAgnt007

Maybe more like Space Hulk where you crash into a collection of other ships around some sort of anomaly.  You have your ship but adventure into the twisting random corridors of other ships that have crashed.  Lots of room for crazy locals and monsters to make life difficult.  Though real aliens would be nice too.

mc858

no offence guys but you guys are describing city builders - this is a survival sim

if you want FTL then play FTL after a rimworld game lol

plus its only one dev - i doubt he is even planning that far ahead- he justs wants to finish this gem

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 02, 2015, 01:38:36 PM
Maybe more like Space Hulk where you crash into a collection of other ships around some sort of anomaly.  You have your ship but adventure into the twisting random corridors of other ships that have crashed.  Lots of room for crazy locals and monsters to make life difficult.  Though real aliens would be nice too.

The more I think about it the more I'd like to actually see a game like that.

It could reuse a lot of the in-depth simulation of Rimworld, with the focus being on survival. You'd be constantly scavenging for food and medkits while also needing safe resting spots to sleep and manage your joy to keep sane and healthy. Maybe even expand on the medical system with infections requiring antibiotics, rubbing alcohol to clean wounds and reduce chance of infection, bandages to stop bleeding, etc. The goal would be to find an intact emergency escape pod to evacuate to the Rimworld below.

Edit: Or maybe if the hulk is caused by some kind of anomaly the goal is to make it to the center and find it. Could be some kind of void god or advanced piece of technology. Lots of room for mystery!
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

bigfuzzy

I'd love to see something like this based in fantasy setting.   Maybe the survivors from THIS version, go through some sort of wormhole where everything is different. Physics are different. There is magic. Different sentient races.. etc.   Still would have that "survivor game" element, just with different context/color/story.

Or maybe put it in the context of colonization. You're sent to the "New World" with very little to set up a colony.  Later you can decide on whether you wish to fight for your independence!

Also, have to second the idea of this as a multiplayer game.  I rarely play MP, and am not one of those "must have MP!!!" people in general, but I think I'd love it here and might actually play it.

Gralad

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on July 02, 2015, 01:37:10 PM
Quote from: Cimanyd on July 02, 2015, 11:43:08 AM

That actually sounds kinda interesting: a Rimworld rogue-like where you explore abandoned colonies filled with deadly killboxes, raiders and insane squirrels.

i actually would like the option to start a "raiders life" where after you se up your base you then can designate raidingpartys and attack other colonies the way they hassled you all the time.

Quasarrgames

Oh! I had an idea for this a while back that i posted...

Quote from: Quasarrgames on April 25, 2015, 02:32:08 PM
I know it's a little early to talk about this, but still, i think that it might be fun to think about what could come next in the far future.

JUST BRAINSTORMING

It's clear that a lot of thought has gone into the rimworld universe, especially around the whole lightspeed space travel and the societal shifts that occur based on this. Thus, perhaps this universe should be used again in another game.
I have an idea for a relativistic space empire game. A little like sins of a solar empire, but with a little twist:

maybe, to keep with the lightspeed diversity of the rimworld universe, different star systems would be percieved in different times.
let me explain:
so, you start a colony on a planet that's two light years away from your home planet. when you mouse over and look at that planet, you see the planet as it was two years ago. So, your colony ship arrives at the planet two years in the future, but you don't see it arrive until 4 years in the future. This proves to be an interesting logistics problem/puzzle, since over the course of two years a war or could take place that decimates the planet. So, you'd have to take the necessary precautions to prevent a war from happening.

a space battle over a tropical planet (Scroll right) yes, i know, it's not great, but it's the bes i can do with my limited photoshop knowledge

There would also be lots of stuff to do, like ship customization (as in, you could actually build your ships, not just select what cargo and weapons they have) a very large, procedurally generated galaxy to explore and colonize, and some very strange xenohumans to interact with. You could become a fierce warmongering or peaceful trading race, or research your society into transcendence, or conduct social and genetic experiments on your population.

What do you think of this idea?
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

DarkNacht

I think one of the most interesting things that could be explored in the next game is to simply move up one step in social development to a world with a primitive feudal(or feudal-like) system.

keylocke

i would like to see a rimworld with z-levels, pvp/co-op multiplayer, more RTS-type battle controls, etc.. like black & white games but more focused on combat, production, and survival, instead of conquest through "beautification" and taking care of your giant "pet"..

i think my ideal game would be a hybrid between rimworld + black&white + starcraft

but right now i'm looking at games like folk tale, stonehearth, craft the world, etc..

i'm also searching for colony games with large RTS battles.

edit : oh yea, my most favourite RTS battle system would probably from the total war series.. those battles totally kickass.

as for stonehearth, i'm waiting first until they get to the point in their alpha where i get to fight titans.. (so i can "shingeki no kyojin" the heck out of it, making tall white circle walls, etc..)