Are frag grenades... op?

Started by Quasarrgames, July 02, 2015, 11:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I don't know myself. But based on their stats, they do seem pretty powerful. They reload relatively quickly, do immense amounts of damage to colonists, but most of all, they are the only explosive weapon that does not have a one time use and can be used an infinite amount of times. But nobody's said anything about them in the past, so i don't know.

Do you think they're op, or just right?  :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

skullywag

until we can have secondary equipment, unlimited firing is really the only way to go,making grenades one time use...ive tried it...its not workable, too much microing and removing guys from the field to go restock. If we could hold multiple but they still be one use it might work better, but secondary equipment slot seems to be the most reasonable imo, a little gui to switch equipped weapon (secondary would be player use only?).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

A Friend

- The short range, explosion delay and pretty unpredictable land zone makes me really not want to use them.

- Your enemies are pretty quick moving so you have to accurately guess throw in advance especially when dealing against melees.

- My colonists also often draw much unwanted attention when I try to get them in throwing range.

+ But damn... when they do hit a bunch of clumped up raiders... hell yea.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

JesterBlue

Grenade is necessary to be powerful because the amount of problem you have to deal with late game, some 'trick' need to deployed instead of flat out combat.

On the enemy hands however, esp the guys who just randomly landed in your house and toss things around, I say add a chance to dud will help morale a lot. I can melee him, but still...

b0rsuk

Grenades are powerful, but easy to dodge. You can order a colonist to move away even after the grenade has been thrown.

Quote from: JesterBlue on July 24, 2015, 05:55:54 AM
Grenade is necessary to be powerful because the amount of problem you have to deal with late game, some 'trick' need to deployed instead of flat out combat.

You are like a man who fires gunshots at the barn, then paints a target around the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

Elixiar

This term, 'OP'.

It is thrown (pardon me) around far too much.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

MarcTheMerc

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 24, 2015, 11:15:41 AM
Grenades are powerful, but easy to dodge. You can order a colonist to move away even after the grenade has been thrown.

You are like a man who fires gunshots at the barn, then paints a target around the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

I think you found a signature.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

zandadoum

you wanna know what's op? a triple rocket launcher with the same range than a sniper rifle and only little slower aiming/shooting required.

keylocke

the only use i've had for grenades on a raid is when force-firing them near a chokepoint. i usually do a molotov + frag duo.

but they're a bit too situational. usually not even worth the effort since they often get rushed by melee.

they might be good against sappers though, since those guys tend to bunch together. give your grenadiers a shield, then unequip the shield when you get them in range, lob a few boom-booms then re-equip the shield when done then skedaddle. rinse and repeat.

edit : oh wait.. equip a melee fighter with a power claw, THEN equip him with a grenade. (don't use a brawler though, i think they hate thrown weapons too).. so when you want him to throw a grenade, drop the shield first, then just pick it back again when you need it..

i wish there was a button to turn shields on/off..

RemingtonRyder

If frag grenades are OP (I agree, a bit overused) then so are molotov cocktails. Being able to quickly create lots of fire can make entire rooms very hot very quickly. But also, if a pawn is unlucky enough to wander into fire or get caught in the initial blast, the running about flailing to get the fire off is often more fatal than the actual burning.

Thing is, if you can catch a sapper in close quarters then you can wail on him all you like without worrying about getting burned, since he is unable to aim his weapon. A lot of fights seem to end up with me taking down ranged opponents with fists because that's what is available on short notice.

b0rsuk

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on July 24, 2015, 04:23:25 PM

I think you found a signature.
[/quote]

Not really, that's just the description of Texas Sharpshooter fallacy.

I've tried using handgrenades for explosive mining, but to my dismay you get less than 35 steel per tile. Often as low as 25.

Grenades use Blunt damage resistance, correct ? There's very little that protects against that. But wait a second!!! Do human fists also inflict blunt damage ? This might explain why my armor-wearing brawlers are getting owned and kidnapped by people using fists.