Suggestions wanted: Animals!

Started by Tynan, July 03, 2015, 02:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I'm looking for animal ideas! Here's some I have so far.

• Capybara
  • Brown bear
  • Polar bear
  • White Stag (specify)
  • Tunnel worms: Can tunnel through walls (perhaps damaging the wall, perhaps not). They appear at the deepest points in the colony, in mountain maps only. They appear with a worm hive, which slowly spawns additional worms. They defend their hive.
Got one that's straightforward but interesting? Please contribute. Bonus points if it ties in with existing systems. Simple animals without exotic behaviors are also good.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shinzy

well Tarsiers and Quokkas may be too similar to Capybara (small and brown and probably very squeaky aswell)

Frogs and toads the highly trippy ones! can add licking them as joy activity, too, then *winkwink*

Zebrahs mules donkeys horseys or any other similar pack animal

Elephants ;D (ivory! art!)

Geckoes

and beach crabs!

i'd say any kind of bird aswell but I don't know how they'd work
have them swoop in the map and eat your crops I guess *shrug*
and I don't know if feathers would be of any use either, except for breaking ticklish prisoners

and maybe the Biodiversity mod may give you some ideas aswell
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9532.0 ;D

A muffalo rocking a duster wouldn't be all that bad either!

Noel

Tigers or Jaguars could work well for jungle areas.
-drag off colonists who were sleeping unsheltered during the night or who were traveling outside in small groups.
-stealthy creature, not visible on the map while stalking/unspotted.
-Spiked pit traps covered in jungle leaves could be used to fend off tigers/jaguars while a base is in its early stages.

This is the first time that I have posted, so I wanted to say that RimWorld is a truly awesome game and I am so glad that a game like this was made! I have enjoyed playing it.

-edit: corrected line break error

NoImageAvailable

- Megasnail: slow moving with very tough shell and likes to eat crops.
- Reindeer: occurs in Tundra and Boreal biomes, doesn't migrate in winter.
- Seals/penguins: occur in Arctic shelf biome.
- Lynx: predator native to Temperate and Boreal biomes, doesn't migrate in winter.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Axelios

I want to see predators using corpses as a food source, the way herbavores use crops
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Caminha

Quote from: Tynan on July 03, 2015, 02:50:37 PM
I'm looking for animal ideas! Here's some I have so far.

• Capybara
  • Brown bear
  • Polar bear
  • White Stag (specify)
  • Tunnel worms: Can tunnel through walls (perhaps damaging the wall, perhaps not). They appear at the deepest points in the colony, in mountain maps only. They appear with a worm hive, which slowly spawns additional worms. They defend their hive.
Got one that's straightforward but interesting? Please contribute. Bonus points if it ties in with existing systems. Simple animals without exotic behaviors are also good.

- Wild big cats
- Crabs (coastal maps)

NickB0

Jungle/Forest Spider: Just a giant spider.

Possible exotic behavior:

1. Wall climbing; can walk over walls (non roofed only)

2. Wrap and snatch - Spiders would poison a pawn (bite an unsuspecting pawn incapacitating them?), wrap and drag them into the jungle/away from colony, and guard it. The pawn would die within 12-24 hours if not rescued (use the same coding for disease/heat stroke e.g. minor, major, extreme ect). To rescue the pawn, the player will have to "strip" the webs off and probably defeat the guarding spider.
This can either be a storyteller event or the spider can opportunistically pray on a nearby pawn. Maybe it will do this whenever it needs food (every 2-3 days) and will mostly target animals, but if non are available humans are its next pray.

3. Webbing environment - Spiders occasionally leave webs on a cell, which slows down movement speed (spiders can move through freely). The webs can only be placed between trees. These may expire or there may be a web limit.

Sorry if this is a bit overcomplicated for a simple idea. Giant spiders are good without behavior too.

MrWiggles

Quote from: Axelios on July 03, 2015, 04:50:29 PM
I want to see predators using corpses as a food source, the way herbavores use crops
Predators don't eat carrion.
----------------
Axolotl, because all games need axolotl.

Ant mounds. They have mound, and effect a random assortment of squares within a small radius of itself. It ruins degrades meals and if colonist eat ant tainted food, it increases the possibility of them getting sick. Colonist also get bad thoughts for being in ant mound tile or being in an ant infested tile. It'll also wake up Colonists if on the mound or on an ant infested tile.

Hyenas. A pack animal that is spawned on the map, when there too many open air dead bodies. They procede to eat the bodies, leaving skellingtons.  Colonists would get a "Colonist being eaten" bad thought that would supersede the, "Colonist left unburied." They would be very aggressive, but wouldn't chase other animals and aren't edible.

Glow Ferret. At night it glows. It eats the fire exploding squirrels. When killed, it also explodes. High valued pelt. Bonus points if it pelt changed during winter months and was worth more.

Cats. They adopt a colonist and become that colonist pet. Colonist get happy thoughts when interacting socially with cats. I would include dogs, but dogs AI I think demands a much more complex ai, as you would want working dogs.

A Friend

Herds of unarmed mechanoid-like animals transporting tubes of nutrient paste.

- They won't really stay on the map for long.
- Slow.
- Drops nutrient paste when butchered.
- I dunno but since it's a mechanoid, you only butcher it for the paste then leave the corpse to disassemble later.

Got the idea from a E3 game trailer I watched. I think it was Horizon-something.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Grubfist

Raccoons (coon-skin caps? more active scavengers that prefer targeting unattended meals?)

Gorillas (break a lot of bones without cutting people as much? dark grey-black leather color?)

Raptors (likely to attack nearby colonists without provocation?)

Llamas! (who doesn't love llamas?)

SteelHeart

Silverfish: small critters that are genetically engineered to extract silver from the environment. It literally prints money!

Head Snags: a small creature that tries to melee humans. if it successfully melees a colonist`s head, then the damage is ignored and the Head Snag is deleted. The colonist now has a "Head Snag" object on their head and they become hostile to all.

jamesinar

Electro Slugs-They eat power conduits,batteries,and generators. Once they find a conduit they start eating and follow it to the source of current. When killed they do shock damage.

Kegereneku

- Very fast critters that can pass through vents and feed on foods, they are weak and avoid light or human, preferring to move at night.
(a Rat in short)
- Predator that hunt/feed on creature, stay sated for several days, then leave.
- BIG SAND WORMS which make soil fertile when killed.
Do not ask were I got such an original idea.

From a friend :
- Komodo Dragon (poisonous) or Crocodile
- Bird of Prey & Vulture
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

HalfmoonSmile

(Better) Snakes: (1) seek hotter areas while avoiding the cooler temps, (2) can crawl over unroofed walls and through vents/coolers, (3) create messes, and (4) have a large negative beauty modifier while alive; possibly have them sometimes spawning in indoor heated crop fields (dirt floor, heated), occupied colonist beds (spawn on rest?), or foodstuffs purchased from traders.

Rats: (1) don't attack active colonists, but chew on incapacitated/resting pawns specifically, (2) travel through vents/coolers, (3) damage food, and (4) create tons of mess; a massive food surplus could see a groups of them spawn, but with no pop-up until food is being damaged.

NemesisN

worms sound like a good idea for this type of game...its extra challenge they add to the game digging trough walls would be hard task to defend against...adding more difficulty...but still it is a good idea just don't make the game impossible you keep adding a lot of challenges and difficulty lately to the game

Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/