multiplayer mod?

Started by smileysticks, July 04, 2015, 02:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alistaire

It's impossible to make a multiplayer mod because there's no networking hooks in the public C# part of the code. The hardcoded stuff is inaccessible to the modding community and arguing that the Unity engine is capable of doing it is arguing you can DDoS your nan's washing machine because the factory that assembled its circuitry is capable of producing routers.

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Jaxxa

Why would it be illegal to make a multiplayer mod?

Toggle

Because it would require messing with the unity part, and then distributing it, and you can't distribute it as that's illegal as part of the agreement, or something like that. Or as someone else said, you'd basically need re-code the entire game and then distribute that to do it.

Hardstyler

Wow, i am actually ... how should i say it, surprised, by the huge amount of misinformations.
I really took my time to get into it and really tried to find anything stating or indicate that it would be "illegal" in any shape or form to modify a game that is Unity-Based to be multiplayer compatible if every legal point respected (licenses ect.). (UNLESS the Dev that build the game in the first place prohibit it what is not the case after checking every FAQ etc.)
Secondly, the Unity-Engine itself IS (and always will be, they are trying harder and harder to improve that part) able to work in Multiplayer and supports everything around it.

IF you are that kind of person thinking Multiplayer would NEVER ever work on Rimworld so it should not happen (because you are living in your tiny box), that is one thing...
But giving out false informations and threaten people that it would be illegal is just plain stupid.
Please, just give me (and everybody else) a source stating or indicating that it would be illegal... if you can, i will ask for apology... until then, i call you stupid and a liar!

Toggle

Quote from: Hardstyler on August 21, 2015, 08:05:46 PM
Wow, i am actually ... how should i say it, surprised, by the huge amount of misinformations.
I really took my time to get into it and really tried to find anything stating or indicate that it would be "illegal" in any shape or form to modify a game that is Unity-Based to be multiplayer compatible if every legal point respected (licenses ect.). (UNLESS the Dev that build the game in the first place prohibit it what is not the case after checking every FAQ etc.)
Secondly, the Unity-Engine itself IS (and always will be, they are trying harder and harder to improve that part) able to work in Multiplayer and supports everything around it.

IF you are that kind of person thinking Multiplayer would NEVER ever work on Rimworld so it should not happen (because you are living in your tiny box), that is one thing...
But giving out false informations and threaten people that it would be illegal is just plain stupid.
Please, just give me (and everybody else) a source stating or indicating that it would be illegal... if you can, i will ask for apology... until then, i call you stupid and a liar!

I don't know about re-coding it, but distributing it is. Which would be required. If you had a 'Multiplayer' mod, and you gave out the unity for it, you'd be distributing work by Tynan too for the rimworld code already there, aka illegal.

Alistaire

Well if you're so keen on making a multiplayer mod for no one but yourself, have fun. The point is there's no workable hooks provided for
netcode; even UnityEngine.dll uses internal calls so you have to edit the place where that's handled which is most likely the EXE (which is
a pain to edit, like you might as well rewrite the entire Unity project and compile that because decompiling it doesn't give you code but
rather a bunch of characters) so you'll have to distribute basically the full game for your mod to work, which doesn't sound very legal.

Hardstyler

There is a thing called "asking for permission" and probably even get the data needed from the dev itself.
And as i stated, i am not at all on the point to develope a MP Mod by myself, i am still learning.
I just really like to see MP happen, and in my opinion just calling it "illegal" is just wrong, because there could be a talented coder out there able to make it happen.
Actually nothing is illegal, you just have to have any permission needed. ;)

Toggle

It is illegal, unless you have permission, which nobody will get because nobody is going to make the mod. It's honestly, stupid, to expect someone to work so much to create a entire MULTI-PLAYER mod. Might as well as ask them to build you a new game.

Endovior

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 22, 2015, 07:12:55 AM
It is illegal, unless you have permission, which nobody will get because nobody is going to make the mod. It's honestly, stupid, to expect someone to work so much to create a entire MULTI-PLAYER mod. Might as well as ask them to build you a new game.

This, pretty much. Multiplayer is a fairly deep sort of functionality; by its nature, it needs to tie into the core mechanics of the game. That makes it extremely difficult to bolt on afterwards; given the complexities inherent in multiplayer (netcode and such), it needs to be implemented into the core game in order to work properly or well. That's the part that's questionably legal, since (as mentioned) it's not the kind of thing that you can install as a mod; it'd be more like a fork of the main game, that needs to be distributed as a package... which would, necessarily, include the core game itself (Tynan's work, the free distribution of which would constitute piracy).

These problems are compounded by the alpha nature of the game; things are still in flux and prone to mod-breaking changes. It's plenty of work just implementing something this fundamental at all; it'd be a lot more of a hassle to be doing so at cross-purposes with the developer. Realistically, then, if you want to implement multiplayer for Rimworld, you should send Ludeon your resume. If you're the kind of person who could do something like that, you should be doing so as part of the actual dev team, where you can implement the feature with official support, instead of as an outsider fiddling around with things, where any work you do is liable to be broken by the ongoing development process.

Toggle

Muramas

Only thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be is a market where you could trade with other colonies but more for a social experiment than for functionality.

Goo Poni

Would it not be possible to make yourself an installer for this? Y'know, like how a mod manager has the ability to look for core files to recognize where the game is? Have your installer go "hey, I don't see rimworld anywhere on this pc, I can't install". So you need to have Rimworld first to be able to make the changes.

I still think that even if you wanted to begin a project to add even the most crude implementation multiplayer that allows a few people to control the same colony, you'd be better off when Rimworld is released and mature enough that development can be considered finished. Otherwise you'd be constantly undermining Tynan to make things work and every patch would undo hours of tinkering. At the moment, you can't backdate Rimworld like you could before the Launcher allowed you to do it natively and legacy versions are not available to download, at least not legally. It'd be a solid effort in futility to try such things right now.

Hardstyler

I don't know why i still take the time for it, because some of you guys appear very, very biased but i will try it again.
As i told allready, i am not able to do it myself since i am not good enough... yet i think it's possible to achive Multiplayer for Rimworld without "rewriting the whole game" etc IF someone is willing and able to think outside the box.
Let me give you an example, even if it is not Rimworld, but "some people" argued the same way like you guys are doing right now on the topic.
The game is called Kerbal Space Program, it was never designed to be multiplayer... yet under https://d-mp.org/ you can find a full working (not illegal) multiplayer mod (server and client) for KSP. (https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer for the code).

But yeah, guess we have to wait and see if it, maybe, someday will happen.

Toggle

It won't happen, stop asking please.