[M | 0.11.857 Rev 1187] - Allowed area zoning doesn't seem to be working

Started by brianposburn, July 08, 2015, 10:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianposburn

Either that or my colonists are just total anarchists.

Environment:
Vanilla, all mods shut off.

Steps to Recreate:
Built an approximate 6x6 steel walled building with a door.
Mark the interior as allowed area.

Expected Results:
Colonists not to leave the building, even to get food / medicine / supplies.

Actual Results:
Blatant anarchy.  Disregards the zone.  Total breakdown of society!

Save game / world link - has above demo set up already:
AllowedAreaNotWorking.zip

TLHeart

so you expect them to starve?  The allowed zones are a restriction on where they can work, where they can collect resources, but do NOT prevent them from pathing outside the zone.

Drahkon

I'd agree on most of that, but I have seen them ignore area limits to do repairs as well, and that I'd have to question. I don't need half my colonists running out into a manhunter or extreme weather event to repair a bunch of sandbags a mad squirrel dragged turret fire across.

brianposburn

The way the description reads:
"Allowed areas are defined areas you can assign to colonists.  Colonists will not accept work or fulfill their needs outside of their allowed areas.   Unless I'm reading that bolded part wrong, I would expect them to stay inside until otherwise allowed out. 

The attached saved game was only to demonstrate what was going on.  When I ran across this oddness was in a modified game where I was trying to keep the colonists indoors while a warg attack was going on (there's a bug with one of the mods where you can't lock the doors, so this was my attempt at a work around).

In that case, I had restricted them to indoors, where there was plenty of food items, bedding, etc.  Their needs would of been met inside.  Except, they went about their merrily way, going outside to harvest food, etc.

TLHeart

The zones work when you set the colonist to use the zones. In your demo they are unrestricted. Can be seen in the pawn inspection panel. Need to create the restirction zone, then;
go to overview;
click the restriction tab;
go to the far right and assign the colonist to the zone you want them in;

Can also select a colonist,
on the inspection tab it show to the far right what zone they are allowed,
right click that,
and select what zone you want that colonist restricted to.

Zone are working fine, you just never set the colonist to use the zone.