Arbitrary apparel/skin/hair colors!

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2013, 12:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Just a real short update!

Been doing lots of audio stuff, but character graphics haven't totally been forgotten! We got fully recolorable hair, skin, and garments working. I even had to write a special shader for the skin so it wouldn't desaturate when darkened like this.

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hero

Are some of them nekkid? Thanks for the update!

Kender

lol, I found Tynan in it!

Can I capture him? XD
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Galileus

I must say, choice of Terraria's/Starbound's artist didn't really put me in very optimistic mood - I see aesthetics of both game as forcefully retro - but so far so good. And at end of the day any artist is only as good as his employer's vision, so here's hoping for some great art!

Tynan

Quote from: Galileus on December 12, 2013, 09:48:54 AM
I must say, choice of Terraria's/Starbound's artist didn't really put me in very optimistic mood - I see aesthetics of both game as forcefully retro - but so far so good. And at end of the day any artist is only as good as his employer's vision, so here's hoping for some great art!

I'm not into pixel art either - thankfully Rho is well at home working in vector. RimWorld was always going to have a simplified iconic style (for a lot of reasons - see the blog posts) and I think Rho is doing a great job executing that.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Galileus

I'm not 100% sure if I agree with art direction (despite all these reasons), but I'm 125% sure I don't dislike it, either. That being said, Rho as a clean slate artist in opposition of "that Terraria guy" definitely is a good news for me!

ShadowDragon8685

I actually kind of like the placeholder art, but something new might be nice, too.

I doubt that whatever you do, the graphics will make my computer squeal. It's the processor grind that causes that. If only there were some way to use my GPU's insane grunt to power the game...
Raiders must die!

Semmy

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on December 12, 2013, 01:49:47 PM
I actually kind of like the placeholder art, but something new might be nice, too.

I doubt that whatever you do, the graphics will make my computer squeal. It's the processor grind that causes that. If only there were some way to use my GPU's insane grunt to power the game...

Someday this will be fixed aswell since rimworld only runs at 1 core atm.
Tynan might take care of that in the future when he starts optimizing the game.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Jaxor

Some of the characters qualify as morbidly obese! I wonder if walking speed factors in with that? I do like the outfits, the overcoat/duster/trenchcoat gives that space western vibe nicely. :) Now they just need the hats to go with it. Some special mercenary garb would be cool, maybe bullet proof vests.

BTW the wiki seems to be down (PHP)

DeltaV

Precog up there looks like he's got some deformities going on :P

The only thing I'm not sure about is that side view of the fat people; they resemble overgrown potatoes more than hard-working colonists barely scraping by off of nutrient paste.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

NoSoAna

Quote from: Semmy on December 12, 2013, 01:51:52 PMSomeday this will be fixed aswell since rimworld only runs at 1 core atm.
Tynan might take care of that in the future when he starts optimizing the game.
I doubt it will happen, unless Tynan already planned to use more cores and designed the architecture around it. All I have read points to "major pain" when trying to add threads/multicore support retroactively, cause so much code needs to be "thread-proof".

That said, the possible gains from multi-thread would please me very much.

Rhopunzel

Quote from: Galileus on December 12, 2013, 09:48:54 AM

Believe it or not my "natural" style isn't remotely cartoony at all - when I do my own art it's almost always dark, gritty and realistic. I'd have loved to (and infact tried - the character format went through several vastly different iterations) use a dark gritty style for this, but sadly the design requirements (Minimal animation for ease of customisation/modding, distinguishability at extremely small sizes, etc) necessitated the use of simple iconic graphics. Believe me, Tynan and I spent weeks trying all kinds of different character concepts, and this was the one we finally settled on satisfying the criteria.

I'm glad I haven't disappointed you though!

Galileus

Rhopunzel - this is Will Wheaton vs Weasly Crusher case ;) You don't judge an actor for the role that was written for him. So as far as your previous commercial creations aren't really to my liking, I do judge them separately from anything else you can or will create. I did enough such gigs myself to know what a difference expectations from employer mean.

Anyhow, do you have any showcase to your name of your... "free of expectations"... works? I must say you got me wondering what Starbound's artist does in his free hours ;)

Rhopunzel

Quote from: Galileus on December 13, 2013, 05:38:00 PM
Rhopunzel - this is Will Wheaton vs Weasly Crusher case ;) You don't judge an actor for the role that was written for him. So as far as your previous commercial creations aren't really to my liking, I do judge them separately from anything else you can or will create. I did enough such gigs myself to know what a difference expectations from employer mean.

Anyhow, do you have any showcase to your name of your... "free of expectations"... works? I must say you got me wondering what Starbound's artist does in his free hours ;)

No problem! I get that kind of stuff isn't personal and people don't have anything else to go by.

I hate to shill my own art page, but http://rhopunzel.deviantart.com/gallery/ is where most of my "personal" stuff is. Anything non-Starbound/Gnomoria is personal work, though I haven't been able to do any of my own stuff for a while as working on 3 games pretty much takes up all my creative energy. ;)