Crash Landing Mod - Ice Shelf Survival Challenge

Started by Elixiar, July 05, 2015, 06:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

So recently I've been trying just the crash landing mod on an ice shelf.
Makes me feel like I'm re-enacting the film 'the Grey' (Liam Neeson)

Anyway, as if Ice shelf was not intense enough, I have found it almost impossible to last more than 7 days, usually managing to at least get some heat source going but ultimately dying of hunger or insanity.

So I pose to you a new challenge!
Can you survive a true crash landing in the harshest environment this dust Rock has to offer?!

Whether you survive or expire, post your attempts below!

Edit: as kaballah mentioned about the temperatures, anywhere from around 0'c to -40 and game mode difficult can't be on easy (so you get the true crash landing experience), no need to make it too cold as its already pretty hard.

Crash Landing Mod Link:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967.0
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

keylocke

is crash landing mod compatible with edb prep carefully mod? or is using prep carefully considered as "cheating" lol.

Elixiar

For this specific Challange, yes it's cheating :P

Along with anything that isn't just cosmetic or small like weapon mods or light mods.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

nils

Quote from: Elixiar on July 05, 2015, 06:34:47 AM
Can you survive a true crash landing in the harshest environment this dust Rock has to offer?!

I'm in.

Kaballah

Ought to be specific about temperature ranges, because there's -15C Pansy Ice Shelf and -95C Brass Monkey Begs For Mercy Ice Shelf.

nils

I went into this without knowing what to expect (never played Ice Shelf nor the Crash mod). Survived for 31 days.

I picked an ice shelf spot at random and probably got one of the more mild ones, temperature wasn't that bad, so Kaballah is right. It will make a huge difference.

Also, I assumed default difficulty (Cassandra on Challenging). I did not reroll any colonists. Finally, I picked the largest map size because I always do - but really, that was quite a problem because I kept searching for stuff in time critical moments. I am not sure if it also means that the crashed parts are strewn about more.

The challenge (and mod) is a lot of fun. I've recorded my game and might post it.

Thanks, Elixiar, for the suggestion! I will most definitely try it again.

Kaballah

If you try this with a seriously cold map (-80C or colder in midwinter) and you just take random colonists with random vanilla gear (i.e. I don't they can ever start with parkas in vanilla) then you are probably not going to make it past the first couple of days.  You have to immediately make an enclosure and build a fire (there goes a sizable percentage of your extremely finite budget of wood) and try to get some power infrastructure and an electric heater built ASAP to give your colonists some place to not be frozen solid, meanwhile trying to pull in the survival meals and maybe a bit of loose metal.  Cannibalism is very nearly mandatory, when you have visitors cross the map you'll be seriously considering ambushing them for their valuable meat and leather and whatever crummy equipment they happen to be carrying, because you need EVERYTHING, desperately.

Axelios

I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Kaballah

Well roll a world with the seed:
mak31337

at max dimensions, and switch the map view to Elevation when embarking and look at the high points in the northwest corner.

xlockeed

This was done before. However your challenge is neat in the fact it is Crash landing. Both are not easy to play at start.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8626.0
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

Headshotkill

MEGA BONUS CHALLENGE: Use the superior crafting mod!

mrofa

Elixiar thats not much of a challange, main danger of the ship parts is fire, and since on ice shelf you dont get any plants nothing will burn so your left with additional resources insted of challange.

I would stick with Headshotkill suggestion and look for map where summer is around -20 -30 so in winter you actually need to squeeze alot from your heaters :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Raufgar

Quote from: mrofa on July 06, 2015, 04:40:41 PM
Elixiar thats not much of a challange, main danger of the ship parts is fire, and since on ice shelf you dont get any plants nothing will burn so your left with additional resources insted of challange.

I would stick with Headshotkill suggestion and look for map where summer is around -20 -30 so in winter you actually need to squeeze alot from your heaters :D

...Fire will burn your resources before your freezing colonists can put them out in time, not to mention the dropping of ship parts on your enclosure/cave. If you are really unlucky, a reactor will drop and you'll get frozen, burning & irradiated colonists.

I just played this. Only one survived the initial drop. In a 3 x 3 hovel. And a pile of packaged meals. Did I mention I see wolfies now?
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Elixiar

Quote from: mrofa on July 06, 2015, 04:40:41 PM

Well, pretty much all the resources land in fuel puddles, ontop of that Fire spreads across items too, you don't need the plants for the fire to be a threat.
Likely chance is that at least one colonist will be incapacitated on landing and the other 2 injured, from there the next 2 pieces of debris from orbit may be easy to save. From there the whole sky starts falling.
Food or people? - more people can save more resources, but more mouths to feed means starvation faster.
Weapons or building supplies? - that masterclass charge rifle will be useless if everyone has frozen to death, but leave it? Defense less.

Likely it's not the cold that needs to kill you. It's just a background threat that especially heat tolerant colonists will succumb to faster.
I just played a game again and saved about 6 colonists and a ton of food, but after dragging the others into an ancient ruin, only 1 of them could walk. Sent him out to get metal but by the time he was finished he was slow from hypothermia with frostbite on both his hands. Over the next 4 days 5 of them died of infections since an exploding engine consumed the medicine pods.
Finally, I did manage to build a wind turbine, battery and a heater.
By then my last survivor was starving, and collapsed for the last time.

I'd heavily suggest trying it first before you say how difficult it is or not. Like said, the cold itself isn't the main Challange which is why it doesn't matter what temp aslong as its below 0'c. :P

SpaceDrunk

Quote from: Headshotkill on July 06, 2015, 01:59:04 PM
MEGA BONUS CHALLENGE: Use the superior crafting mod!

Unless one of the crashing modules dumps wood or planks (I've never seen that happen), I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible to progress with Superior Crafting + Crash Landing on the ice sheet, because the mod changes the production chain and resources so that you need wooden planks to make your research bench. To make planks you need a sawmill, which itself requires wood to build - wood that you won't have. Since the trading beacon and comms are locked behind research, without access to wood you can't do anything and will only last a few days because heaters are also locked behind research, and you won't have the wood to build campfires. You could use metal to erect a small shelter around a steam vent, but even you do that, you're only delaying the inevitable because you won't be able to make any of the basic structures and workbenches.

Even without the Crash Landing mod, I'm not sure the wood you normally start with is enough to carry you through if you're using SC.