What should our goal be in this game?

Started by Headshotkill, July 08, 2015, 02:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headshotkill

Something I've been wondering about for as long as this game exists, back in the early alpha games I was convinced it was really building up a colony, a place for anyone that is forced or just wants to live another way.

The current mechanics of the game have made this goal nearly impossible in the long run, with mechanics that promote building the escape ship instead of permanently living on the planet.
This also seems to me in the way how there are little mechanics and features for longterm colonies and the fact the population in the vanilla game remains very low usually.

Besides that I think the game, in it's lore has skipped some important historical periods, meaning we go from stone-age right back up to hyper sci-fi.

Anyone who feels to share their point of view?

NemesisN

ummm...I don't know...maybe survive...is that not the goal of a colony survival game ?
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

Kegereneku

I'm fine with mostly survival myself, I consider a game like this NEED ending (plural).
When a game is as focused as Rimworld on making each play really unique with different biome, events, choice, character... its strength lies in knowing how to stop on a good note and starting anew with no regret.
Else you risk getting the player bored with the main mechanic and the time it take to do anything.

(Right now) the gameplay is most suited for 5~12 colonists (and ~2/5years)
...yet some players will be hoping for less survival and more prosperity. However I don't see Rimworld really fit for more than 30 colonists even if I know it's possible to reach 200. Nor do I see it last over 6~8 years (especially since day length have increased).

Ideally the game would be just as fun with 12 colonist for 2years, than 50 for 10years. In practice some feature simply don't scale well. The Tech-tree is finite, micro-management go from a pleasure to a chore, you loose sight of individual traits/relations and characters death become a statistic.

That's all I wanted to say on this.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

TwixFunSize

Rimworld is more about the fun that goes on and how you interact with your colonists. Its not about If you win or lose

Ramsis

I just play until I get bored with my current colony, then I stop playing for a few days/weeks and come back. If you want to mix it up even more you should go play with some mods. Superior Crafting is probably one of the best mods to start off with due to it being heavily tested and pretty much complete in terms of nothing is vastly OP.

Tynan added the ship quite a few months ago and I never use it, it's an unfit end to a game that is all about a colony trying to survive and despite how it works, I'd imagine most of the colonists would probably prefer to stay in their base/town they spent a year forming.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

mc858

whats the goal to life really?

survive for as long as possible in Rimworld- thats my goal

make sure you play on harder difficultys if you dont feel challenged. Make no mistake- this game is about staying alive

i never build the escape pods- i just try to last until i die or get bored.

AN7AG0NIS7

It's about the journey, not the destination!

Of course, some people go further than others and some people end up as hats..

Tericc

Quote from: AN7AG0NIS7 on July 08, 2015, 09:14:20 PM
It's about the journey, not the destination!

Of course, some people go further than others and some people end up as hats..

This might sound wrong or maybe this game has changed me for the worse...but I need a T-shirt with that quote...

Headshotkill

Quote from: Ramsis on July 08, 2015, 05:36:09 PM
I just play until I get bored with my current colony, then I stop playing for a few days/weeks and come back. If you want to mix it up even more you should go play with some mods. Superior Crafting is probably one of the best mods to start off with due to it being heavily tested and pretty much complete in terms of nothing is vastly OP.

Tynan added the ship quite a few months ago and I never use it, it's an unfit end to a game that is all about a colony trying to survive and despite how it works, I'd imagine most of the colonists would probably prefer to stay in their base/town they spent a year forming.

I do play with a wide array of mods, like superior crafting that doesn't change the lore of the game much but just expands the things that are already there.
It is this why I was worried, since I found these mods I found vanilla rimworld to really lack that aspect, but I guess some people think different about it so it's a good thing these mods exist in the first place.

It was and is a wise choice for any game with high replay-value to invest in being mod-friendly, I'm not sad about the period without updates up ahead because we have these mods.

Klitri

It's not anyone's place to say what the game is and isn't, considering it was made as a storytelling colony simulator. If you want to win or lose, that's your choice, nobody should be saying that that's wrong or improper to play. If you want to have 200 people, have 200 people, don't tell others that that's wrong.

CheeseGromit

Quote from: Ramsis on July 08, 2015, 05:36:09 PM
I just play until I get bored with my current colony...

That's exactly how I play as well. I've really struggled to find a difficulty level that suits me. The easiest ones are a bit too slow paced and the rest seem to scale the raids up far too fast, both in terms of my ability to cope and providing a fairly short overall play length.

I've used the ship a few times but generally don't bother and agree with your opinion of it. My dream is still to blast of one one world when I've had enough and restart on another.

muffins

I've never used the ship myself. I don't see the point. If I want to end the game I'll use Options>Quit lol

I always play on a big map and my goal is always to build up a massive colony and then expand the colony physically so that it dominates the map like a city. In one game several versions ago I managed to fortify/wall off the entire map edge.

Mrshilka

To turn everything that attacks your colony into the maximum amount of silver.

ProBro

The ship ending is depressing and I'd rather stay in the nice colony I built.    Make the ship ending happy and it might be worth building. 

Devon_v

To crush our enemies, to see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of the organ donors.