What other games do you play that are like Rimworld??

Started by mc858, July 08, 2015, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

Topic- I want to see how many games are even like this one......I dont know of many

Gnomeria is my fave right now

I tried Dwarf Fortress- its waaaay too complicated and im not a person that usually gives up trying (i mastered Distant Worlds which is another maze of a game) - but i had to on this one

Rimworld/Gnomeria is working out for me- what about you fellas, any recommendations ?

Jaxxa

I picked up Space Colony on steam recently.
It is an older game with a few similarities to Rimworld.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297920/

mc858

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 08, 2015, 06:49:05 PM
I picked up Space Colony on steam recently.
It is an older game with a few similarities to Rimworld.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297920/

wow that looks really cool actually. I added it to my steam list. Have you played startopia? I think you would like that game for sure

christhekiller

Prison Architect is kinda similar. Mostly just the look, but it's also another top down building simulator that's in early access, and the developers (Mark and Chris) release an update on a monthly basis and always release a video detailing the changes/ additions which are pretty funny.

mc858

Quote from: christhekiller on July 08, 2015, 09:18:45 PM
Prison Architect is kinda similar. Mostly just the look, but it's also another top down building simulator that's in early access, and the developers (Mark and Chris) release an update on a monthly basis and always release a video detailing the changes/ additions which are pretty funny.

ya i got that already- what an amazingly fun game. I bought it along with Project Zomboid and Dwellers

Toggle

Is prison architect not kind of an ass to start up for everyone else, as in as you start playing and figuring it out and making everything work? Like indoor areas. What the hell is with walls and cement and making it an indoor area...
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

BugPowderDust

Zombie- this is a common problem- remember that it's nothing like Rimworld when building walls and expecting a roof/indoors area.

In PA, you specifically have to choose 'Foundations' in order to build an indoor area- not just join up 4 walls...

nmid

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

wakko151

Prison architect uses a simlar art style and AI priority listing but you only build in that one. Its not about controling the guys like you can in Rimworld. But it is very intresting and would love to see more games made in thsi fashion of top down simple art style with advanced AI and simulated models. Just makes for better gameplay thats emergent and not hand designed.

magicbush

Quote from: nmid on July 09, 2015, 02:42:23 AM
Banished :)

Not really anything like Rimworld. I played it a bit but its lacking a lot for me. I like Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress though. DF is pretty complicated, but using the newbie pack which adds graphics and mods like dwarf therapist helps a ton. Its very fun ifyou can get past the learning curve!

keylocke

edit : some of these games aren't released yet. i just put it there coz i thought it might be interesting. (eventually)

dwarf fortress (the big daddy)
gnomoria (almost pure df clone)
evil genius (friggin awesome)
stonehearth (a bit too early in the alpha)
folk tale (3d same as above, it also seems to tackle more than it can chew)
banished (no battles)
towns (discontinued?)
towncraft (buggy?)
craft the world (side scrolling)
maia (3d awesome atmospherics, slow dev)
dwelvers (3d + dungeons + colony sim)
astrobase command (3d slow dev)
space colony (isometric, fairly new but looks like dated)
the spatials (iso, casual colony sim)
embark (saw this on the off-topic boards, looks awesome)
clockwork empires (needs an i5 and up or it runs slow)
dwarfcorp (2d sprites + 3d environ)
castle story (dev hell?)

edit : almost forgot
timber and stone (they're now on steam, voxel colony sim)
keeper RL : (looks interesting)
--------------

i also would like to know more.

Jaxxa

Quote from: keylocke on July 09, 2015, 11:27:35 PM

Space colony isn't fairly new, the reason it looks dated is that it was first released in 2003.
It was re-released and remastered earlier this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Colony_(video_game)

keylocke

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 09, 2015, 11:47:06 PM
Quote from: keylocke on July 09, 2015, 11:27:35 PM

Space colony isn't fairly new, the reason it looks dated is that it was first released in 2003.
It was re-released and remastered earlier this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Colony_(video_game)

ah, it looks dated coz it *is* dated. ok, gotcha.  ;)

Toggle

Quote from: BugPowderDust on July 09, 2015, 02:39:43 AM
Zombie- this is a common problem- remember that it's nothing like Rimworld when building walls and expecting a roof/indoors area.

In PA, you specifically have to choose 'Foundations' in order to build an indoor area- not just join up 4 walls...

That's what I mean. The only way indoors ever works for me is if it's 4 walls together, I place the brick, then I place the concrete over the finished product, and if there's a 2nd indoor room beside it, the wall dividing them gets completely torn down. This is the only way indoor areas ever worked for me, and not even all the time.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

skullywag

Cannot play timber and stone since the texture/model changes, lost sooo much of its appeal for me, happy for Robert to take on the help from the forum guys who are now helping him build it but it seems the direction on things like this is changing....sadly itll sit in my bought Alpha and it changed too much pile (its on its own in that pile)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?