Cryptosleep

Started by killer117, July 08, 2015, 09:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer117

In one game, id basically lost when a bunch of mechanoids killed my best three dudes and trashed my base. We brought down the last centerpede but i only had 4 guys left by then. I was a little bored, id been playing for a few hours, and i wanted to screw round and do something new. So i took my forest map, and just trashed it with dev mode. Its now nuclear volcanic wasteland with hundreds of corpses everywhere, at a permanent negative temptiture and with an evil ship at extreme levels out front, and the map covered in snow.

I locked my surviving people in my half finished base, deep inside a mountain, inside cryptopods. And i left the game running. Unfortunetly even on max speed for two hours i didnt get too far ahead in time. What id like is to hook up an AI core to my pods, that skips me a certain amount of time foreward, to when itll wake up my people. The map realoads and stuff degrades and all in that time. I just think itll be a cool little side feture thatll only really be good for a really late game thing or for cheaty players. But i think itd be a little fun to do
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Toggle

Eh, would require the time to make it when it would be useless as you'd require a new colonist to open them.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

killer117

No i mean like, the cryptopods are timed to open by the AI. Say, 2 thousand years, then the map regenerates as it would be 2 thousand years in the future, and ur guys automatically wake up at the end of the timer. Then u can put it all back together
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Lonely Rogue

I don't know about you, but at least the ship cryopods can be ejected automatically by the player, mine was connected by structural support beam to the a.i. core.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Toggle

Yeah ship ones can. This seems like a lot of work though for the calculations for everything, as basically you'd start in the same landscape but with all the plants refreshed, your buildings destroyed, and new colonies and everything. So everything but the mined out mountain and the cryptocaskets would be like starting a new map.

killer117

Yeah, but youd have the same colonists, and you could scavenge the ruins of ur former colony for supplies, and not everything would be destroyed. Youd have plenty of buildings and stuff in them, or stuff under a mountain would still be there. And of course, the tomb you wake up in would be prodominetly intact. Itd just be a cool kinda start i think

jamesinar

Maybe with a chance of a pod failing killing the colonist inside.

Toggle

Quote from: killer117 on July 10, 2015, 09:00:07 PM
Yeah, but youd have the same colonists, and you could scavenge the ruins of ur former colony for supplies, and not everything would be destroyed. Youd have plenty of buildings and stuff in them, or stuff under a mountain would still be there. And of course, the tomb you wake up in would be prodominetly intact. Itd just be a cool kinda start i think

Yeah, stuff under a mountain MIGHT still be there, but everything else would be gone. Over 2000 years new ruins would appear, the mountains would be mined for ore, mechanoids and raiding factions would of utterly destroyed all your original buildings, or other colonies that came through that area. It would be like starting a new game with some cryptosleep pods and the same colonists. Heck, I'd be surprised if the pods even made it 100 years before being opened.

killer117

But its like ur colonies gone dark. No ones gonna go there after all the outside stuffs been raided. Youd be like those cryptosleep tombs u can find. Anything couldve happened when u wake up. And if ur preparing to do something like this, u could store some gear nearby, or in the room. Then you could wake up to this whole new map. It could be frozen over. It could be a nuclear wasteland. It could be the site of a huge battle. Who knows. Thats why i think itd be cool

Kegereneku

I suggest myself to have a "Cryptosleep End" equivalent to the "Spaceship End", but I would not like either to have a follow up "1000 years later".
Mostly because A Good game is a game that know when & how to End.

So much can happen in the time-duration needed to return everything to wilderness that the planet might as well actually get colonized, our colonist rescued (this is the point of the casket), or killed by a cave in.

It would be more logical/realistic to have your colonist just move to another locations.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Lonely Rogue

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 11, 2015, 09:03:00 AM
I suggest myself to have a "Cryptosleep End" equivalent to the "Spaceship End", but I would not like either to have a follow up "1000 years later".
Mostly because A Good game is a game that know when & how to End and.

So much can happen in the time-duration needed to return everything to wilderness that the planet might as well actually get colonized, our colonist rescued (this is the point of the casket), or killed by a cave in.

It would be more logical/realistic to have your colonist just move to another locations.

I support this heresy.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

DaemonDeathAngel

I can see where this guy's coming from with his idea, and you all mention that other colonies/raiders/etc would have changed the landscape in the span of the years. But as he said in the first post, that's not true. His maps stuck in a below freezing temperature, and is a nuclear wasteland, thus, no one would colonize it. I agree it'd be a real pain in the arse to do something like this, and highly unneeded, but it is still a good idea. Not necessarily one that SHOULD be done, but it COULD be done. A good idea nonetheless.

Toggle

Quote from: DaemonDeathAngel on July 11, 2015, 01:40:59 PM
I can see where this guy's coming from with his idea, and you all mention that other colonies/raiders/etc would have changed the landscape in the span of the years. But as he said in the first post, that's not true. His maps stuck in a below freezing temperature, and is a nuclear wasteland, thus, no one would colonize it. I agree it'd be a real pain in the arse to do something like this, and highly unneeded, but it is still a good idea. Not necessarily one that SHOULD be done, but it COULD be done. A good idea nonetheless.

The fallout would end in a year max, and say you put 10 people in the deepsleep pods and set it to some thousands in the future, hell with rimworld we don't know. The entire map might of changed, you may of lost 9 of your colonists due to unknown reasons (Other people colonizing and unlocking the pods, like we do), the map geo-forming because of rimworld tatertot technology, etc.

DaemonDeathAngel

I'm not disagreeing with you but no one knows for sure how long a nuclear fallout actually lasts. Mainly due to the extent he described, that would, theoretically, affect a huge percentage of a(n) (imaginary) globe. Something to that degree could last 10s to 100s, maybe even a 1000+ years. No one can say, because its never actually happened.

Toggle

Quote from: DaemonDeathAngel on July 11, 2015, 02:28:07 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you but no one knows for sure how long a nuclear fallout actually lasts. Mainly due to the extent he described, that would, theoretically, affect a huge percentage of a(n) (imaginary) globe. Something to that degree could last 10s to 100s, maybe even a 1000+ years. No one can say, because its never actually happened.

Actually I'm pretty sure Tynan has specifically stated it lasts a few months to a year in the alpha 11 video. The event doesn't last years.